Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
witmom

Considering LG washer- is mold/mildew a 'true' problem

witmom
15 years ago

After reading Consumer Reports recommendations, as well as J.D. Power and Associates rankings, my husband and I had decided to get an LG washer/dryer. When I went online and read various reviews of the product, mold and mildew seem to be a recurrent problem that is mentioned over and over. I know that with FL you should wipe them out when finished and leave the door open to dry. My question is, is mold a "true" problem with the LGs, moreso than with any other front loader? Or is this people who are not properly caring for and maintaining their washers?

Comments (34)

• dragonfly_
    15 years ago

I have had my LG set for 1 year now without any problems. Most of the time I leave my washer door is open as they are in a separate room. As long as the interior of the washer is dry before the door is closed you should not have an issue. Mold/mildew problems are due to the moist interior while the door is closed. Front loaders are all air tight when the door is closed so the same should apply to all.
    I am very happy with both washer and dryer.

• witmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks dragonfly. That's what I was thinking- it's not necessarily just this brand, but probably an issue that would occur with any front loader if not properly maintained.

• regus_patoff
    15 years ago

The mold is a problem on all FL's.

It's because of the small amount of water trapped under the lip of the Door Gasket Seal (not on TL's).

We leave the Door open for a few hours after using the washer.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

A salesman showed me that LG has a small hose where you can drain out the residual water down at the bottom next to the pump filter. I would think that if you are not going to use your washer for a while (vacation) or haven't done any hot loads for a while, it couldn't hurt to drain out that water. I suspect my machine will run enough that I won't have that issue for about 6 years -- when the youngest heads off to college.

I suspect the other makers have something similar -- it's meant for servicing the washer, but I didn't look at them that closely.

• dragonfly_
    15 years ago

This drain hose is located near the lint and object catcher. One must drain the hose before unscrewing the lint and object catcher. I realized that quickly on the first turn.

• housekeeping
    15 years ago

I think the mold/mildew problem is a compound issue. not just attributable to a single cause.

I once left my ASKO machine closed with a full load of water in it for more than a year and I got no mold. Nor have I in more than 15 years of FL use.

But then I use often use hot water, and never use any FS or liquid detergent and I am very careful about what type and how much detergent to use so I'm not getting a minute, but steady, build-up of gunk in my machines (non are LG's, though I don't think that matters too much).

Except as noted above, however, I do leave my FLs' doors open between loads (which is basically just twelve hours, as I wash most days). I don't worry about drying the machine manually and my machines are in a basement that most people would consider very damp (I have an open stream running through it all the time - it was intended for cooling milk.)

If you regularly use hot water for at least some loads and you are careful about detergent and additives use and generally leave your machine door slightly ajar, I think you'll be fine with any current machine.

HTH

Molly~

• astridh
    15 years ago

I am wondering about this also. I am attractive to the looks of the LG. But I am wary, because there are a lot of negative posts on epinions.com. Many people specifically say things along the lines of "I always dry the seal, and leave it open, and do everything I am supposed to and I still got the mildew smell". I haven't seen as many posts like this for other front-load washers. I am also considering the Duet, but then there are a lot of complaints of wrinkling for that one. I am willing to spend some money for my new set, but I want it to last me ten years! I wish we could get some feedback from people who have had their LG for a long time.

• workerbee-peonies
    15 years ago

My niece has LGs and she has had no problem at all in two years. She does live in Scottsdale AZ so very low humidity. I doubt she leaves the door open. I have a Miele and was specifically told by the Beverly Hills showroom that I did not have to wipe out any water in the gasket or leave the door open. So far so good. I wash two days a week and live in So Ca.-Orange County so humidity is not really high-around 50%.

• weedmeister
    15 years ago

having had my lg pair for a bit over 3 years, no mold. I leave my door open all the time.

Except when washing...

