Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dndsmom_gw

Estate Brand

dndsmom
13 years ago

Sorry for another question, but I am not having a lot of luck finding info anywhere else!

We are in the market for a gas dryer and keep flip flopping on what to buy and how much to spend. We own a w/d set that is only 4.5 years old, but just moved to a house that has a gas hook-up, so are thinking of going with gas, instead of the electric dryer. I have decided I will keep my washing machine, for now. So the question is whether to buy a decent dryer now, or to get a cheaper one, then save our money and buy a GOOD set in a few years.

The two I have my eyes on are a Bosch Vision 300 for $750 (CAD) or an Estate 6.5 cu ft for $320 (CAD). As you can see, BIG price difference. If we go with the Estate, I only plan to keep it a few years, but I do want it to work! It seems so cheap, that I question if it will even dry our clothes?

Anyone have an Estate or know about these? I know they are made by Whirlpool, but obviously their bottom line. Any/all advice and input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (5)

• dadoes
    13 years ago

There's no effective difference between the Estate model you're considering and any other dryer of the same design made by Whirlpool. There's less advertising involved in the Estate brand and a simpler feature set on the appliances, which makes for the lower prices.

Why do you think an Estate dryer wouldn't dry your clothes? You don't cite a model number, but I'd assume the machine in question is Whirlpool's 29" dryer design, which they've been producing for well over 40 years with minimal design changes.

Is there no 220v outlet to support an electric dryer at your new location? If there is ... I'd suggest keeping your existing dryer unless there's a substantial difference in rates on electric vs. gas and you can verify that you'll recoup some savings on the cost of a new dryer across the "few years" you plan to use it.

• dndsmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the reply. The model number is EGD4400WQ. I was being a bit sarcastic about the cheapness of the dryer = non dry clothes :)

The electric dryer we have is a Frigidaire. It was a cheaper model when we bought it. It honestly takes about 1.5 hours to dry a load of clothes. We have smart meters here, so electricity is more costly than gas (during the time I am most likely to do laundry). Also, we don't have an outlet in place for it, and we were quoted $200-300 to put one in.

Thanks again for letting me know that the Estate brand is just as reliable as the Whirlpool name (just without the bells and whistles!)

• dualref
    13 years ago

The Estate dryer you are looking at is a very reliable dryer. We have Whilpool verion of it and we've had it for years and years. It does dry clothes and towels very nicely without overdrying them. Sheets take about 20 minutes and towels take about 40. And we use the very thick kind of towels.

• totsuka
    13 years ago

My friends dad has used Estate for years. He never complains about them.

• mara_2008
    13 years ago

A dear friend whose home is an "empty nest", only she and her husband, has an Estate set. She was actually upset when her dh bought it a few years ago (he found an unbelievable buy, at Lowe's or Best Buy, and bought them on the spot), but they have done well and she has had no complaints.