Return to the Laundry Room Forum

o
Questions about Fisher & Paykel washers.

Posted by Zhanna (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 28, 05 at 9:40

We have no washer and dryer at that moment and need them!!! The reviews for Fisher & Paykel machines are excellent, but few things from what I read bother me.

The size is huge... does it mean that I can wash big things? Like comforters (queen size) and/or pillows?

People mentioned that the washers can get confused with bulky loads like big blankets, and with light loads as well... and you have to try to move wet clothes around to see if it fixes it... if not - you take wet clothes out?? Has it happened to you?

Also, between two machines L11 and L12 (I think) - the difference in price is over $200. Is that worth it? What does it do for that extra money? Our local Lowes does not have L12 in the store, I only saw the pictures of it. Or should I just spend the money, if it does something L11 does not?

How long do any of you, owners of these machines, have had them? I want themt to last long long time!

There is not a place for bleach in the washer, right?

Do you need to use HE det. or not? Will regular one do the job?

Does it really clean the clothes good? If yes - why? What is so different there from other machines as far as the method of washing?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about Fisher & Paykel washers.

No experience with quilts, but it will wash 23 shirts at once...top-loading dryer is wonderful, as well. I've had mine for about a year, does escellently; the agitator is better than others.
I have the 11 (cheaper washer). How much are they asking for the pair? I paid $1,200, everything included except tax (delivery, setup, removal of old pair, dryer cord). I shopped six dealers.
Bleach goes in with detergent (I haven't needed).
Use ordinary detergent.
Does interesting things with water flow, etc. Also, very quiet. Very fast spin is available.
It's a top load machine which has been very well thought out. Excellent performance.

o

The models are GWL11 (EcoSmart) and IWL12 (Intuitive Eco).

The capacity is quite large, but probably not as large as the GE Harmony or the LG, Duet, and HE3/4(t) frontloaders. My IWL12 can handle my queen-size comforter, and I've done two queen-size pillows. I've also done a queen-size HEAVILY-quilted bedspread, but it's a tight fit.

I'm not sure what you mean by "confused with bulky loads like big blankets, and with light loads as well..." The auto water level sensing can be thrown a bit inaccurate by some kinds of items -- a single bulky item, for example. But it's easy to just manually select a specific water level. If you mean trouble with getting off-balance, I have had that occur a few times, for example with a single cotton blanket that gets very heavy when wet, but that's not an unreasonable or unexpected thing to happen. Both models have an off-balance sensor, and can be programmed to either stop and beep for assistance, or refill and agitate before trying to spin again.

Neither machine has a liquid bleach dispenser. Bleach can be added at the start of the load, or later after it has washed for a bit if one doesn't mind coming back to do that. I rarely use bleach so it isn't a problem for me either way.

The IWL12 has an automatic fabric sensing feature that the GWL11 does not have. Basically, when washing a "regular" load in the IWL12, you just select "How Dirty" (which determines the wash time), and whether the load needs a special care option such as "Creasables" or "Woolens" or "Handwash" and then press start. Via a series of agitation strokes that sense the load resistance via the computer-controlled motor, it determines the best agitation speed (from a wide range of possibilities) for the mix of fabrics in the load. The GWL11 has the usual assortment of specific cycles for fabric types -- Heavy, Regular, Perm Press, Delicate, and Woolens -- which sets the agitation speed.

The IWL12 has what F&P calls "Lifecycles" -- pre-programmed cycles for particular washing situations -- certain stains, sweaty clothes, muddy clothes, shoes, bulky items such as comforters, and so forth. Some of these cycles can do temperature combinations and washing actions that aren't possible on the GWL11. There are also a few more customization options that the GWL11 doesn't have.

If you are more of the type that wants to just load the clothes, choose a cycle and go, then the GWL11 would do fine. If you sometimes want to closely control the various parameters of the washing process, or be able to more-easily deal with special washing situations, then the IWL12 fits that bill.

HE detergent is NOT required, but CAN be used if desired.

What's different about the F&P washing process is the "EcoActive" feature. In order to save energy, the machine (both of them) will fill with JUST enough water at the selected temperature to saturate the clothes and dissolve the detergent. Then, while the wash tub slowly rotates, this concentrated detergent solution is sprayed over the clothes to pre-treat and loosen soil. This spray phase continues for several minutes. Then the machine fills the rest of the way with COLD water for an agitated deep wash to massage the loosened soil out of the clothes.

There have been one or two posts in this forum from people who didn't care for the washing action, but I find it to be quite effective. One "common" complaint about the GWL11 is that it's normally not possible to get a full-fill HOT wash. There is a way to do it, but some preliminary set-up programming is required. The more expensive IWL12 has a specific option to do a Traditional Wash that doesn't require any extra programming. Thus, the IWL12 provides the best of both worlds -- the energy-saving advantage of the EcoActive process, and the ability to easily do a "traditional" wash when desired.

o

Both washer models are of the same 3.7 cu size, right? We went to the one of the stores yesterday and there was a sticker 3.0 on lower end model, but they looked the same to me.
The prices in our area seem to be the same..

$629 for GWL11 and $779 for top load dryer (I do not want the one one). GWL12 is $849. $220 difference... I will go with the lower end one. All I need is to have my clothes clean!

o

ok, we just purchased top load dryer and GWL11 washer... cannot wait! Hope I will like it. I hate to go thru learning curve, and I know those machines are different, but hope it will worth it!

o

Zhanna - I have the GWL11 and top load dryer........Couldn't be happier with results. The GWL11 is a very interesting machine - even after almost a year, I'm still really pleased that I went with this purchase. I like that I can put in just a few pieces if I have an emergency need for certain dirtied items - and machine handles without fuss [my older Whirlpool top loader would get out of balance in a heart-beat...] I don't put my king-size comforter in this washer, but I didn't put it in my other washer either. For that matter, I wasn't looking for a machine for the primary purpose of being able to wash my comforter in it. I wanted one that could handle my daily laundry needs well - and the GWL11 does that. I bring my comforter to the cleaners when it has need of cleaning. And - after 8 months of using the top load dryer - I love it still just as much if not more than when I first got it. I really like being able to shake clothes out of washer and just drop into dryer - and if I need to pull out a certain piece, it's so easy to find . I love the reverse tumble feature. Good luck!

o

We also have the GWL11 washer and top load dryer. Have really enjoyed using them for four months now. We are pretty easy on our laundry needs, but do 4-6 loads of cottons (underwear, Tees, and bedsheets) and permanent press shirts/Docker pants per week.

Best thing about the washer: auto load sensing. Since we don't have kids and our CA king-sized bedspreads get done at the commercial laundromat, it's a joy to be able to throw any size load in and have the machine know what water level to use. We've already seen a big drop in our water usage. We started using less soap, too, and the clothes are coming out cleaner than with our previous (and very reliable) heavy-duty Kenmore pair.

Best thing about the dryer: a tie between the top-load (so easy to throw the laundry in!), the reverse tumble (the sheets come out MUCH less wrinkled), and the lint cup (it rocks!).

No wait, maybe the best thing about buying the F&P pair is that my DH now does the laundry, he thinks the machines are cool, it's so easy to do (95% of the laundry is done with the standard settings), and makes neat high-tech whining sounds instead of the old thump-gurgle-thump-sloshing sounds of the old Kenmores.

Best purchase I ever made, hehehe.....wonder what F&P makes that could get him into washing windows and scrubbing the kitchen floor??

o

Is the gentleness of Fisher & Paykel washer comparable to a front loader. I'm engaged to be married and my fiance has a Maytag top loader. It's only 3 years old but I hate it. I had a Frigidaire front loader until November and now I have a Maytag Neptune front loader that I got after the Fridgidaire failed (bearings-advised not worth repairing, it was almost 5 yrs old). Anyway, my fiance's washer ruins my knits (even on gentle cylce). I've already have to replace several things that have been all stretched out of shape. I was just wondering how the F & P is as far as gentleness. I think my fiance is impressed with the F & P, I lean more towards the front loader. I don't think I ever want to own another top loader. Once you go front loader, I can't see any reason to ever look back. I'm still saying this even with all the complications I've been having with my Neptune, at least it doesn't ruin my clothes. I have quite a few silk Ralph Lauren knit tops and I would NEVER stick them in the Maytag top loader.

Leslie

o

Breesmom,
F&P uses agitator to wash the clothing similar to most top loaders.
For your case, it is wise to stick to FL for gentleness.

o

Some Maytag toploaders don't have a two-speed motor, always run on one speed, full speed. The "delicate" cycle works by alternate agitation and soaking periods, which theoretically should be gentle, but may not be in practice.

The F&P IWL12 has a Handwash setting that is VERY gentle.

o

ok... who beleives in a spell?? We bought a new house and have no luck there at all!!

StartED with the move itselt... the movers did a lot of damage to the furniture. Almost 3 months after the move we are still looking for the resolution! They drive us nuts, do not return our calls, do not come, lie!

Our newly bought Kenmore fridge died on us after a month of use.

Sears brought a new one - and the door had a dent in it!

We got GE washer/dryer from Sears - washer broke after a month or so.

We ordered Maytag Neptune from Home Depot and then heard horrible reviews and cancelled the sale within 3 days - not without the problems!

We got a furniture for 3 rooms from some european store and all 3 sets came with problems, we still try to get pieces here and there to have them complete.

Now, we ordered F & P washer and dryer from Lowes... my laundry piles up, could not wait, could NOT wait to get them. My husband stayed home waiting for the delivery. They brought the machines - and both, dryer and washer, had dents in them! My husband refused the delivery!

I could see if it was all from the same place, but it is not! I am ready to scream..!!! No, I am SCREAMING!

o

That denting was Lowes fault not F&P. I used to work at Lowes for a short time and things got bent up several times while I was there.

o

ohh, I am not blaming F&P, I know it was not their fault... I just want to do my laundry! Some day I will, hopefully. Today we have to call Lowes to see if they have more of F&P in stock, if not - they will have to order them, meaning - we will have to wait some more...

o

I am confused about the annual water use figures for the F&P washers. I know these are still top loaders, and as such they do not realize the huge water savings that front loaders do. But can anyone explain why the GWL11 comes in at 9,937 gal/yr while the IWL12 shows 15,123 gal/yr? That is as much or more than conventional top loaders. (See attached Energy Star link)

If lower water consumption is one of my criteria for choosing a new washer, maybe the F&P are not such a good choice after all. Any thoughts or comments would certainly be appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Energy Star Qualified Washers

o

Well I have the gwl11 and it uses less water than any other tl washer I've ever owned and produced water savings right off the bat. I absolutely love my f&p washer and wouldn't trade it for anything else except perhaps another f&p. I don't really care for the f&p tl dryer but the washer is very nice and I would highly recommend it.

o

The GWL11 does a shower rinse by default. The IWL12 does a deep rinse by default. EnergyStar ratings are done per the default settings of the machines. The testing procedure assumes that the user will not change those settings or take the time to investigate all the machine's options.

The IWL12 has a shower rinse option, and CAN be set to equal (or possibly even EXCEED, as it has more rinsing options) the frugalness of the GWL11.

o

Thanks DADoES.......that explains the water use difference. Do you know if changing the rinse type on the IWL12 is something that would need done with every load or is the default something that could be programmed to happen every time?

o

Either way. There are several rinse options that can be "permanently" programmed, and a couple water-saving rinse adjustments that can be set on-the-fly per-cycle.

When setting the rinse per-cycle, the option is called "Save Water" and has three choices -- Off, Save Water, and Eco (Save Water ++). The effect depends on what is the standard rinse of the selected cycle.

If standard is a spin-spray with deep rinse, then:
Save Water = Shower Rinse (3 to 4 shower rinses)
Eco = Eco Spray Rinse (25% less volume than a 'regular' Shower Rinse).

If standard is two deep rinses (Creasables cycle, for example, or the Comforter Lifecycle), then:
Save Water = one deep rinse
Eco = Eco Spray Rinse.

Further on the secondary Options Menu (accessed by pressing either Options Up or Down for two seconds), the S3 screen for Default Rinse Options provides: Spray & Deep, Single Deep, Double Deep, and Shower.

o

I was looking into the Fisher & Paykel also this week. I was wondering if there were any problems with the dryer. I had read some reviews that the dryers were noisy. I also heard that the customer services was not good, if you need a repair it takes awhile. Has anyone had any problems.?

o

I finally got my F&P washer/dryer and totally love it!

