Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Height of cabs in laundry room??

Posted by lisadlu (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 18, 10 at 9:16

I have 8' ceilings and was going to do 42" cab's up to the ceiling since that is what I will have in the kitchen. Then I started to think that cabs in the laundry room should probably start higher than they do in the kitchen. It just seems odd to have the cabinets come so low in there. What have you done? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Height of cabs in laundry room??

Need more information, including how large your space is?

1. Are the cabinets above your w/d only, and how many?

2. Are they above a countertop?

3. Measure the distance from the ceiling down to the highest point (washer if a front-loader or washer with open lid if a top-loader).

4. Do you want to leave some hanging space, such as a short clothes rod between two cabinets?

5. Do you have room for a tall utility cabinet rather than tall upper cabinets that can be difficult to utilize? Tall utility cabinets with pull-out drawers are WONDERFUL!

6. Consider making the cabinets 15-inches deep to accommodate large packaging.

What have I done? All kinds of things in several different laundry rooms over the years. Hubby is a VP of a cabinet manufacturing company with 35-years experience in design.

After down-sizing to a smaller home 4-years ago, I have a tall utility cabinet that contains all the laundry "stuff", and enough storage for "extras" and cleaning supplies, next to the w/d. There is a shelf over the W/D with baskets where we place the dirty clothes. There are enough baskets so everything is automatically divided by color, type, etc. I have an accordion drying rack that pulls out from the wall. This is where wet towels/washcloths/dish towels and dish rags get dried before being tossed into the basket.

It usually comes down to practical use, space available, and $$$$$ (LOL).

-Grainlady

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here