Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendations for an apartment W/D in Germany?

Posted by cotehele (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 9:09

Hello-This is my first post here in several years. I've been hanging out on the kitchen and cooking forums when I have time. I hope someone can help me.

My son and daughter-in-law moved to Hannover, Germany in June and finally found an apartment this week. There is a hook-up for a washer in an alcove in the hall. They are on a tight budget, my son is a grad student. Are there washers that clean well, but are on the lower end of price? I used a washer/dryer machine in England a few years ago. It wasn't steller, but the clothes did get somewhat dry. Any thoughts on the w/d machine vs. the washing machine?

Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendations for an apartment W/D in Germany?

I usually recommend Bosch/Siemens washers and dryers for people on a budget. They're not too expensive but do a good job and are fairly reliable. I would definately stay away from brands such as Hoover, Candy, Indesit, Haier and all these other low-end brands. Candy only recently had problems because their washing machines exploded during the 1400 rpm spin cycle!

AEG/Electrolux also make nice machines. BEKO and Gorenje are also good but it's really more of a hit or miss situation with them, IMO.

Definately check out eBay and the like. Hannover is big (been there once) so one might even find a used Miele for a good price.

For even more advise, post you question on here. It's another international forum with many members from the UK and all over Europe.

Greetings from Germany,

Alex

Here is a link that might be useful: automaticwasher.org

o
RE: Recommendations for an apartment W/D in Germany?

Alex, Thank you so much for your recommendations and the other forum. Candy, Indesit, BEKO and Gorenje are new to me. I appreciate knowing how seriously to consider these. The kids can take some time to find an affordable machine and use the laundry mat in the meantime. I had not thought about used washers. We have a Miele induction cooktop and a dishwasher. They are excellent products.

Cheers,
Cotehele

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here