The installation was a pain, because the top load dryer was deeper that we expected and the Lowes guys just left it sticking out of the closer (my laudnry is in the closet on first floor bathroom). My husband went and bought a different more flexible vent pipe, and installed it himself and we somehow managed to fit it in the closet. Which made me happy, I would not want to trade my top loader dryer on anything else.

I did A LOT of laundry yesterday, all kinds, all types of loads and fabrics and all. Played with default settings and changed them. Love it. The clothes do come out clean.

I may have more questions in few days. But for now -

how is this washer machine gentle on clothes? I see agitator really moving around and rubbing clothes on wash cycle, that is why it is clean! Is that really gentle on clothes?

do I need to use a regular amound of detergent on it? I used as much of Tides as I usually do, and it seems to be efficient, but since it uses less water, should I use less of detergent?

also, I see that the washer is slighly higher that the dryer, and there is some empty space under the dryer's "legs", which I saw after Lowes guys left. Should they have leveled it somehow? Can we do it ourself?

Thanks!

o

Which model do you have, GWL11 or IWL12? If IWL12, try the Handwash option just to see what it does. VERY gentle. I don't know if the Delicate and Woolens cycle on the GWL11 is similar in action or a little stronger. The lower fins are pretty flexible compared to agitators in other machines, so the action isn't as aggressive as it seems. When a load is washing, reach down there and have a feel of it! Try manually selecting a water level for certain loads if you want gentler action for a given cycle on the GWL11 - more water lets the clothes float.

Use whatever amount of detergent is needed to get a "slippery" feel on the water during the DEEP WASH phase. The detergent concentration will be stronger during the EcoActive phase because less water is involved then ... but the deep wash needs have enough detergent to keep the soil suspended so it can be flushed away.

The REAR legs on the top-load dryer are self-leveling. Tilt the machine forward, then set it back down. Level the FRONT first, then re-adjust the rear.

As for the dryer vent, make the path as SHORT and STRAIGHT as possible. The top-load dryer has a pretty strong airflow, but it'll do much better with short/straight than long/curvy.

o

This is a great thread. I've been convinced that a FL was for me, but due to money concerns I've started to contemplate purchasing this set and am captivated by the top loading dryer.

I want something that will be very efficient and cut down on water/electric costs. I hear that this does both like a FL but is the efficency as good as a FL?

o

I have this washer and my complaint is that I can't seem to figure out how to wash a hot load. It fills with hot for the initial "wash", then fills with cold and dilutes the temp. I have sweaty teenage boys and want a longer hot wash. Also, I don't think it always agitates effectively-stains stay in and I end up washing again. Any help would be appreciated.

o

txcook, check your user guide for the section on cleaning the machine. There's a hidden "cleaning" cycle that allows a full hot fill. Assuming the procedure hasn't changed and I remember it correctly --

Press and hold Favorite for a few seconds, until it beeps and the light flashes.

Select the Perm Press cycle

Select Hot wash temp. Hot wash normally is not available on Perm Press, but this special programming sequence allows it.

Press Favorite to save the settings.

Now, when you want to run a hot wash, simply turn on the power and select Favorite. You should be able to adjust the water level manually, and select any of the three spin speeds.

o

I had reservations about the F&P after reading some bad reviews in epinions. DADoES addressed most of them. So 2 weeks ago I went ahead & purchased the GWL11 washer from a reliable appliance store that also services the machines; the saleslady has had hers for 6 years and still raves about it. It cleans better than my old (28 years) Norge & clothes dry in 1/2 the time & come out softer. I really like this washer (we call it the "Flying Pykle"--it sounds like a jet). The saleslady didn't think the GWL12 was worth the extra $$$ & the GWL11 suits my washing needs just fine and fits into my small laundry space with room to spare. If I want to see my clothes swimming in a lot of water like the traditional machine, I can program it to act like a traditional machine. But the water saving cycles seem to clean just fine, expecially if you use the soak feature (it is set to soak for 2 hours but you can make it go into "wash" whenever you want). Do I expect I will have it for 28 years? I doubt it, but Norge probably went out of business because they didn't sell enough machines--no planned obsolescence.

o

I was at Sears Parts on-line doing a search for something else, and on a whim I entered the model number of my F&P washer, dryer & DishDrawer, and they came up! Well, the DEGX1 dryer is recognized as an F&P model, but no parts are listed. for it yet. Parts for the washer & DishDrawer seem reasonably-priced to me. For example, the GWL11/IWL12's divertor valve, which some have reported as a source of trouble, is only $17.

o

Not sure of the 11 or 12 laundry machines, but I have had the GWL 10 since 2001 and so far its been trouble prone. Just out of its 2 year labor & parts warranty and the diverter valve failed. Costs me $80/- (labor) to have it replaced. A year later, the circuit board failed, which costs me $125/- to have replaced. Yesterday, there was a burning smell from the machine and it shut off. Probably a failed circuit board again. Not only has it become costly to repair this machine but it takes time for the repair person to come and take a look & service it.

I doubt I will buy a F&P laundry machine again.

Hope this helps,
Carlton

o

F&P washers are designed for easy servicing with minimal tools. A good home handyman can do most any repair.

o

I am interested in the Intuitive washer and TL dryer from F&P. Consumer reports says that F&P products are prone to repair. Ive read about problems with divertor valves and the need for a lint filter for the agitator(what is it for?)My laundry room is located by my kitchen and family room where we spend the majority of our time. Is the dryer too loud for this arrangement? How loud is the banging when it reverses direction? Any help would be appreciated as Id like to purchase this month.Would I be better off with Whirlpool Duets due to kitchen proximity? Please help.

o

First, I always take CR's repair data with caution. They do not differentiate between actual break-downs, installation errors, or user faults/misunderstandings.

I've not had my IWL12 long enough for a long-term reliability report, but it hasn't exhibited any troubles after about 14 months. Same for my DEGX1 TL dryer. As mentioned above, I found the divertor valve at Sears Parts online for $17. My older GWL08 washer has not had any repairs whatsoever in six years, but it doesn't have a divertor valve. I did get an extended warranty with the IWL12/DEGX1 pair ($80 each for three extra years beyond the initial two years), because the cost wasn't excessive and the dryer is a new design. I did not with the older pair purchased in 1999.

My laundry room is 'behind' my kitchen, and is pretty much open (unless the door is closed) to the kitchen/patio entry/living room area. There is some noise, but closing the door muffles it effectively-enough that I can watch TV or a DVD with no distraction. Tile floor throughout the area doesn't do much to muffle sounds, ANY sounds, not just the machines. I've only been in the house since January, haven't had any washer/dryer there except the F&Ps so I can't say how others would sound in comparison.

There's no particular need for the accessory lint filter for the washer, unless perhaps one does frequent washing of excessively-linty loads. I have ordered the filter, just because I *want* it, not because I *need* it.

There is NO banging sound when the dryer reverses tumble direction (where'd you hear that there is a noise?). It simply eases to a stop for a couple seconds, then starts up again. There is a CLANK sound whenever the drum *locks* or *unlocks* ... but that only happens at the start and end of the drying cycle, or if the machine is paused to check the load. The sounds during operation are an interesting faint whine when the motor revs up to speed (I believe it's a three-phase induction motor), a whooshing noise with a very faint background rumble during normal tumble speed (about the same tone as any typical dryer, but slightly higher in volume), slight thumpings as the clothes tumble inside the drum. I also sometimes hear a slight rubbery-squeak when the drum comes to a stop and restart during the reversals, which I imagine is the drum support rollers after they get heated up. LOL, all this seems somewhat alarming the way I describe it, but really, it's just typical operational sounds one experiences with any appliance. The sounds quickly fade into the normal background noises of the household. They did for me, anyway.

o

Thank You DaDoES for your user experience. It has helped me in my decision making. I read of a banging sound (or maybe clanging) on a review somewhere, but dont recall the site. maybe it was a problem machine. The F&P washer dryer combo seem perfect for our washroom size. Lowes offers a extended warranty if I buy the pair for a total of 140.00. This bumps the warranty from two to 6 years on both items.
I have an additional question. Does the Intuitive Eco washer still save water even if not placed on the SAVE WAter or Eco Save Water options? Have you tried the Save Water feature and does it appear to remove the soap throughly? What setting do you use for general loads?
Also is there a site that would allow one to print the schematics of the machine?Thanks again

o

The IWL12 doesn't offer any water savings on the default setting, other than perhaps by way of the automatic water level function if the user has a habit of using too high a level when selecting manually. The "factory default" programming is for a deep rinse, not a shower rinse. Note that the "Creasables" option increases water usage by raising the fill one level over what the machine otherwise senses, which gives the clothes more room to float to reduce wrinkling.

I'm not concerned about water usage so I use the standard rinse settings, and "Creasables" when appropriate. I also prefer to use liquid softener, which requires a deep rinse. I have tried one of the shower rinse options a couple times, and it seemed to do fine. I haven't experimented with *all* of the rinse options, there are several.

User guides for F&P products can be downloaded at their web site under the Customer Care / User Guides menu selection.
http://usa.fisherpaykel.com/customer-care/user-guides.cfm

o

We are thinking of buying the GWL 11 from Lowes. It sells for $629, but there is a $30 rebate if you buy before Jan. 1. Installation / delivery is free.

Aside from the post about the circuit board burning up, it sounds like the only negative I've heard is that the GWL11 might not be easy on clothes. Have any of you found this to be true?

My wife really like the idea of the top-loader dryer, even though we bought a traditional dryer 3 years ago. The dryer costs $779 from Lowes (we went shopping for washers, not dryers!). We have a limited amount of space in our pass-through laundry (it's between the garage and kitchen) so for that reason alone she likes the top-loader.

I have a couple questions--1. Where can you get this dryer cheaper? 2. Is the dryer more efficient that a traditional dryer? I know it has a nifty lint-collection system, but does that make it efficient?

Tom

o
RE: Extended Warranty Fisher & Paykel washer & dryer

Our Whirlpool washer finally gave up on us after 10+years.
Thus, we only needed a washer but ended up buying both from F&P! We love our GWL11...it's terrific! We haven't installed the top loader dryer yet, we just bought a Maytag to replace our Whirlpool dryer for about a year! But Conn's gave us such a great deal that we bought both ($950-floor model) but tax not included..

We didn't purchase the extended warranty though, and would like to know if anyone knows a good extended warranty out there that we can purchase although we did not purchase from the store we bought it from.

Thanks!

o

I am thinking about buying a F&P set for our new house. I have read and researched as much as possible. My suspicion about many of the repairs and problems that owners report on the F&P washers is that these faults are due to user error.

For example, I have read that valves can easily become clogged in the washer. However, because of the 1000rpm spin cycle, small items left in pockets can be slung out and clog valves, resulting in malfunctions.

Anyone else see a relationship here? It seems that the engineering of these machines is superior to conventional washers. My personal experience as a software engineer is that people often make assumptions about the way things work based on past experiences. However, the F&P washer requires it's user to be retrained. If the user does not adjust their use of the machine to it's design, then problems will ensue.

My two cents.

o

Jonathan - My 2 cents worth... Get the washer, but you can use almost any dryer and save yourself the expense of the F&P dryer. I have them both. The washer does such a great job of spinning the clothes out that any dryer will dry the clothes. My friend only purchased the F&P washer and noticed how her old dryer dried the clothes in half the time. We've both had our F&P washers for at least 4-5 years now and neither of us have had any problem. Even when she had a housefull of 6 when her daughter/family moved in for about a year two different times during that time. The F&P was used daily.

Grainlady

o

I am thinking about buying a F&P set for our new house. I have read and researched as much as possible. My suspicion about many of the repairs and problems that owners report on the F&P washers is that these faults are due to user error.

For example, I have read that valves can easily become clogged in the washer. However, because of the 1000rpm spin cycle, small items left in pockets can be slung out and clog valves, resulting in malfunctions.

Jonathan,

Trust me on this: There's NO WAY a stray item, coins, etc. left in a pocket can get slung out during spin and INTO the water inlet valves of an F&P GWL11 or IWL12 washing machine.

