Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Washer Modification (not really)

Posted by mieleforme (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 18, 10 at 8:29

I was laying in bed the other night listing to the washer fill durring its first rinse when I got an idea. It dawned on me that the only time I ever hear our washer is when it is filling, draining, and spinning. The next day I thought Id try to see if I could reduce the noise from the incoming water. I pinched back on the flow for both the hot and cold water lines. It worked great! Dont get me wrong, the fill isnt disturbingly loud but its very nice having it completely silent now. The only time I hear the machine now is when it drains and spins. Now, I did cut it back too much the first time and I got the water intake fault. But with a couple more loads I was able to increase it enough to prevent this and havent had a problem since. The detergent tray rinses out thoroughly and the washer always fills to the appropriate levels. Sure it takes a little longer but you cant hear a thing. Another benefit to this is when others may be in the shower it doesnt consume all of the cold water and give somebody red ass. Just thought Id share. Now if I only I could silence the drain pump.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Washer Modification (not really)

I've found different types of intake hoses (braided, rubber, etc. can affect noise, and not having sudden 90-degree bends quiets things down too. On one old machine I had, I opened it up and put sound insulation around the drain pump. You may also be able to insulate the wall itself, or better isolate the washer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here