Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurelzito

Life's Good Washer Leaking Top Loader

Laurel Zito
12 years ago

I had a front load washer, that was leaking from the door. The repair people said you should be a top loader, it can't be fixed. I got a Life's Good washing machine model WT5001C, and it is leaking from the bottom. How is this possible? I am unhappy with my Home Depot installation. The installed lied. He told me the water was coming out hot, but it was not. I had to have a plumber come. The installer had failed to remove a filter that was blocking the hot. Now, I am out the plumbers fee and I still don't have a washing machine. I need to find one fast. I am having them come and take this one away. I don't know when they will come. I need a good place to buy in the San Francisco Bay area. Best Buy is too expensive. I guess I have to try Lowe's, but I am not very impressed with their service either. I was not happy when I had Lowe's come do an estimation for which they overcharged. When I called LG, the number is not even working 800 243-0000 is disconnected. I want to ask LG why their washing machine leaks when it's a top loader.

Comments (13)

• itguy08
    12 years ago

Maybe try Sears? Since you know what you want you can order online and they will deliver and set it up for you. When we ordered our Kenmores back in April that's what I did. Ordered online on a Thursday and thy were delivered and installed on Saturday. The delivery guys were good and the machines work really well.

• mrb627
    12 years ago

Are you saying that your LG washing machine leaked from day one? Sounds like a loose hose or perhaps the machine was dropped or damaged during shipment. It happens more than you think.

If it is brand new, I would give HD a chance to replace it with a working model and make good before you write them off completely.

MRB

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I am considering sears, there is a scratch and dent store, I could check out. I was unhappy with the sears service I got for the old central heater we had. They keep coming to fix it at our expensive, and it would break again shortly after that. Each time Sears came to fix it, they charged us saying this time it would be fixed. We lost several hundred dollars before giving up and buying a new one some where else. This was embittered me towards Sears. Kenmore products are therefore last choice. I won't even like them on facebook.

I guess it could have been damaged also. I just wonder if this model always leaks since I can't contact Life's Good. Maybe this was why I got such a great deal on the washing machine. It leaks and it is good this problem showed up sooner or later. I don't see how a top loader can leak, unless someone punched holes in the bottom or it over flows from the top. I did not see it over flowing from the top. It leaks only from the bottom.

• itguy08
    12 years ago

I'd try calling them again - there may have been issues with the phone lines or something like that.

But it can leak at the bottom if the bearing or seal is not sealing correctly. I think these new TL's are pretty much front loaders turned on their side with some more pumps and parts...

• dadoes
    12 years ago

Tropical_Thought,

Why would you believe a toploader can't leak? There are several places in a washer's mechanism from which leaks can occur, doesn't matter if the machine is a toploader or frontloader. Any machine part inside the cabinet (which is pretty much all of the parts) that leaks, the water will run down to the floor. Where else could it go? Water valves, hoses, dispensers (if any), pumps, seals on the drive shafts that run the agitator and/or spin the basket, etc.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That good to know, I thought when the washer leaked it was due to the door seal being a front loader, and the water underneath rusts out the bottom plate creating leakage. I still can not get anything on that life good number at all. I do like the machine over all, but the warm cycle is cold, and the leaking is only getting worse. I am doing all my laundry now, so when they come take it away, at least I will have all the laundry done. The is a glass door on top so you can see the clothes to check and see if they are unbalanced and readjust if they are imbalanced.

• Laurel Zito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I thought they were called Life's Good, but maybe they changed to Life's Green. I could not call them, but I had a chat with them. Home depot forgot to level the machine that is why it leaks. My basement is not level because it is a old house. They sending someone to level it tomorrow, if that doesn't work then I can have LG come instead of home depot.

• sandy808
    12 years ago

Home Depot is usually pretty good with customer service. It may be that you are dealing with a store that has poor management. Call the Home Depot headquarters. You will likely get a better response and satisfaction.

We once delt with a Home Depot in another area whose Corian installer did a horrendous job with a sink...incorrectly as well. The local Home Depot gave me the run around. A call to the headquarters resolved the issue.

Fortunately we have a good Home Depot within a reasonable distance in our new area that we can do business with.

• cross_stitch
    12 years ago

I bought this machine from Sears (Cupertino, CA) 3 months ago. No problems with installation or performance. Since you are in California, be sure to take advantage of the rebate from PG&E. I got $125 back about a month after I bought the machine.

• bug_girl
    12 years ago

I found out the installer did level it. Someone else came and it was leveled, so now they are giving me a new one, that should arrive on Monday or Tuesday. This one is apparently defective.

• herring_maven
    12 years ago

tropical_thought writes: "I thought they were called Life's Good, but maybe they changed to Life's Green."

Through most of its history, the company's name has been Lucky Goldstar. A few years back, the company introduced the brand LG (the initial letters of Lucky Goldstar); the American subsidiary of Lucky Goldstar is LG Electronics America. The advertising slogan, "Life's Good," using the same two initials, never has been a company name or a brand name.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lucky Goldstar's history

• nerdyshopper
    12 years ago

I have repaired my own washers for years when they were top loaders. Usually the problem was water on the floor. Many reasons but mostly hoses. One got rusty on the outer tub where a hose connected. I think that a leak is no indication of how the new one will fare but I worry about quality control. Many people are very happy with newly purchased LGs. I don't know if that will be true in the long term.

• bug_girl
    12 years ago

If I keep the load down very small it will not leak it only leaks on a full load. But, there is no warm water in the warm cycles only hot or cold. The whole point in having a big one is so you can do huge loads and save work.