Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
galleyette_gw

Does Anyone Have a 'Laundry Lift'?

galleyette
12 years ago

I'm intrigued by the 'Laundry Lift', but have never actually seen one in the flesh. It seems to be very positively reviewed, but the venetian-blind-type system of raising and lowering it looks challenging.

It would be a great 'green' addition for the small 2nd floor laundry we're in the process of building. That is, unless it's more trouble than it's worth, and ends up being 3-D ceiling art!

Here is a link that might be useful: Laundry Lift

Comments (4)

• stbonner
    12 years ago

I bought one, had my husband install it (putting multiple holes in the ceiling) and then never could get it to work satisfactorily. Like a bad venetian blind, it was hard to get the thing to "catch", and then sometimes it would just let loose on it's own - even with nothing touching it. I thought it was a great idea but I had nothing but trouble with it and took it down within a week.

Now I've got multiple holes in my ceiling that drive me crazy. I'm going to have to get the ceiling patched and repainted. Ugh.

• dianepatterson
    12 years ago

I have a product made by Stewi of Switzerland. It has one long central arm and two "wings" come off of it. I can fold up the wings when there are no clothes on it. It was very important to me to be able to hang a lot of clothes AND get the lift out of the way for every day use (before, I used to have a gigantic clothes rack in our dining room!). Everyone who's seen it wants one.

(I am not sure if this link down here is to the same model as mine...it looks slightly different. But I'm sure I got Stewi, because I could not find anything American that did what I wanted!)

Here is a link that might be useful: Stewi Laundry Lift

• izeve
    12 years ago

@galleyette, these types of ceiling dryers are extremely popular among apartment dwellers in Europe, where tumble dryers are virtually unheard of and space is at a premium. In Poland, almost every apartment has one of those installed in the bathroom, over the bathtub. My parents have had one for years and I think it works very well. I was thinking about getting one when we lived in a condo here in the US, but then we bought a large house and now I have enough space to use a standing laundry rack.

I don't know anything about the particular brand you have linked but the general idea is definitely tested and works well.

• dianepatterson
    12 years ago

I looked at a lot of ceiling dryers during our remodel, and there was really no contest: the good ones were from Europe, because Americans simply don't hang their laundry. (Since all of the clothes I've bought recently, from undies on up to jeans, ask for air drying, how is this possible? Is everyone else using their dryer on this stuff?)

I really wanted to get one like this traditional English drying rack, which would look really cool, but it took up too much space.

Here is a link that might be useful: Traditional rack