I do agree, however, that unfamiliarity with how the machines function compared to traditional toploaders, unwillingness to learn, and perhaps refusal to modify laundry habits accordingly, can contribute to dissatisfaction.

o

I am wondering about long term use. I am pretty much decided upon the Intuitive ( due to allergy problems) but am concerned as on epinions many complained about the machines failing at about 3 yrs then costing a lot to repair. Has anyone had experience with an older F& P washer? How old are the present models as i wonder if they are the same or perhaps do not have the problems. Also we have well water so I am concerned about the value clogging and wondering if it is due to sediment in the water. Thanks for any help. I am having a terrible time finding a washer i actually want to buy since all seem to have so many negative reviews.

o

(As mentioned numerous times), I have a 1999 F&P GWL08 washer and DE04 dryer. They moved to my grandmother's house when I got an IWL12 and DEGX1 ~Sept 2004. Neither one has ever broken or needed repair. Both of them (GWL08 and DE04) were in 12" to 14" of water for 6 to 8 hours in November 2004 and worked perfectly after drying for several days before attempting use. I realize that does not reflect potential reliability/durability of current GWL11 and IWL12 models.

o

Does the quality of the external materials concern any of you? The washer and the dryer seem to be very cheap and flimsy to me.

o

Nope.

o

I did all the reseach on the net about front loaders and came to the conclusion that they are not ready yet. Now if you want to spend $2,000 to $2,500 for a washer then it will work as advertised, but I'm not about to do that. Then I started to think about my 13 year old Whirlpool a top loader that has worked fine all these years. So I started my research on the net about top loaders and came across Fisher Paykel, read all the reviews and liked what I read. Went to the local appliance store and checked them out. The price was right so I purchased a washer and dryer, but checked to see if they where an authorized repair shop. A very important question to asked by the way. Took delivery today and ran the machines threw their paces. The washing machine is something else, it does make all the star trek noises and at the top spin speed the machine is very stable. The top loading dryer is a nice addition, out of the wash and just drop into the dryer. The dryer is very quite and it does do a nice job. After watching the washing machine it dawned on me about the design of the top of the tub and the forward slanting top. If you fill the top up to max fill and put it on heavy duty wash the agitator action is very strong and will splash water out of the machine. Thats why the design is such that it will redirect the run off back to the tub. At least that is my thought on it. After talking with my friends that have the new HE machines they all have top loaders not a one has the new front loaders, very interesting. In short for what I paid for the machines and what I got I'm satisfied that I made the right decision to purchase Fisher Paykel. I hope that this review will help you as I have been helped by reading the reviews posted by others.

o

I replaced a FL washer with a Fisher & Paykel top load washer and couldn't be more pleased.

After reading many posts on these boards, over many months, I have concluded that these forum posters are most interested in the prestige of a brand and the exterior appearance of the product, not how well it is designed or how well it operates.

Until many see this Fisher & Paykel washer being used in decorator show houses it will be overlooked by many of these forum members.

o

Just some general observations about these machines. I don't own one but am considering purchasing one.

Just an FYI - I read somewhere on a washer repair man forum that the failing button panels/cuircuit boards on these seem to be more likely users that are pushing the buttons too hard then actual manufacturing defects. They also noted it was a very reliable machine in general but the most common repairs were diverter valve and the pump.

Honestly, if you have ever tried replacing a transmission on a washer, these items don't seem so bad.

o

Alright... you guys have me convinced to try the IWL12. Anything else I should know before I take the plunge?

Dadoes, you were very informative... & you mentioned buying a lint filter... since we have two cats, I'm assuming I'll need one of these, is the info & cost of these in w/the owners papers?

Thanks to everyone who shares their info!!

o

The filter is really kind of a funny thing, but it does catch some lint and fuzz. I've only used it a few times. It's a sort of cup with a handle on top and a nylon bag attached that hangs through and below. It's shoved down inside the agitator after adding the detergent, and pulled out to clean after the load. Agitation action passively pumps water through it, similar in a way to Maytag's classic cartridge filter.

Didn't cost me anything. I called F&P customer service, said I'd heard there's a filter available. Gave them the model & serial number of my machine & date of purchase & postal address, filter arrived in a week.

o
Sale on Fisher & Paykel washer/dryer

Anyone interested in purchasing any F & P washer/dryer, Homeclick.com offers the EcoSmart $579, Top Load Dryer $779, and IntuitiveEco $759 free delivery and possibly no tax. In addition, if you can wait til the weekend they offer an extra 8-10% off. They have them in stock so are shipped within 3-5 days. GREAT DEAL! I have purchased from homclick before and quality of products are as good as any other home store. If issues arise they resolve them. I thank this forum for great input and advice and am going to purchase the F&P. Thought I can help others as well. Enjoy!

o

I'm in the process to purchasing the F&P GWL15 through homeclick.com, has anyone bought one online? I'm wondering if they offer an extended warrany. How long does it take to ship? Also, any new problems developing that I should be aware of?

o

Just wanted to say, I own the IWL12 Washer and the TL Dryer, they are at our ranch home and we have been very pleased with their performance. Love them, the TL dryer is awesome and the washer gets my DH's dirty ranch clothes just spotless, and trust me, there are lots of things the ordinary person might not get ground into their clothes that you get from running a working cattle ranch...lol Good luck, I can't imagine you won't love the set!!!!

o

BTW, I'm just re-reading this thread after a long absence and I noticed that some questions were raised about the gentleness of the F&P washers, that didn't look as though they were specifically answered. I remember posting this in a previous thread, but it was quite a while ago so perhaps has scrolled into the Black Hole of Lost Net Archives by now. Anyway, the laundry situation is this:

We have allergies. We use kleenix (there's a box in every room, both floors). It ends up stuffed into pockets and needless to say, inevitably gets missed on occasion during laundry time.

Old scenario: our previous (very reliable) heavy duty Kenmore washer/dryer. Can you say, tiny little balls of kleenix lint all over my knits and dresses? I am not happy. Yell at DH to remember to PLEASE EMPTY HIS POCKETS before throwing clothes into the laundry bag, every few months.

New scenario: the F&P GWL 10 washer and DEGX1 TL dryer are installed. After about a week, sure enough, a kleenix is missed and goes not only through the wash, but through the drying cycle as well! Why? Well, I didn't see any little pills of lint, so everything got thrown into the dryer.

When I empty the dryer, folding up the clothes, I find a perfectly clean, completely intact, nicely washed sheet of kleenix. Yup, the F&P washer has scrubbed it clean without tearing it, and the dryer has nicely dried it. Not a speck of lint anywhere, just a beautiful fragile flat sheet of kleenix amongst a nice pile of clean dry lintless clothing.

I'd say that's about as gentle as a washing machine can possibly get! Our clothes are cleaner, our water usage and soap usage have dropped dramatically, and F&P service has been fantastic on the two dryer repairs we have needed.

We regularly upgrade our appliances, but my husband and I recently agreed that if we leave this house, the only ones we are taking will be the F&P set! They are absolutely the best appliances we have ever purchased.

o

I ran a load of 6 or 7 pairs of jeans this evening in my IWL12. The machine selected "Firm" wash action. I watched the load for a few mins, plenty sloshing around and sufficient rollover. Later when the load was done, I found a handful of coins in a pocket. Not a one had fallen out. I *have* found a loose coin in the tub a few times.

o

We bought the GWL11 last year and I absolutely love it. We got it for around $250 because it was a damaged unit (a couple dings on the shell). It came with the full 2 year warranty (most washers are only 1 year). There are two things that sold me on this machine. One is it's ability to determine the amount of water needed. I can't tell you the number of times I have put in a load in the washer assuming it was still on high water level only to find out after running the wash that someone changed it to a small load water level and I have to wash all over again. The other is the fact that there is no transmission. We have had two standard top load washers go out due to a failed transmission. The latest was the top of the line Kenmore that was only a couple years old. When the transmission went out a couple ball bearings popped out as well. The cost to repair was almost as much as we paid for it new. The repairman told us that the main item going bad on a washer is the transmission and it is not cheap to repair. Since this motor is magnet driven it can get to very high speeds on the spin cycle and I can load it with as much as I want without concern for stress on the agitator.

o

Lots of satisfied F&P customers here. There's no doubt that it's a great product, well engineered, with excellent performance. It's also a product that's well suited for the American market, because according to surveys, Americans prefer top loaders three to one. Americans also like all of the benefits that come with front loaders, so a top loader washer with front loader benefits hits a sweet spot.

There have been some reports of poor reliability with at least one or two posters in this thread complaining of such. The weakest part of the F&P design in this regard is definitely the Diverter Valve. This an electronically controlled valve that redirects the wash pump from the drain to the recirculate system so that water can be recirculated back onto the clothes during the wash portion of the wash cycle.

This valve is actually driven by something called a Wax motor, and the problem with Wax Motors is they sometimes have notoriously short lives, which can result in a stuck valve long before the rest of the washer wears out. Also, the moveable part of the diverter valve can be prone to catching lint and threads which can clog it, also causing a premature failure.

The Kenmore Oasis, which is a close cousin to the F&P washer, gets around this problem by actually having two pumps, one for draining, and one for recirculating. This is definitely the prefered way to go for reliability and durability.

Other than this, the only other sticking points with F&P washers are the plastic top, the huge plastic lid, and noise during wash and spin.

The first problem is the use of plastic. Plastic usually doesn't wear as well as painted or porcelain coated steel, so the washer can start to look scratched and dull, even after just a few years of use.

The second problem is that the plastic lid spans the entire width and depth of the top, which means it can sometimes get in the way when the washer is installed under cabinets.

As far as noise is concerned, the F&P washer is definitely noisier than it's nearest rivals. During the wash part of the cycle, it has a whining sound that raises and lowers in pitch when the agitator reverses stroke, and during the spin cycle it sounds like a jet engine spooling up.

It's not that these sounds are tremendousy loud. On the contrary, the noise level is perfectly acceptable in anyone's home. It's just that the Kenmore Oasis, which uses the same motor as the F&P, and the GE Harmony, which uses a similar type motor, are significantly quieter. Of the three, the Harmony is actually the quietest, with the Oasis being only just a little louder.

These are all very minor points though. The F&P washer is a truly excellent product. Almost everyone that owns one swears by it.

o

OK, after lurking here for over 6 months-probably the best FP message board out there...I finally purchased the f/p washer dryer set for my wife tonight from homeclick. Very nice experience I might add, decent policies, free shipping, no tax. They were giving an additional 8% thru midnight.

Thanks for all the really good comments. They have been instrumental in our purchase decision. We went ahead with the intuitive washer and dryer (IWL16/DEIX2)to replace our 16 year old kenmore set, but with with 3 young boys I'm thinking she will put them to very good use. I think she will be very happy. My parents have a set and love it.

BTW, they did have to replace their diverter valve about 6 months ago at 1.5 years ;) MUCH cheaper than "regular" service.

o

I am ready to buy the same pair (FP IWL16/DEIX2), but I can't decide whether to go with homeclick or a local appliance store. The savings is about $300. Can you provide any feedback on the homeclick experience? Also, was installation fairly simple? I will be installing these in my second-floor laundry room with the help of my teenage son (and I'm not mechanically inclined). I'd appreciate hearing about your experience.

o

My Kenmore is dying, and I looked at the F&P sets today after ruling out an FL set due to space and budget constraints. I went to Lowes first, then to the local appliance store and they have a GWL11 washer and DE08 front loading dryer pair for $899. A similar new set (with the Royal Blue control panel) would be $1029. Which should I get? Are there any real improvements to these models? Also, I am going to need to side vent the DE08. Has anyone had any problems with that?

o

HI Lucille, happy to give my feedback about homeclick.com
Sorry I didn't see your post sooner.
I rarely am able to give this level of postive feedback, but my homeclick.com experience was FLAWLESS! I really can't recommend them enough.

They had it in stock, they had them at 8% off retail with free shipping. (They frequently offer 8-10% off on weekends, so keep checking). BTW, F/P has a $100 rebate on that washer, just go to their site and find the rebates and print it out.

They arrived on time with Estes shipping, who called the day before to verify delivery with my wife. They happily put them in the garage for us. They arrived in flawless condition on pallets. I would go with homeclick again, I had a superb experience.