• birdsong_z10_sf_ca
    15 years ago

We've had the LG Tromm Steamwasher WM2487HRM for about 15 months. Within six months, I began to notice a smell. I hadn't been doing the tub clean or leaving the door open. Now I frequently do the tub clean and leave the door open (which I hate). The mold accumulates in the bottom of the seal around the door (described by regus_patoff above). The tub clean is not entirely effective in cleaning it. Some rusty spots around the seal are evident also. When doing the tub clean yesterday, I noticed now it leaks. On the positive side, it does a great job cleaning the laundry. I use Tide HE.

• velozity
    15 years ago

I have not had problems with mold or mildew. I do not leave the door open (cats love to go in there), but I do drain the water every 1-3 days. The W/D is in constant use and I almost always run the cold/cold cycle, about 5% of the time warm/cold.

• looser
    15 years ago

I would strongly recommend leaving the door of any FL open. It is not necessary to keep it wide open. I followed the advice of another GW'er, Joanne, to cut a slit in a tennis ball and slide it over the door latch. That way the door is just slightly cracked open, enough to let the drum and rubber gasket dry out. No cats would get in there either...

• am_indy
    15 years ago

It seems consumer reports has at least recently acknowledged that there is a "problem" with mold (see link) and FL machines, but this brief article/blog entry really does not help much as I consider this $1600+ purchase. Would like some more solid answers because the negative reviews are really scaring us away from the FL machines. I really don't want to be signing up for complicated repairs, extra cycles, additional chemical treatments/products, and constant maintenance and bleaching of inner parts. Who's happy with their FL machine and what is your make/model? And what sort of detergents are you using?

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2008/08/mold-on-washers.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Consumer Reports Recent Comments on Mold

• suburbanmd
    15 years ago

Current LG washers (the ones I've looked at, anyway) have a Tub Clean cycle. Some of the earlier models, in the "Previous Models" section of the LG website, didn't have one, judging from the online manuals. I wonder if anyone has had an intractable mold problem in spite of using the Tub Clean cycle regularly. The cycle itself doesn't sound unreasonably difficult or expensive.

I don't own an LG washer yet, am expecting delivery of a WM2455 next week. I'm over worrying about mold, am now worried about vibration...but obviously I expect it'll be ok, else I wouldn't have taken the plunge.

• michelle_phxaz
    15 years ago

We have an LG 2688 Steam washer, love it. Mold will grow anywhere that doesn't have adequate airflow, so if you allow your machine to dry out for a few hours after washing and use a rag to dry the rubber gasket, there should be no problems.

As for vibration, the only reason a machine vibrates is because it is either not leveled properly or is on an unlevel surface.

We use Tide HE (alternate between powder and liquid) and love the smell and softness of the clothes.

• mc_hudd
    15 years ago

I have the Maytag Epic set & so far I love it. I have only been using it for a little over 3 months, but have had no problems yet. I mostly use Sears detergent, a huge bucket is about $15 & you only have to use about 1/2 the recommended amount. I also use Purex HE liquid det. for some things. I also switch between liquid fabric softener & vinegar for rinses.

I always wipe out under the rubber gasket, the glass door, and the dispenser drawer when I'm done w/ laundry for the day. I leave the door & the dispenser drawer wide open until next use. I also use powdered Cascade to clean my washer once a month or so. I put about a cup of Cascade in on a sanitary cycle & let it go. Like I said, no problems yet.

It's not hard to wipe things down when you get done w/ laundry or to run a cleaning cycle every so often. I would bet that if you are OK w/ doing these things, you would love a FL washer.

~Mc_Hudd

• lascatx
    15 years ago

We've had the LG Steam washer for 3 months now and have not had any mold or smelly issues. In fact, I'm finding some shirts that got smelly before and getting rid of the smellies.

As far as vibration, these machines are very smooth and quiet. Check them with a level on all 4 sides and they should run very smoothly for you.

I'm enjoying the FLs and wish we had changed earlier.

