Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

Laundry Room Doorway is 1/4" wider than washer

susanlynn2012
10 years ago

Laundry Room Doorway is 1/4" wider than washer. I would like to replace my dying Whirlpool Duet Set that is 27" wide with the LG 5.1 Cu Ft Washer and the LG 9.0 Cu Ft Gas Dryer that are both 29" wide. My doorway without the door is 29.25" wide. Would this be enough clearance or will I have to go with less wide machines and still not be able to wash my comforter in the machine like I want to?

Comments (5)

• dave1812
    10 years ago

remove the "door stop" moldings on the doorjamb. that will give you more than 1/2" of additional clearance. either remove them carefully and reinstall, or just buy new moldings and repaint.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave, thank you so much! Yes, it is the doors stops that are taking up the room as I was thinking about that but was not sure if I could do it. I was thinking of keeping the door off the room anyway as I leave it open all the time and never had a mold problem with my laundry machine. The door opens up inside the small laundry room taking up valuable space when it is open. If I want to put a French Door on the opening (taking the hinges of an accordion wall door like my neighbors did), I can always install new stops.

The washing machine has been having an F11 code for months and take hours now to keep restarting the machine to work and sometimes the door gets locked and I have to do a whole new cycle to open it as pulling the plug out will not work. The dryer is discolored. Both units are about 8 years old and I always wished they had more room inside so this is my time to do something about it rather than have an expensive repair.

My over-sized queen bedspread and down comforters do not fit inside. I wash my little dog beds once a week and the bigger machine would save me so much time as well as having great reviews. I really want this highly recommended set that is on sale right now and I will save money by staying with the white color.

• erinsean
    10 years ago

We took the folding/slatted type doors off our laundry room years ago and love the openness of it....Is off the kitchen and do not miss the doors at all. They were always in the way unless they were shut completely.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

grandmaof3, thank you so much for replying. I do not think I would ever want any type of door on the opening again anyway and I feel like you that I will love the openness of it. I never shut the door and always kept it wide open causing the room to have less space inside. My door is a regular door with no slats and opening it inside, caused it to take up so much room. The room is directly across from my bedroom so I would like to stay with the white color to make the room not look any smaller than it is already and to save $180 for the set. I keep the white wicker hampers outside the room in my hallway to give me more room to move around in the small room that I am blessed to have since not many townhouses have laundry rooms so convenient to use.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just ordered the big LG washer and dryer set a few hours ago but I am getting a little bit nervous. My friend removed the door today and it feels so much bigger now in the tiny room. Tomorrow he is going to come back to remove the stops on the side of the door. It is going to be a very tight fit and I keep wondering if I should have gotten a set a little bit smaller but bigger than what I have now. I will sleep on it as in NJ, I have three days to cancel a contract. I did the transaction over the phone with the Internet department to a local store not far from me. I think I will love never having to go to the laundry mat again and most likely the delivery will take place on Saturday.