Setting them up was fairly straight forward. The washer a little more involved just due to having to get it balanced. However, go visit the F/P website and you can get a PDF of the manuals, including the installation and judge for yourself. They call that the tub be balanced and just a little forward. Though Daddoes above, said he had his pretty evenly centered all the way around. I accomplished this with a bubble level placed on the tub dispenser. All in all, very clear instructions and relatively not complicated setup.

On my dryer I have used a telescope vent from the dryer to the dryer vent in the wall. It saves some space. I called F/P and they said that is fine. BTW, everytime I have called their tech support line (EVEN AT 11:00 PM MDT), they have answered immediately! Kudos on the customer support.

Experience so far:
We have been very pleased, though you MUST read the manuals.
The first load my lovely wife got a little carried away and put too many jeans in, resulting in just a little water on the tile floor. I have noticed the top of the tub and the edge of the washer there is about 1/3 - 1/2 gap, a little more than on other washers I have seen. After getting used to it, we haven't seen any water on the floor. THe auto-level sensing comes factory set at +3 (it goes from -3 to +3). We changed that to -1 and it seems to have helped. Also, daddoes says it takes the washer some time to learn the appropriate levels.

I still get quite a bit of shaking when high spin cycle on jeans, I might have someone come out and double check to make sure everything looks OK.

The Dryer works very well. Overall we have noticed less drying time. My wife uses the jeans cycle on the dryer and that tends to run a little longer even though they are pretty thoroughly rung out from the washer. The jeans cycle is set to run longer time with high heat, but of course the sensors stop when they are dry. Though my mom has an earlier model of these, and she doesn't let the jeans fully dry but hangs them to dry. I might try that.

Overall, very pleased, with homeclick experience, relatively easy setup, and ease of use. My wife had to adjust the beeps on both to run longer because she had trouble hearing them.

Eric

Here is a link that might be useful: rebate form

o

We just purchased the F&P Intuitive washer (IWL16) and dryer (DEIX2). I do have a few question for any one who has the set, my previous brand was a cheap whirlpool set and I really don't see alot of difference in the spin out for the F&P, I have used the 1000rpm spin, also is it normal for the dryer to take alittle over an hour to dry a load of towels, about 12 towels, it is better than my old dryer which could take 2 hours. Also I have yet to find a water saving option besides sensing water levels, which my old whirlpool had 5 water settings on it. I like the features of the F&P but my up most important needs are less water, getting laundry done quickly, I was told this set would do just that, so I want to make sure I am doing everything correctly or maybe this was not the set for our family.

o

If your previous dryer took 2 hours to dry 12 towels, you very likely have an obstruction in the vent duct. DEIX2 has higher airflow so is doing better, but not as good as it should be.

Assuming your previous Whirlpool washer was a direct-drive toploader, it spun at approx 600 RPM. If it was a belt-drive, then approx 525 RPM. F&P's 1000 RPM spin should noticeably extract more water.

IWL16 also has five water levels. Read your instruction manual. There are several choices for reducing water usage by way of shower-rinse options, and an adjustment for sensitivity of the auto-water level feature if you feel it's using too much (or too little).

Keep in mind that IWL16 *is* an agitator-type toploader so there must be enough water during the washing phase of the cycle to properly submerge and circulate the clothes. Water saving is primarily accomplished through reduced water use for rinsing. Your Whirlpool likely filled halfway even on the lowest water level. F&P's lowest water level is significantly lower, but that factor comes into play in terms of water saving only if you frequently wash small loads.

o

Do Fisher Paykel washers/dryers require special venting, cords, etc., or can I buy these from any hardware store? I also emailed FP about self-installation and they recommended an electrician install the dryer because it would need to be "hardwired." Not sure what that entails.

o

Nope, nothing special about the machines. My DEGX1 dryer is not hard-wired, I installed it with a standard 30-amp three-prong dryer cord.

o

Hi Lucille! Please don't worry about the dryer wiring, it's normal for dryers to not come with cords. It is very straight forward. You just need to check and see if your wall outlet is 3 or 4 prong and go to your local hardware store and purchase and tell them you need either a 3 prong or 4 prong dryer cord. The instructions are VERY clear and easy to understand on wiring this into the dryer. The wires are color coded for easy understanding, we had ours wired in about 10 mins. There is an access panel that unscrews on the lower part of the dryer. Just follow the color coded wires in the manual and you are fine. Just need a phillips screwdriver.

o

Thanks coloradous for all your helpful info! I'm just about ready to order on Monday when I can speak to a live person at homeclick. One more question: Did you go for the GE service protection extended warranty that homeclick offers? Does anyone recommend that?

o

I didn't. They come with a 2 year warranty, where I think most come with a 1 year warranty. But that is my philosophy, I generally don't purchase extended warranties...

Your welcome, enjoy them!

o

Thanks all for the great advice. I just "dropped in" after seeing that the local Sears Outlet store had a bunch of F&P washers and dryers come in Saturday. Between that and your comments, I'm pretty convinced to buy the GWL15 washer, but I'm unsure about the DE08 dryer. Any thoughts on it? Is it worth moving up to a better model, considering the price difference? Should I go with another brand?

(My 10-yr-old hotpoint (GE)washer has leaky seal/shot bearings/sounds like a jet engine = a $200 do-it-yourself transmission replacement, and the mating dryer has a faulty connection I can't seem to get at, which cuts me down to heat from just one of the two coils.)

o

I just purchased a GWL11 washer with a DE08 dryer and I'm very impressed with both of them. The dryer is quiet and I like the smooth enamel top; the newer model has a plastic top with ridges that look like they would attract dirt. The top loading dryer wasn't an option for me because it was too deep for my space, and it can't be side vented. I might have gone for that if it had been available. This pair was a close out; got a good price and so far we are thrilled. I'm not sure the dryer really matters that much when you use the F&P washer because it spins the clothes very well and they don't spend as much time in the dryer. Also, I think the DE08 is made by GE. So if you don't care about a matching set you could probably pick up a comparable GE for less. I do like the set to match, and the deal I got was for the pair only, so it was a no brainer for me. Good Luck with your purchase.

o

Great info. However, I'm still having trouble trying to convince my wife that we should get the F&P instead of an LG 1814. She did mention the diverter valve issue. If it goes, what happens? Is there a flood? Or just a shut-down or error message, followed by a relatively painless installation of a new valve?

Thanks in advance.

o

tumbleweed,
sears outlet in what part of the country?

We recently purchased the DGGX2 gas dryer in part because of the top load. I don't do much laundry but those in the house who do love it. Must say the lint collector is awesome. Significantly less, in fact virtually zero, lint floating around the laundry room. I've noticed the gas bill has dropped as well.

Hope to get the IWL16 at some point. I was talking to a Lowes rep the other day and he said they've recently had 4 or 5 units come back he wasn't sure why as historically they had been pretty reliable.

o

Both the Lowe's and Epinions sites rate the F&P brand highly.

Some of the negative reviews site parts problems, but there is very little to go wrong here. It has very few moving parts to go wrong compared to other washers. The tub is stainless steel, and other high wear parts are high density plastic or also stainless. The included hoses have the burst proof over braids, and there are no belts to break. Direct drive motor, no problems there. Installation instructions do warn that improperly setting the drain hose could cause siphoning, which is almost certainly a leading cause in pump failures that negative reviewers may have cited.

So place a cheap diverter valve or get another machine and replace an expensive transmission.... I know which choice I would take....

o

Hi Coach,
The Sears outlet is in the Grapevine Mills "outlet" Mall, Grapevine (?) TX, just a bit north of the Dallas-Fort Worth airport.

I just had the good fortune of finding info on taking apart my Hotpoint (i.e., GE) dryer, so I'll first check it out for a loose connection before going for the dryer, but I'd just as soon be ready to buy.

I did a little price comparison:

Washer:
IWL16: Homeclick $619.10 delivered on 10%-off days, with $100 FP rebate
Lowes $719.10 + ~8% tax + delivery - $100 rebate

GWL15: Homeclick $539.10 delivered on 10%-off days
Lowes: $639.10 + ~8% tax + delivery - $100 FP rebate
Sears Outlet $546.90 with 7.25% tax + delivery

Dryer:
DE08: Homeclick $398.92 delivered on 10%-off days
Sears Outlet $368.87 with 7.25% tax + delivery
(DE09: Lowes $484.10 + ~8% tax + delivery)

I'm hoping to order the GWL15 from Homeclick today if the better half agrees. (Never dealt with them before, but read real good things, including in this thread.)

o

Gotcha. Obviously inventory changes quickly there. We haven't been there in over a month.

Happened to pass the East Plano Lowe's the other day and they had an IWL16 return/repaired for $499.

FYI Lowes has a rebate on delivery. Check the rebate center on their website. We claimed it on our dryer a few months back without a problem.

o

Saw Sears Outlet ad in today's paper announcing that they were no carrying Fisher & Paykel products.

o

I just noticed at the Sears Outlet today while walking through the mall: through tomorrow, 11/22/06, they are selling the GWL15 with a DE08 dryer for $675.86 for the pair + tax + shipping if you need it.

They claimed there was an ad for the $200 discount for the pair in last Thursday's newspaper. I must have missed it.

Better Half was enchanted by the specs on the IWL16 anyway, though, and it is on the way.

o

I just purchased a F&P GWL15 Washer and DE09 Dryer. Should I have gotten the DEIX2 Dryer or is the one I purchased ok? What are the pros and cons? The TL feature seems ok but not really a necessity for me.

Thanks!

o

latinkreationz, DE09 is a typical frontloading dryer. It's actually a rebadged GE. DEIX2 is a completely different animal. Several differences than just the topload aspect. I have the slightly older DEGX1 model. I particularly like the reverse tumble function and the auto-scraping lint filter. It reverse-tumbles for 30 seconds every 4.5 minutes throughout the cycle, which helps a LOT in keeping jeans and long-sleeve shirts from getting twisted, and bulky items like sheets and blankets from getting rolled-up. The lint filter system scrapes itself clean constantly and deposits the lint into a large-capacity bucket at left side of the drum, which is easily removed and dumped in the trash. It doesn't have to be dumped after every load, just whenever the bucket fills up.

o

I wasn't aware FP made w/D until I saw them at Abt Electronics yesterday. The sales rep had a set she said, and raved about them. A couple of things were negatives to me:

1. no clear tops in washer or dryer. It seems now that is the trend and you know, I actually think this is an important feature to me, to see it working. Especially given the low water usage. I guess I'm too used to my Maytag TL which sometimes never seems to get anything clean

2. The white plastic lids. They were really cheap looking. In fact, I kind of felt like the design was a really let down compared to the FL on display. They seemed rather industrial.

Anyhooo

o

I have the F&P GWL11 washer and the top loader dryer. The washer is excellent, one of the best TL washers today. It is much gentler on the clothes than our reliable old Kenmore heavy-duty washer, yet cleans better. I have no idea why a window in the lid would be useful, but maybe that's just me. I'm a "set and forget" user; laundry is just not something I want to fuss with.

Some folks have had good luck with the top loader dryer. We have not (6 repair incidents in 20 months). Again, a window would be useless -- the dryer has a steel lid that locks whenever the dryer is in use. It auto-reverses the tumble periodically (can't remember the exact interval: every 10 minutes?) so that the clothes wrinkle less. When it works, however, it works REALLY well, and the lint cup is a hoot -- every dryer should have one instead of that stupid lint screen!

The repair incidents have been minor, but annoying in the length of time to obtain parts and then schedule a return visit. Both my husband and I work, so it has been a nuisance to have to take off time from work, and the last incident lasted over 6 weeks before the dryer was fixed, so a lot of laundry piled up. We were not happy consumers over the holidays, but the correct part was finally shipped and installed, and the dryer is now working fine again. We can only hope this lasts, since virtually every small part has been replaced on it already.

But again, the washer has been a delight. We really like the auto-level water sensing.

I believe the non-top-load dryer is a rebadged GE, not a true F&P product, but perhaps someone else can confirm this.