• czechchick2
    15 years ago

2 years old LG and no problem.No mold ,no mildew, no smells.
    Always leave door open in between washing.Never did any tub washing either. Laundry room temp is 76-78 deg.

• regus_patoff
    15 years ago

We've had the LG WM2688 for about a year and leave the Door open between loads, and haven't had a mold problem... till now.. noticed the smell, checked under the Door Lip and found some black mold (had been using Tide HE Liquid).

I cleaned it off and ran a Tub Clean cycle.
    Everything is OK now. Will have to do that more often.

Have Sears powder w/OxiClean that we will be switching to.

• stoner12
    9 years ago

I purchased the Tromm front loading washer and can tell you that it is the WORST WASHING MACHINE I HAVE EVER PURCHASED!!!! I have followed all the instructions the washer posted in it's user manual and have never ever left the door of the washer closed after using it. The mold on my clothes and shear filth that collects in this washer is amazing!!! Every other load it spews filthy brown water on my clothes and I absolutely hate this washer. It was the worst purchase I have ever made and I would not recommend this washer to anyone I know EVER EVER!!!

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

It takes more than leaving the door open. Be careful with fabric softener (avoid if possible), be careful with detergent amounts, use liquid chlorine bleach and hot washes frequently. Oh and if you use liquid detergent give powder a try.

• malba2366
    9 years ago

The simple fact of the matter is that front loaders need a little more care in their use than the top loaders most of us are used to. Some steps to prevent mold
    1. Leave door slightly ajar after washing
    2. Use hot water washes every now and then
    3. Wipe down the door gasket after every use
    4. Avoid using excessive amounts of detergent and softer

• Don
    9 years ago

What's always missing from FL washer mold discussions is the relative humidity in the laundry room. Humidity is the primary determinant of whether the machine will dry out between uses, or grow mold .
    Many laundry room are probably borderline for conditions that grow mold. People who regularly use the sanitary cycle and/or bleach kill off mold starting to colonize. Cold water users have problems in more humid laundry rooms.
    I doubt the type of detergent, use of fabric softeners, or brand has much to do with keeping a clean front loader.
    A humidistat is about $10. Mine is magnetically attached to my dryer.

• Rault85
    9 years ago

When I got my first front loader I didn't know anything about mold being an issue. I also lived in the south with constant high humidity. I never left the door open or dried out the boot. I used both powder and liquids and used the sanitize cycle just about everyday and never had an issue. That machine, a Samsung 419, lasted for 5 years before the bearings went and one arm of the spider assembly turned to powder, literally. We took it apart recently to repair it and give it to a friend who recently lost everything in a fire and it was squeaky clean, save some hard water deposits.

Now that I know what causes mold, mildew and nasty odors, I still don't do much in the way of maintenance since I still use the sanitize cycle daily for cloth diapers and don't use much liquid detergent at all.

Some people have issues no matter what they do/try it seems but for most dirty machines, it usually comes down to a mixture of bad laundry habits and too much/too little product.

• sandy1616
    9 years ago

I had an older LG FL for 5 yrs with no mold problems until my MIL left a load of wet towels sealed in the washer for a week :(. Mine had no heater. We left the door and detergent try open when not in use. No issues.

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

>I doubt the type of detergent, use of fabric softeners, or brand has much to do with keeping a clean front loader.

I agree that machine brand has little to do with it, but detergent and fabric softener absolutely play a role. The buildups left by those products provide a perfect substrate for mold.

• Don
    9 years ago

If I took precautions against mold, yet still had a musty smell, I would get a small dehumidifier for the laundry room. It wouldn't need to run all the time. If it was turned on after doing the laundry, it would run for a half day or so until the bucket is full. (The dryer pulls air into the laundry room. A too humid laundry room probably doesn't become humid until the dryer is finished).
    That period of dehumidification should be enough to dry the washer if the door has remained open.
    The smallest capacity Frigidaire would be a good choice, about $170. Most houses do not have a year-round laundry room humidity problem.

