Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with smelly washer

Posted by justducky22 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 9:25

Ok, so I know I need to clean my washer...it is in a damp basement and so of course it stinks inside! A few times I have noticed chunks of waxy looking stuff in the bottom of the washer (top loader) after a wash. It does not smell and neither do the clothes...yet. At first I thought that maybe I washed a Chapstick but upon inspecting all the clothes and pockets, nothing. Any idea what this stuff could be? I mostly wash on cold if that matters. Any tips on getting the smell out would help too! Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with smelly washer

How often do you run the clean washer cycle? Do you add anything to it? Do you use fabric softner? What kind of detergent do you use? How often do you clean the drain trap? Do you leave the washer door and detergent tray open between uses? Is your water hard? What kind of washer do you have?

The waxy clumps are exactly that. Buildup from body oils, detergents, etc. Obviously your clothing isn't very clean either.

o

It is a top load ge machine. I do not use fabric softener at all. Using liquid detergent (honestly, whatever is on sale). Never cleaned the drain trap...not even sure what that is or where it is. I do leave the lid open but our basement is damp from all the rain so not sure if that would matter. Someone told me to remove and clean the agitator, put it back and run the largest cycle on the hottest water setting and add a couple cups of bleach and let it sit for an hour after filling. Repeat if necessary. Is there something I could use besides bleach? I don't currently use bleach at all because my husband is allergic. Thank you for the response!

o

Constant cold water and liquid detergent diet is the source of your problem. The odor will continue until you 1) get the machine properly cleaned and 2) change your laundry habits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here