F&P's strong point is customer service. They are very responsive, and the repair facilities like dealing with them, so you get good service. This is an important point these days when so many appliance mfgs are being tripped up by bad, indifferent, or untrained service techs.

o

We have the Fisher & Paykel GWL11 washer and top loading dryer which we bought last year after the excellent reviews on this site. Unfortunately the washer has had two water valves replaced in the past year and I'm really considering selling it and buying a good ol' Sears brand.
I don't think customer service is a strong point with F&P simply because they gave us three repair numbers for repairman which didn't service our area or the numbers were disconnected!(we are about 60 miles from a large city). Also they require the repairman to call them while they are doing a repair to "make sure they do it right". This is required from one of their "authorized" repairman. I just found this out today because they didn't have *any* of our repairs for the past year in their system, even though their authorized repairman came out to service it!
So I really wouldn't recommend F&P to anyone unless they have at least 3-4 repairman in the area. I'm going to have to wait at least a week to get a service repairman to call me back. And then I'm going to look for another washer (even though this one is really quiet) because if that ONE repairman goes out of business, nobody will be around to fix it!

o

browneyedgrrl, as noted above, F&P washers are mechanically very simple. A capable home handy-man type can easily handle repairs. Parts are available at Sears Parts Online, although their database is wonky and sometimes won't recognize F&P model numbers for a few days at a time. F&P Customer Service may also source parts directly, although I haven't tried that other than with the optional washer lint filter and the DishDrawer pump trap access door. Don't be obnoxious, accusatory with customer support .. you get what you give. Simply describe the problem, state that you've investigated and it seems to be related to such-and-such part, can one please be sent out?

I've had the water valve hang/dribble on both my GWL08 and IWL12. Seems they're quite sensitive to debris in the water supply. Flushing by turn the hot/hold water flow on/off repeatedly has always solved the problem. In one case I removed a supply hose from the valve, set the machine to fill momentarily with the still-attached hose so it could back-flush out the valve to clear it.

o
Questions about Fisher & Paykel washers.

I'm about ready to buy the EcoSmart GWL15 washer and companion gas top-load dryer. From reading these posts, I figure I'd better get the longest, most comprehensive extended warranty possible. I am buying them from a dedicated appliance store that does repairs as well--of course for something like $65 for the first 30min and $20 for each FIFTEEN minutes thereafter. You've helped me go back and ask them, also, about availability of parts--although now that they are made in Ohio, I'm hoping that won't be a problem.

I'm sort of forced into buying these if I want a more ecologically responsible washer, as I can't have a washer more than 25-26 inches deep & other FLs are humungous. Also, my w/d are on the second floor, which is not able to handle the vibration of the typical FL washer. Lastly, since I just visited New Zealand and saw the pride these folks take in their products, I figured it would be a good (if maybe not so reliable) a product that does what it purports to do!

Would anyone recommend the Intuitive over the EcoSmart? Do the 13 Lifestyle choices and more automated features really justify the extra cost? And what is the learning curve? I am sort of "techie," but only if the technology really improves what the appliance is supposed to do.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

o

Would anyone recommend the Intuitive over the EcoSmart?
Yes.
Do the 13 Lifestyle choices and more automated features really justify the extra cost?
Yes, I think so. Several of the programmed cycles allow temperature combinations (such as a hot EcoActive wash followed by a Warm/Hot deep wash, or a cold EcoActive followed by a warm deep wash) and cycle sequences (such as extra rinsing) that are not possible on the EcoSmart.

o

Hi, guys. This is a wonderful forum! I'd never heard of Fisher & Paykel before and walked by them in Lowe's without paying much attention - they looked very plain and not particularly cheap for being so plain.;-) I was talking with the sales person about other brands after deliberating for a long time on my own and driving myself nuts, when the most simple question occurred to me... a question I should've asked long time ago - what do YOU have in your house?;-)) That's how I was introduced to the brand. Just thought I'd made my mind (was thinking of getting the exact ones he's got), when I decided to compare the available ones after all, and now I'm in a bit of a indecisive mode again...

This thread has been generally very helpful, but it seems most of you talk about models no longer available, even though I can recognize at least the older versions of GWL washer and DEGX dryer. I've been considering buying GWL15 and DEGX2 (need an electric dryer). Somebody mentioned a dryer rack in the dryer. That sounds absolutely great! Can't see it among the listed features at all, though... on any of the dryers for sale now. Another trip to Lowe's...

Now I'm comparing GWL15 to WL37T26DW1 and WL26CW2. There are 3 features I'm particularly interested in. Seems like the model I'm considering is the only one offering manual water level override. If that's the case, the debate stops here. I'm not sure what Creasables means (the other 2 have it - same with the other 2 dryers, DEIX2 and DE27CW1, I'm comparing to DEGX2). Does it mean they generally keep creases in shape or is it a particular cycle just for Creasables...? The other 2 also offer Handwash while GWL15 doesn't. What does this do exactly...? Because all of them do have a delicate cycle.

If anybody has any thoughts, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Let me try to help you with something as well.:-) When I was reading about extended warranties being a rip-off, hard to use, etc., I came across a piece of interesting info. Turns out some credit cards, Visa Signature in particular and also some gold and platinum MCs, offer extended warranty - double of the manufacturer's. Since F & P has unusual in today's market 2-year warranty, the extension is only for another year, though. Still... hey, it's free. Check with your credit cards. My former MBNA Visa (now B of A) platinum card did not offer it, but Visa Signature (again B of A's... go figure) DOES, so I'm gonna use this one. Ideally, I'd like to use Discover because of the cash back, but they usually don't give such perks. Checked with them - they don't for sure.

o

The recent model changes (GWL11->GWL15, IWL12->IWL16, DEGX1->DEGX2) are largely cosmetic ... as in the color of the console background changed. The washers also have improved EnergyStar ratings, likely due to reduced water temperatures and/or consumption on the default cycle options.

The "G" (as in DEGX) dryers are a match cosmetically to the GWL washer, without an LCD panel and preprogrammed "LifeCycles." The "I" (as in DEIX) dryers are a match to the IWL washer, with an LCD panel and LifeCycles. Otherwise the "G" and "I" dryer lines are mechanically identical. The "G" and "I" washers are likewise mechanically identical, differing in regards to control panel design and cycle options.

The AeroSmart dryer is also mechanically identical to the DEGX and DEIX SmartLoad dryers. Difference again is matching the control panel to the AquaSmart washers.

I have an IWL12. The IWL's Handwash cycle is *extremely* gentle. While I haven't observed the Delicate cycle on the GWL15, I can say Handwash is noticeably gentler than the Delicate cycle on my older GWL08. I have a couple video clips of my IWL12's Handwash agitation, and can send if you contact me via e-mail.

The IWL washer also has a lot more cycle options than the GWL, but whether that is important to you depends on your specific needs.

Sorry, I can't say anything in terms of direct experience about the WL2 and WL3 AquaSmart washers. Neither one allows manual selection of water level as far as I'm aware, that's part-and-parcel of the wash-plate resource-saving design.

Creasables is equivalent to a Permanent Press cycle. On my IWL12, it increases the water level to one level higher than the machine would normally use for the particular load via automatic water level sensing, reduces the agitation aggressiveness a couple notches (automatic fabric sensing), adds an interim deep rinse before the first spin (two deep rinses total), and reduces the final spin speed to 300 RPM.

Oops, forgot to address the drying rack. I contacted F&P a couple years ago, the rack (for my DEGX1) was not available, something about it being redesigned. I haven't checked back.

o

Thank you so much, dadoes, for your extensive, informative, and prompt response!:-) I didn't realize the difference in the dryers was mainly cosmetic. I saw only the GWL15 and the corresponding dryer in Lowe's.

I'm still reading, but it sounds like I'm gonna stick with my original choice thanks to your details below.

Sorry, I can't say anything in terms of direct experience about the WL2 and WL3 AquaSmart washers. Neither one allows manual selection of water level as far as I'm aware, that's part-and-parcel of the wash-plate resource-saving design.

I already found out W2 has no agitator and now you're saying W3 doesn't have it, either. I was considering other brands' top loaders without an agitator before and came across many opinions about them wrinkling the clothes a lot ... I was ready to settle for a quite basic, but having a proven record Whirlpool 5800. I don't think I can even get some of the "sophisticated" ones to work (washers and dryers "talking" through cables... c'mon), not to mention not willing to pay for the expensive repairs they all seem to need quite a bit. Also, I like the idea of being able to override a machine's mind!;-) Have seen a lot of complaints about front loaders in this area, too. People are saying their clothes are not sufficiently cleaned and yet you can't override the water level. The delicate cycle should be good enough for me, I'd think... Even if I see your videos (appreciate the offer), I wouldn't be able to figure anything out. I'm quite technically challenged.;-) Can't say I've ever paid attention to how washers and dryers really work.

That drying rack sounded very appealing to me. Sweaters are always a pain to dry. Hope I can get it. Will see...

Thanks again and Happy 2008!:-)

o

Wow, dadoes, I didn't realize you're such an expert!;-)

Just came across another opinion of yours - on the locks. I really don't like the locking idea, either...

Jonathan, the lock mechanism is a hook set on a pivot. The lid tab presses on the lower "foot" of it and the hook pivots forward to engage in the lid tab. To trick the mechanism, insert a slim object such as a table knife or spoon handle, into the slot at an angle, aiming at the bottom of the hook and hold it down. Once the locking solenoid triggers, it'll stay down. Aiming properly is a bit tricky, the object will tend to block the hook from moving forward.

I cut a hole in an old credit card to approximate the lid tab. The card is a little on the flimsy side but works well-enough.

Is there a chance of wrecking the machines if an amateur like me tries to do that...? Unfortunately, I've thrown out all my old credit cards. Gotta wait for a new one to expire!;-)) Do you do that every time or just once?

o

The lid-lock trick must be done each time a spin cycle occurs, or whenever the machine is run for those models that lock through the entire cycle. It's not a permanent bypass, the locking latch releases when the solenoid de-energizes. The credit-card tricker (or whatever object is used to depress the latch) can't be left in place permanently, it would interfere with the lid tab when the lid is closed. Also, DO NOT close the lid when the latch has been "tricked" (even if the credit card or object has been removed) UNTIL AFTER the latch releases. There's minimal risk of damage if you're careful and don't apply undue force to anything.

Keep in mind also that this method of "trickery" may not be valid if F&P changes the latch mechanism.

o

Thanks. Sounds like something I should not attempt.;-)

o

We have just purchased a GWL15 ECO washer and the DE09 Dryer which will be delivered Monday. Do these machines clean cat hair well? We have 2 short haired cats and a lot of cat hair. Will we need any additional filters for either machine?

Thanks for your response.

o

I recently ordered a GWL15 online from Universal Appliance--they had it listed for $549 which is $50 less than most other places I could find. Unfortunately I just received a notice that this is no longer available and our order was cancelled; I called their warehouse and it looks like they will sell the latest Ecosmart model, the WA37TG1 for $689, a fairly significant price jump. Does anyone know the difference between the GWL15 and the WA37TG1 ? Also if anyone else out there has recently purchased a GWL15 or knows who else has one in stock? Our Whirlpool washer died (15 years old, 2 service calls in that time period) and I was finally glad to find a compact water-conserving top-loader. Bummed that we'll have to wait longer for a (most likely) more expensive unit than I planned for!

Thanks in advance--

o

sunyetmoon ~

I have two cats (one short hair and one medium hair) and a dog. I wash their bedding about every 1-2 weeks and have never had a problem with any kind of clogging in my F&P washer. I have a Kenmore dryer that I am using and it has the filter in the front when you open the dryer door. It seems to catch whatever was left over and it hasn't been much.

I got mine about 3 1/2 years ago and it is a fine machine. I decided against a front-loader and haven't been sorry. It holds quite a bit. I have a queen-sized bed and it handles all sheets and comforters just fine. Sometimes I need to push down the comforter but it does get it clean.

Robyn

o

Per F&P's web site, WA37TG1 is a new model which has replaced the GWL15 in their lineup. It's probably identical other than perhaps some programming/engineer differences to improve energy efficiency ... and has a black control panel instead of gray/silver.

Universal Appliance may have had a discount price on GWL15 to move them out quicker ... or maybe there has simply been a price increase.

GWL15

WA37TG1

o

Hi,

I just purchased the WA37TG1 washer, and have done a couple loads. The machine seems to really shake when it spins at lower speeds. Is this normal or is there a problem?