• gigim
    9 years ago

Have had 2 brands of FL - Kenmore Elite and now LG - mold problems in both. I use only powder now, leave door a jar (pain in the neck because it swings completely open into the middle of the walkway) wipe out gasket after last load, no more fabric softener in washer. Didn't like the first one (Kenmore) but got the LG with the house we bought so I am stuck with it until it dies. Way too much trouble for a washing machine plus you cannot soak things, I miss that feature of a TL. Will NEVER buy a FL if given the choice. Would not recommend one to anyone I cared about, the energy savings and supposed "better cleaning" ability are not worth the trouble to try to keep the darn thing dry inside (unless perhaps you live in a very dry climate and don't mind keeping the door open, and never using fabric softener and only using powdered detergent and wiping out the gasket after use and...and...and...and...

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

^What water temperatures do you wash with, and with what frequency do you use bleach in loads? Those seem to be more important than than the factors you listed... I haven't wiped the gasket in any of the front loaders I've owned since 1997. I use liquid detergent as well. Never any mold problems.

My LG has a magnetic thingamabob that keeps the door slightly cracked open for air circulation. Just start pushing the door closed, but don't latch it. Let go as soon as you feel it magnetically attracted to the body of the washer.

10-15 gallons vs 40-50 gallons a load is a big deal. Most of the world has been using front load washers successfully since forever. We in North America should make an effort to step into the 21st century and join them. Traditional top load washers have worked well for a long time, but it makes little sense to be manufacturing them today. Having said that though, I applaud Speed Queen for continuing to actually make a QUALITY top load washer for people who prefer them, unlike most of the junk on the top load market today.

• gigim
    9 years ago

I wash with warm water for most loads, hot for sheets and towels and regular liquid bleach when needed on whites but not every time on a white load. My LG's door is either completely closed(water tight) or the door hangs open, no in between. I realize that some people are fortunate enough to not have the mold problem but a LARGE number of people have the problem. Perhaps different makes and models are different but I have not seen any definitive info on which models do not have the problem

• hvtech42
    9 years ago

Does your washer have a heater? I find that warm on mine is in reality closer to cold, so I wash with hot on most loads. Whites and heavy soils get a sanitize cycle with the heater. I see little difference in complaints between makes and models, none of them is immune to the problem. Instead, the differences in complaints seem to be between different people. Some people have used front loaders since forever with no issues, others have had the mold problem in washer after washer. That is pretty telling as to the true cause of most of the problems. I think the main reason Europeans have always used front loaders with no issues is their higher wash temperatures.

Re: soaking, all my loads that would get a soak get the sanitize cycle, which seems to accomplish the same thing, with that super long tumbling time and super hot water. Of course if you need short cycles an agitator top loader would definitely be a better choice.

• practigal
    9 years ago

I think gigim is really onto something. I live in a dry climate and any water anywhere evaporates quickly...on the few rainy days that we have water just does not evaporate until the rain stops.

• Don
    9 years ago

The reason mold was historically so much less of a problem for European front loaders is hot water being an important part of the cleaning process.
    Front loaders arriving in high numbers in the U.S. coincided with the development of excellent cold water detergents and an emerging energy conservation consciousness. Manufacturers then sold the lower end machines in the U.S. without heaters, making the problem worse.
    How many FL machines, installed in normal humidity and run weekly with hot water, have mold problems? My guess is almost none. Just like in Europe.
    The other end of the risk spectrum is doing cold water washing with a machine installed in the basement. A very common way of doing laundry in the U.S.
    Not using enough detergent is also a risk factor. The components of the detergent clean the machine too. It's odd how so much advice on avoiding mold doesn't consider the issue of not adequately removing laundry soils from the machine. When in doubt, the correct amount of detergent is the smallest of the multiple levels recommended by the detergent manufacturer.
    No one solved their mold problem by just changing detergent types or eliminating fabric softener. They made multiple changes to their laundry practices.