Thanks,
Craig

o

I have been frustrated with my new echosmart F&P. I have a hard time not being able to see the action inside the machine. Also, how do you know how much detergent to add if the machine is selecting the water level??? Thankyou

o

I have a F & P ecosmart Washer. It is 2+ years old. We are getting stains on the clothes that look like a clear grease or oil. Can anyone provide any insigh to this ? Thanks in advance for the effort.

o

I have a F&P washer and dryer that I've had for a year and absolutely love. However, in the last couple of months, I have had some problems with the washer stopping in the middle of a cycle and beeping. I read the handbook and the lights that are flashing indicate that there is a suds build-up. The only thing I can think of is that the last jug of laundry detergent that I bought was the ultra concentrated liquid. I only use enough detergent for a "normal" load, but I'm wondering if the concentrated stuff is causing the problem.

It is very aggravating to put in a load of clothes before I go to bed and wake up to a beeping washer...it took an hour the other day just to get the cycle to start back up and finish successfully. I was getting tired of unplugging the machine and waiting for it to reset. Sometimes I wish there were a way to override the "brains" of the washer.

Does anybody have any insight. Anybody else notice trouble that might be caused by concentrated detergent? Should I try diluting the detergent, or do I need to use regular liquid detergent?

Thanks for your help.

o

What model machine specifically? What fault code specifically is flashing? What do you see inside the machine when the problem is happening?

o

> ultra concentrated liquid
is it HE ?

o

I don't have the model number in front of me right now, but I know it is the Intuitive model. I purchased it last year, so it is not the current model number.

The 2 Rinse lights and the Spin light flash every second or so.

The detergent is not HE. I didn't think I needed to use that. Is it necessary to use HE if the detergent is ultra concentrated?

Thanks!

o

Hello :)

I would like feedback and advice on which F&P model of washer to purchase: The higher-end non-agitating, computerized model or the one with an agitator.

These are the things I would like to be able to do with a washer:
- Use a hot cycle frequently to get my young son's grimy dirty socks & clothes REALLY clean.
- I want to have a washer that can be very gentle on MY clothes so that they come out clean, but do not wear out quickly
- I will spend whatever extra money I have to if you all feel the higher-end model will meet my needs better, because I am tired of throwing away clothes that are too stained to wear in public or my clothes that have had the life washed right out of them!
- My current Kenmore toploader can't seem to get stains out. I will need a washer that can really perform well in loosening soil and breaking down those stains!

So can any of you help me with my decision? I need some advice quickly...I'm spending too much time at the Laundromat! :)

o

I don't have the model number in front of me right now, but I know it is the Intuitive model. I purchased it last year, so it is not the current model number.

The 2 Rinse lights and the Spin light flash every second or so.

The Intuitive models do not have cycle sequence lights (rinse and spin lights), so it's probably a GWL15. I pulled a copy of the user manual online, and there's no mention of that light pattern. Oversudsing is indicated by the first rinse light flashing, or the final spin light.

I don't have a GWL15 service manual, but assuming the key sequence for diagnostic mode is the same as GWL11, try this -- With Power off, press and hold Wash Temp Down then press Power at the same time. It should beep twice and the panel LEDs come on. Press Spin Speed Up (or Down) repeatedly until HOLD and SLOW are *both* lit. You have eight Wash Progress LEDs on the panel, correct? Make a note and post here which LEDs are lit, in order from left to right (1st light, 2nd light, 3rd light, etc.). Press Power to exit diagnostics.

o

> Is it necessary to use HE if the detergent is ultra concentrated?
Yes, if the machine is HE

o

kathym, I have the non-agitator model and am very happy with it. I have the LCD screen - there are TONS of wash options - both HE and traditional washes. The only thing I do not have and wish I did is a quick wash option. Most of the washes are 52-55 minutes long.

o

tinatark, check the options for a Time Saver selection. F&P agitator-type machines have it, cycle time is cut by 1/2. It's possible the HE non-agitator models don't include that option, due to the extra time needed to ensure a good wash in the HE environment.

o

dadoes,

You are correct...the model is a GWL15. It is my dryer that is the Intuitive model.

I investigated the diagnostic mode, and lights 3, 4, and 7 were lit up.

Thanks again for your help!

o

Hmmm. That would be fault code 50, which translates as a bad hot water valve. Any evidence of water temperatures not being right? Even so, I don't think that would cause the machine to stop during the rinse phase, as rinses are always cold water.

What do you see inside when it's stopped and beeping during a cycle?

o

It doesn't normally stop on the rinse phase. It is usually still on one of the wash cycles...so I guess it could be the hot water.

Sometimes the tub is full of water, and other other times it is empty (just prior to filling up for the next wash cycle).

If it is the hot water valve, would that be a valve on the washer itself, or would it have something to do with the water connection at the source?

o

Hot water valve on the washer. Nothing to do with the household plumbing.

What wash temperature do you typically use?

Are there any other lights flashing (spin speed, water temp, etc.) when the beeping problem happens? Does the problem occur every time you run the machine? If so, and you normally use the warmer temperatures (not cold), try running a Regular or Heavy cycle on cold.

Also, you can run some tests in diagnostic mode. Get into diagnostics as outlined above, but don't press the spin buttons. Press Wash Temp Up to turn the hot water valve on or off. Press Wash Temp Down to operate the cold valve. Confirm water flows in both cases. Let the machine fill enough to see water in the tub. Turn the water off, and press the Delicate cycle button (turns on the divertor valve for recirculation). Wait 2 to 3 minutes for the valve to activate (there's no indication of it, you just have to wait long enough). Then press the Regular cycle button to turn the pump on. If the divertor valve is working, water should spray from the recirculation port at the upper right-rear of the tub. This is what happens during the EcoActive wash period (along with the basket rotating at 25 RPM). If not, the water will drain instead. Assuming it does recirculate, press Regular and Delicate to turn the divertor and pump off. Wait 3 minutes for the valve to deactivate, then press Regular again and the water should drain.

o
RE: Questions about Fisher & Paykel washers

how can i bypass the lock on the washer? i thought if i cut a piece of plastic to look like the lock under the lid, i can out that piece of plastic in the slot and still have the lid open and it will fake the machine out and think it is locked

o

My question is really about a dryer. I have a DG27CW1 that I just got delivered from Lowes. Anybody have this model or one like it? How long are your clothes in the "auto sensing" mode?

It seems like a good dryer. I like the concept. I like the top load. But I returned one because it was taking five hours to dry and the replacement is quicker... but not a lot.. and the part that bothers me is it seems like I get stuck in the "auto sensing" mode forever.

o

dadoes,

I performed the diagnostics that you suggested, and everything worked fine. I haven't had a chance to wash a load in cold water.

I did notice this morning, however, that the lights that flash are actually the 2nd and 3rd Wash lights and the Spin light, rather than the Rinse and Spin lights. Does this clear up the cause of the problem?

Thanks again!

o

dadoes,

Apparantly, I'm not losing it. This morning's load of clothes errored out with the 2nd and 3rd wash lights and the 2nd rinse light flashing. So, I'm thinking that I must be getting different errors.

o

During normal operation (when not in Diagnostic Mode), fault codes are typically indicated by flashing of a water temp, spin speed, or other option light ... cycle progress lights flashing at the same time simply indicate where in the cycle the machine is at that moment when the fault happens and aren't necessarily part of the code.

The detail fault codes translated from the cycle progress lights are (usually) only seen when in Diagnostic Mode. Assuming you have eight progress lights (five wash lights, two rinse, final spin) The two codes you report above translate to 97 and 100. The service literature I have does not reference Code 97 or Code 100 at all. However, my material only covers up to model GWL11. GWL15 may have newer/different/additional codes.

If you haven't yet done so, open your control console (two screws at the back corners) and look inside for a Service Tech Sheet. It should be in a small plastic bag. It may have some helpful details on fault codes. Be careful when opening the console for any wiring that runs from the panel display board to the motor board inside.

o

I am thinking of purchasing a Fisher & Paykel from Lowes. I went to the store thinking I would purchase a GE - but salesman suggested the F&P WA37TG1 or Maytag. My husband's only concern is the electronic panel and after having read a few posts here it does seem as though it could be an issue. We have read that machines w/manual knobs are better than electronic. Other than that I think we are sold on this washer. Unless anyone here thinks it is not a good machine.
Opinions please ... thank you.

o

dadoes,

Since we have concluded that it isn't operator error, I went ahead and called the service number and was told it is an electronics issue. They have given me the number to 2 service companies in my area. Since my machine is still under warranty, I'm just going to call and let them handle it. I don't want to void the warranty or mess anything up.

Thanks so much for your help!!

o

Well, my 11 year old Kenmore dryer has no heat AGAIN and it's out of extended warranty. I am SO ready to buy a new set; very interested in the F&P (electric) washers/dryers. What are the big differences and advantages of each: AquaSmart, Intuitive Eco,and Ecosmart? We have a well with slightly hard water and a septic system.
This forum is very helpful, but I'm overwhelmed with the choices. Thanks so much!

o

I have the Intuitive washer by F-P and still love it after four years. I appreciate that it is sensitive to the size of the load and adjusts accordingly. The thing I really like is that the wash cycles are shorter than a front-loader.

There are many good machines out there but I am sold on my F-P and it's simplicity.

Robyn

o

In simple terms ...

EcoSmart is the "base" model agitator-type machine. It's oriented toward energy savings and offers five cycles (Heavy, Regular & Perm Press, Delicate & Woolens) and an array of options (five water levels + auto sensing, five wash temperatures [rinses are cold], three spin speeds, soak, and a water-saving shower rinse or traditional deep rinse) ... but has limitations on getting a HOT wash.

Intuitive Eco is the "deluxe" agitator machine. It adds automatic fabric sensing to set agitation speed, a super-slow Handwash speed, a larger choice of options including a full-hot wash and preset cycles for specific laundry chores, and an LCD panel with graphics/icons.

AquaSmart is a non-agitator wash plate machine, akin to the Whirlpool Cabrio, Kenmore Oasis, and Maytag Bravos. It defaults to a water-saving low-fill mode on some cycles, but has options for a deep-fill mode on other cycles. There are two AquaSmart models. Similarly to the EcoSmart vs. Intuitive Eco, one AquaSmart model has a larger array of cycle options with a graphic LCD panel, the other has fewer options with an LED pushbutton panel.

o

This discussion has grown way too long! And it has taken at least two tangents - which model to buy and repairs. Time to start a fresh thread?

I have decided on a FP washer and dryer but like others have been stymied as to which model.

I checked with three local dealers. Lowe's says most of their appliance persons have FP. They only stock the Ecosmart, just stopped carrying the Intuitive. An appliance store pushed the Ecosmart, didn't like the Intuitive and ridiculed the menu on the Aquasmart. A builder's supply said all their appliance persons have FP too, the salesman said he has had an Ecosmart five years but would get the Intuitive. He is wary of the Aquasmart, doesn't see how it can wash well without an agitator. He also told me the FP rep said the new Ecosmart WA37 has an improved motor that is more powerful and quieter.

Aquasmart was rated highly by Consumer Reports. I read the manual and noticed that most of the wash selections actually use a conventional (full tub) wash rather than the high efficiency (wash plate) wash. So should you use different detergents depending on which wash you select? And can you get a good traditional wash without an agitator?

By the way, there are two models of Aquasmart, one is menu-driven and has many options, the other is push button simple like the Ecosmart, has many fewer options.

There isn't a lot of difference in price, about $1300 for the Ecosmart pair, $1400 for the basic Aquasmart pair, $1500 for the Intuitive pair, and $1550 for the LCD Aquasmart.

o

I don't have any experience using the AquaSmart models ... but I can say with reasonable authority that the Intuitive is the best choice between the two agitator models. It's considerably more flexible with cycle options, particularly in getting the full-fill hot wash that's tricky with the EcoSmart.

o

Missouri Bill,
We got the Aquasmart/Aerosmart models without the LCD screens, model #'s WL37T26D and DE62T27D. We like them a lot and they seem to work/clean as advertised. Noticed a big drop in the water bill! Very east to use and lots of ways to customize a wash cycle.
Per F&P, HE detergent is what you want to use in them, whether or not you are running an HE cycle. I especially like the no-agitator. Clothes are as clean as with our old Kenmore direct drive washer, and I think the F&P are gentler on them. Main reasons we didn't go with the LCD screen models are that they seemed much more complicated to use, we didn't need that many cycles, and this model has the liquid bleach dispenser, not the liquid fabric softener dispenser. As for local dealers, if you are in the Kansas City area, Factory Direct Appliance carries them, even though they didn't have these models on the showroom floor.
Again, very happy with our purchase and would do it again in a heartbeat!
kcred

Here is a link that might be useful: Factory Direct Appliance

o

I would like to add my personal experience regarding my F&P washer. I have had mine since 2005 and it is an Intuitive Eco model. Prior to this purchase, my sister bought a Bosch -which was the "great thing". When I was at her house, and even now, her wash has a lingering mildew smell when it gets a bit damp and is MOST unacceptable to me. That is why I purchased the F&P and ruled out the Bosch. My clothes are clean and my washer has NO mildew issues. This washer is extremely flexible and I am happy after several years. Bosch has changed out gaskets on my sister's washer and I think her laundry still smells...I would rather have a rock by the stream than mildew smelling clothes.

F&P is GREAT! Does everything it is supposed to do while being very energy efficient. The high speed spin really extracts the water and cuts the drying time significantly.

I recommend this product!

o

MB, I have the Aquasmart with the LCD screen - it really is simple to use. With this screen, you can adjust the water temp, spin speed, and designate whether or not you use softener with that cycle.

There are several cycles which can be conventional or HE wash.

I think on the push button (LED) controls, you can skip parts of the cycle, for a faster wash.

My only complaint with this machine is that there isn't a fast wash option, even if it were conventional.

Another little quirky thing - there is a towels cycle on the dryer, not on the washer (may be vice-versa).

We are very happy with the washer and top load dryer!

o

Been looking for a washer/dryer as our Maytags are 16 yrs old. Never an issue with those, but we have been upgrading the appliances in our house.

While in Lowes yesterday I saw a washer/dryer pair of Fisher & Paykel in the discount area. These where floor models that had a few scuffs. The DE62T61 dryer was $768 marked down to $576 and the WL26CW2 washer was $899 marked down to $674. So I went home and did some research, not much repair history, but I did find this thread.

This am I called Fisher & Paykel to see if any local service techs that would work on this brand. I found one approx 20 mins away that can service my area. He said that if he does not have a part in stock, he can get it in 3-5 days.

I returned to Lowes today and a nice saleslady helped me out. I asked her if the manager will reduce the price further to move the set today. She said it can't hurt to ask. The manager dropped the price by $74 on the washer and $76 on the dryer, making the pair $1100 plus tax. Did I mention that Lowes is now my favorite DIY store?

The pleasant saleslady also told me about the Lowes extended warranty. She said its 4 yrs for $156. I mentioned that they already come with a 2 yrs plan, she said yes so then you would be covered for 6 yrs. The Lowes warranty does not start till after the manufacturer warranty expires. She said that I have 30 days to decide, so I will call her when I add the warranty.

I should have them hooked up sometime this weekend. My wife seems to be pretty happy.

If anybody would like to offer any tips, I am all ears.

TIA for this great thread.

o

Make sure you get both phone numbers for your warranty & extended warranty. Mark these on your instruction manual with the dates they are effective. F&P will take care of the 1st two years, but after that you'll be calling a different company to handle any extended warranty repairs.

o

Thanks Jkom!

HE/powdered detergent?

Wife just purchased a large box of powdered cold water tide (non HE) a few weeks ago. I was reading the manual and it says if you use powdered to dissolve in water first. Has anyone ever used powdered non-HE detergent? If so how much did you use? I am thinking that very little of non-HE is what shall be used.

TIA!

o

Used the pair for the first time last night for a load of white towels. We used some wisk HE and wife wanted to add bleach. The online manual says there is a bleach dispenser on the WL26CW2, but ours just has a fabric softer dispenser right next to the detergent dispenser. The manual even states that they only recommend a fabric softer to be used in the dryer via a sheet.

Any ideas?

BTW the washer is very quite....

o

There were engineering/feature changes on the AquaSmart machines that had some models with a softener dispenser and some with a bleach dispenser. The online manuals may not be updated to reflect the correct features per model. You didn't receive an instruction manual with your machine?

Your machine (with softener dispenser) may have a Bleach option available with the Whites cycle. Select Whites, then scroll through the Wash Options submenu to see if it's there. If available, it should pause the cycle about 9 mins into the wash period, the lid will unlock, then you can add *diluted* bleach directly into the clothes ... or into the detergent dispenser (in which case I would also pour some clear water into the dispenser to be sure the bleach flushes through).

o

The aquasmart wl26cw1 has a fabric softener dispenser. The wl26cw2 has the bleach dispenser. I think FS use in HE machines defeats the purpose of an HE machine. The Aquasmart has to do a full fill rinse to disperse the FS, wasting a lot of water. I only use dryer sheets if needed.

When I was having problems with my first damaged Aquasmart, the tech that cam out said not to use liquid FS in these machines. He said that there have been a lot of people having build up in the machine, then it can get on the clothes. He said that most of the build up occurs on the bottom of the wash plate.

o

Thanks guys. No manual as this was a floor model. I emailed F&P to see if they will send me one. Will pour the bleach directly onto the clothes when needed and won't use FS in the washer.

We must have the CW1 then. I will check the part # on the back.

Also having some issues getting the washer to balance. The manual for the CW2 says to get the tub to near the front of the machine. Doing this gets the right side a bit higher then the left. Resulting in some good shaking/noise when spinning out.

So I get out a level and readjusted all 4 sides. Still getting shaking/noise during spin cycle. Floor checked level as we are on a slab.

o

Don't level according to how the tub looks. Use a spirit (bubble) level and get it properly level all around. Place the edge of the level in the little "lip" between the cabinet and plastic machine top. When that's done, run a few towels on spin, placed somewhat off-balance so some vibration is generated, and adjust one of the front legs very slightly up/down until you can feel it at the floor that the vibrations are minimized.

Do a search at F&P's web site under Customer Care, for all washer instruction manuals, and download the one for "USA AquaSmart." That might be a match for your model's feature-set.

o

They all shake somewhat. My first one had a tub that was out of round, and REALLY shook the house. My replacement one only shakes a little. The top of the machine only moves maybe a half an inch or so. The bottom does not move and it does not "walk". For some reason the Aquasmart models seem to shake more than the EcoSmart models. I have no idea why, and F&P should fix this ASAP.

o

Dadoes, That is the correct manual.

Will work on the shake later in the day.

Thanks for all your help guys.

o

I have a GWL11 that will not respond. When I unplug it for the recommended time and plug back in it instantly beeps continuously and shows what appears to be the diagnostic code of 49 (3, 4 & 8 leds lit). When I press start/pause, the beeps stop and then only the lid lock led is on. Pressing the power button does nothing but start the beeping & "code 49" again.
Does this really sound like a water valve? Or more like the motor control board (as the diagnostic code also represents an open circuit). But again, I am not sure it is really a diagnostic code.
PS~I have owned this for about 3.5 years. Didn't realize just how "cost efficient" it is until doing laundry today with a "loaner" and my dryer took twice as long! Love that f&p spin cycle! So any advice is greatly appreciated!

o

Can you get into diagnostic mode? Press Power to shut off the beeping. Make sure the power really is off (all the lights are off). Then press and hold Wash Temp Down and press Power at the same time. Two short beeps and the panel lighting up indicates diagnostic mode is active. Press the Spin Up (or Down) button repeatedly to get the Slow and Hold spin lights on at the same time. The wash progress lights then indicate the most recent machine fault code. Pressing Wash Temp Down will (or should) run the cold water. Wash Temp Up runs the hot water. Press Power to exit diagnostics. If hot works and cold doesn't, then you've probably got a cold valve problem of some ilk. Replacing the controller board is a last-choice fix for this problem.

Open the panel and jiggle and/or disconnect/reconnect the wire connector on the cold water valve in case it just isn't making contact.

o

When I press Power, the lights blink once, but the beeping begins again immediately and the lights remain on. The only thing that stops the beeping is pressing the cycle advance(which does not turn off lights) or Start/Pause(which turns off cycle leds and turns on lid lock led). Pressing any of the up or down does nothing. I have opened panel and disconnected and reconnected (along with unplugging and plugging and attempting to enter diagnostic in between each reconnection) to no avail. I have also removed both screens and cleaned, however, they showed no signs of being clogged. One item I failed to mention, upon opening the panel, I found detergent residue along the edges of the exterior(not on the boards) and drip residue down the backside...my sons "helping" and used too much detergent is my guess? I suppose I can't fuss at them too much for helping and attempting to clean by wiping the visible overflow!

o

Cleaning the valve or hose screens won't have any effect. This is an electrical problem, not a water supply problem.

If you can't get into diagnostic mode, then no use trying any further to confirm the problem via that route.

If the wires are properly connected to the water valve, not loose, connection pins not bent or broken, etc. .....

..... then the next choice is replace the cold water valve. If you have a volt/ohm meter, it should test at 64 ohms if good. Sometimes they don't read too far-off from that but are still bad.

This is your cold valve, available at SearsPartsDirect.com for $33

The third repair choice if the valve is not bad is replace the controller board, which is much more costly.

o

Thank you! I'll try that in the order you set out. Your assistance is GREATLY appreciated!

o

A $2134 mistake?

We bought the Aquasmart last week at Lowe's, with extended warranty, the cord they insisted we needed (and we don't--returning it), the dryer duct that wasn't installed, a clamp, and delivery at $94 ($85 of which is rebated), it all totalled $2134.32

A week into using it, I wonder if we've made a very expensive mistake.

We were replacing a Kenmore toploader and dryer, that basically we were pleased with until of course they died at around 8-10 years of age (came with house we bought). My dad urged me to replace them with something equally simple, i.e., no computer components, but something like that in the size we need (both parents living with me, and 2 kids of my own, plus hubby) was really hard to find. My cousin raved about her new Whirlpool Cabrio, and I trust her, so I was leaning towards that, but it looked a little "fancier" than what we needed. We saw the F&P in Lowe's while price comparing, and liked the simplicity of them. The manufacturer's warranty of 2 years is what really sold us on them, though--after 3 hours of "deliberation". I felt it had to stand for something!

Now that we've been using it for a week, I am having serious second thoughts, and will probably be calling Lowe's to return them.

First of all, the preset menus are nice, especially since most of the time, I just throw everything in and hit start. For other things, you have to scroll through the menus to find the best application for you, and sometimes there just isn't one. For instance, there is no "swimwear" feature for cleaning our swimsuits (with built in foam for the babies) anywhere, though there in the sports menu is a setting that can even clean baseball gloves! Weird.

Secondly, the Cabrio was larger, and I was looking for larger, but the salesman assured me that a queen comforter would fit in the F&P. It fit, but it was tight. I hope it came clean; it's a dark comforter, so it's hard to tell. And it seems that there is some extra wear on the decorative trim braid of the comforter that wasn't there before.

Drying is another story as well. Said comforter is now going through the second cycle of "comforter", as I sit and wonder why I paid $900 for a dryer that is supposed to sense when the darn thing is dry!!! The top loading is really nice and pretty easy on my back (I'm of average size). And I like how I can pause the machines and add things, or just check on them (though you can't see the machine in action--you just get assured that the clothes are wet in the washer).

I had read somewhere, quite a few months ago when the washer first died (and then was Frankensteined back to life by hubby), that F&Ps were the best machines in the industry, and how it was a shame that they were so relatively new here that they didn't get a lot of attention. I had that though echoing in the back of my mind as I signed away at the register, and now, as I am getting frustrated with the 85 minute wash cycles that miraculously jump down to 50 minute cycles a mere 10 minutes later (???), and the equally long dry cycles (you just don't have it flashing in front of your eyes, you just have to wait until you hear the beeps and it takes FOREVER), I wonder if my expectations were too high?

Surely not, coming from the seemingly prehistoric age of my Kenmores, but as a busy mom, I really don't have time to sit and wonder when the laundry is going to be done so I can throw the next load in. If I look at a timer, I expect it to be precise! Coupled with everything else, I think I did make a mistake.

I read this forum about 3 times before I actually made the purchase. I wish there was a trial period for washers and dryers! :(

o

Trying to get 4 of the Rubber Inserts as my washer did not come with them.

F&Ps customer service thru email is very quick to respond. But this is the 2nd time they have sent me the "foot assy" On my last email I even quoted the owners manual page and figure. I also called the part what they call them in the owners manual.

I have leveled the washer out 4 times and it still shakes w/ excessive noise. Reminds me of our old washer when you wash towels and they are all on one side. Each time I check, the towels are even around the inside of the washer during spin. I was thinking that the "rubber inserts" might help this shake/out of balance issue, but I don't think they will.

I am going to put in for a service call.

o

Carlyberk, I have the Aquasmart WL26CW2 and have had no issues with the timer. Almost all wash cycles (non soak) are 45-60 minutes long. As for swimwear, unless they are really sandy, I just wash them on the regular wash cycle. If the towels and swimwear are sandy, I use the Heavy Duty wash cycle and turn OFF the high efficiency wash. This does an excellent job of getting sand out of the items. I am thrilled with the performance of the Aquasmart. Compared to my old Maytag, this thing is very gentle on clothes, and does a better job of cleaning.

o

I am a brand new purchaser of the Intuitive Eco Smart; part of decision to go with F& P has ben Dadoes', as well as others, support of these machines. His name has actually turned up in a number of threads outside of GW, and he obviously believes in this product, as do what appears to be a good numbef of F& P owners on this site.

I decided to play the odds, and back my self up with exgended warrantly plans just in case.

Performance wise, I am very happy with my machine and dryer, both intuitives. They probably don't do much oe than what you could do on your own, but it is so nice to remove the quess work. The stain cycles defintely do help and work. I did not pre treat the wine stain on my table cloth, just threw it in and washed it on the wine stain cycle. Had this happened right aftet the wine was spilled on the table cloth, I believe it would have completely removed the stain. However, it probably sat there for an hour, and there did remain a shadow where the red wine had been, which I have since treated with the oxi powder, Had I done that first, and sent it through the wine stainn cycle, I doubt very much if there would have been any sort of stain.

I can honestly say my whites are brighter, and I am pleased. Use your judgment to decide which machine is for you. Some of the people out there are obviously did not read the suggestions in the manual.

Keep in mind that this is alot like sports in that any team can beat any other team any given day or in the words of one poster in the many I have been on during my washer and dryer's death throws, 'they are all junk,'

In other wowrds,nothing is guaranteed, so make decisions baswed on worst and best case scenarios.

o

I called an authorized repair place today. They are coming out tomorrow to have a look at why the WL26CW1 washer is shaking alot during the spin cycle. I have tried over the last month to balance it out and I can not.

o

Repair guy came out on Tuesday. He ordered us a new tub (I think thats what its called) He says the tub has water in the top to keep it balanced and that ours must of got a hole in it and let the water out. Will update after the repair is made.

o

Which dryer is better the DE62T27G or the DE27CW1?

The DE27CW1 has:
the soft touch to match our washer.
18 Specialty Lifecycles
Digital Display/Progress Screen
Dryer Animations
Fabric Type
Creasables Option
Key lock
$100 less in price.

The DE62T27G has:

5 Dryness settings: controls amount of moisture left in clothes.
High Airflow Fan

They are both the same size top loaders.

We have the DE62T27G, but the retailer will let us return it and get the DE27CW1 for $100 less.

TIA for your thoughts.

o

Mechanically they're identical. The difference is the control panel and cycle options. DE27CW1 (AeroSmart) is a cosmetic match for the AquaSmart washer. It has more choices of the pre-programmed lifecycles and is "fancier" with an LCD panel with menus and animated icons. DE62T27G (SmartLoad) is a cosmetic match for the EcoSmart washer with no LCD. Which makes it odd that you're being quoted a LOWER price on the more deluxe DE27CW1.

o

Thanks dadoes for your great advice as usual.

Both dryers are floor display models. They put the one we returned back in the discounted row for $150 more then we paid for it.

o

I would like to know if anyone has had a problem with dirt being left in the washer following a load. I have noticed dirt in the washer after a few loads, but figured it was due to excessively dirty clothes... the other day my daughter did her load of whites and some of the clothes came out with dirt streaks on them... this did not impress my teenager ;)
Has anyone else found this?
I looked this morning and found that there is dirt/grit in the crease at the bottome of the drum.
I have had dirt streaks on my mattress protector, but I had thought it was due to its' size.

o

I would also like to add, as a comment to someones' post way back.... change can go through the machine... I have had a repariman in 2-3 times to take dimes out of it's innerds... I think I should learn how to do this myself.. since my warranty will be done soon.

And now my dryer is making a terrible squeaking noise.. waiting on a part... have already replaced the heat sensor, or something like that...I like it, but am not impressed

o

Use the softener rinse option on those "dirty" loads for better rinsing/flushing of the particulates.

Do you normally wash in only cold water? Bad idea.

You don't say which specific model you have. You may need to program and run the cleaning cycle. Scrub the basket seam with a toothbrush if necessary to get it cleaned-up.

o

We have just purchased a WL26CW2 Washer (and a DE27CW1 dryer, but that's not relevant to the question).
We are blessed with a fair number of Beagles, and every so often the dog blankets need washing. As expected, there is a good amount of hair involved. Am I to expect any clogging problems? We did a "water only" cycle (in our old machine) to rinse the tub after any such loads. Will this washer get rid of the hair, or should we expect trouble down the road? If the latter, any suggestions?
Thanks.

o

I have the WL26CW2 also and have a Golden Retriever and a Boston Terrier. No hair issues, just use a cycle that is not "HE". More water helps suspend the hair and prevent it from sticking to the tub.

o

I've had so much trouble with my ten year old, top of the line, ASKO FL washer, I'm finished. At first I was in love; the laundry is extremely clean. But, the motor has gone on the washer twice, and I can't remember what all else, but too much. Plus, the only people that will work on it are an hour and a half away and they take their time. The dryer has been better, but has had it's issues.

My husband is handy and does the repairs on the many Maytags at our historic inn. It sounds like he could easily handle any repairs on the Fisher Paykel.

I've found a 4 year old used pair for $675. The dryer is a SMARTLOAD and the washer an ECOSMART. From this thread I would imagine I'd prefer the washer with more options, but this sounds like a good deal, and we're entering the slow season, so this isn't the best time of year for a brand new pair. I was considering a Whirlpool duet since I'd loved the clean, clean clothes my FL provided for me. From reading all of your posts, I'm pretty sure I'd like to try this pair. My laundry room is large enough for two washer/dryer pairs. This way I don't have to wait until my ASKO fails again. I'm pretty sure it's time is near again :) or :( ?? Bonnie

o

Have had my GWL11 for 3 years and today a small plastic part that holds the tub in place broke. Repairman came out to fix the washing machine and said he would have to order the part. The Part that broke was about the size of a Silver Dollar, a cast plastic part with a hole and grove cut into it. To get the part it must be ordered as a whole assembly of other parts that I do not need. Anyway thinking I had no other choice I told the repairman to do what ever was needed to be done to fix this thing. So after $212.00 ($78.71 parts) for parts and labor I will have a repaired washing machine in another 2 weeks. You see, with these machines the part have to be shipped from Austria or New Zealand, so the repairman says. The repairman was from a company Called A&E. I asked the repairman what A&E stood for and he told me that it stood for nothing that it is a company run by SEARS that contracts to all major appliance companies to do their repairs. So, after he left I went online to SEARS PARTS DIRECT and typed in the model # for my washing machine and found the parts listed on there. Guess What else? The parts can be here in two days and $20.00 less than what I just paid for them. Well, it looks like I just got a very expensive learning experience and the repairman was not completely honest either. OH, and one other thing the repairman was kind enough to tell me. He said that Whirlpool makes a washing machine exactly like the GWL11 for about $200.00 less. Wish I has gotten the model # from him. Said that Whirlpool had copied F&Ps design and had improved on it a little but was basically the same washing machine. And I would guess that the parts are a lot cheaper????

Here is a link that might be useful: Part 13

o

ALL of my towels have thread pulls and look terrible. After every wash I have to sit and trim the threads.

I cannot feel anything rough on the drum, but obviously something is pulling the threads.

Anyone else have this problem?

o
black wire hanging with a device attached

I'm unsure how to get inside to fix the problem! My machine runs till it gets to the spin cycle then it stops and start beeping.

o

I am having trouble with my FP Washer. I press the on button and it does not come on. I have done the trouble shooting the site recommends and the electricity is there, but the machine will not come on. Anyone that can help will certainly be appreciated. Thanks.

o

Ya - I am not impressed with the F&P laundry sets either.

We bought a pair back in 07. Last year the wash machine tub "dropped" and stopped working. Lowes extended service came and fixed (thank goodness we paid for the extended warranty). Now it broke again about Christmas time. We are now a month past and nobody seems to be able to get parts nor fix it. The service guy that came this time was less than impressive. Looked at it, left, came back, gave the "mechanics shoulder shrug" and said he needed a mother board (its a mechanical issue, not electrical). Have not seen him nor any "mother board" in weeks. Lowes people try to call the service company and get an answering machine, say they will get back with me - and nobody calls. Every time I call them I have to tell someone else the same story - then they tell me they will elevate it and someone will call me back. Nobody does. All this and every time I am on the phone with them for no less than 40 minutes getting bounced around, sitting on hold (with defective music on hold), then disconnected. How convenient.

I am not sure what is worse, the fact that service people are so stumped about fixing it or that Lowes extended warranty is not standing behind their claims to fix or replace.

Unimpressed with the F&P products and getting less impressed with Lowes.

o

I have a F P DEGXI Dryer that worked great for several years. About a year ago the lint cup stayed empty for several loads and then the machine turned the heating element off. I had a repairman out who didn't realize the lint was trapped around the lint cup but reset the button. Of course, it happened again and a different repairman came out and cleaned it and reset it. Three months ago, same thing only the hepa filter around the cup was replaced as well as the Element kit, manual reset, and thermals. I had debated on spending the $400 even though the machine is only 5 years old but I love it when it works. Now, this week the cup is empty after washing a blanket and the dryer needs to be reset again. This involves taking the sides and front off the machine. My husband can do it but hates too. I hate to pay $80 for a repairman to do it. Will this happen forever now?

o

I purchased a F/P GWl 15 Washer and Dryer in Jun 2007. Last week the drain pump was leaking . A tech came out to replace the pump which took 4 days to get and that one was bad spilling out all over my floor. I would not buy anything ever again from F/P. Stick with a name brand.Cost so far for the repair $300.00.Still not fixed.

o

Avoid like the plague! We purchased a washer and it is the worst piece of crap! It stops and beeps ten times during each cycle and you have to run and push a button for it to restart. It takes hours to do a single load. Their service is just as bad. Save yourself a ton of heart ache and buy anything else.

We HATE it!

-Bill Klingbeil

o

We own a GWL11. The seal that holds the thermostat inside the little water mixing tank sprung a leak. Total bill so far: $80 for the tech to come out and find the leak, $70 for FP to ship it 2-day air from California. Overnight would have been $100. For a little rubber gasket.

If they were smart, they'd just give it to me. That's what I do for my customers - and I keep them for 15 years at a time. It would have cost them $70 and would have gained them a satisfied customer with plenty of future business.

As is they have a VERY unsatisfied and vocal customer. No way am I ever buying anything from them again. And I'll make sure all my friends and relatives know the facts of the case - and let them draw their own conclusions.

o

I feel ya, Ben!

My GWL11 stopped with water in the tub. It was giving me a single beep every second. The following lights were lit - not flashing: middle light of green washes, first amber rinse light, and red spin light.

Customer support told me that it was either plugged with lint or the pump wasn't working. I checked the drain hose. It was clear. This had happened before and I was naive enough to call their recommended service provider. He insisted that I needed a new pump. I still have the old one (not broken) to use if my pump goes out in the future. After the serviceman replaced my good pump with the new one, he put it all back together and got the same diagnostic. Finally, $250 later, he checked and found a plug of lint.

So, when this happened today, I was sure it was another lint plug. I had to put the machine on it's side and check all the internal hoses. They all appeared to be clean. As a last resort, I removed the pump. There, underneath the pump was the drain pipe clogged with lint. I think I'm going to have to repeat this procedure every few years. I wish customer service had told me that this morning.
I wouldn't have lost the whole day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here