Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mar56qnit

Non HE Washing Machine

Jane J
10 years ago

Does anyone know of a quality NON HE washing machine?
I have had my Whirlpool Cabrio since Nov. 2011.
Tonight was the last time I will ever use this miserable machine.
I am so sick of its putting holes in my clothes. Tonight yet another sheet ruined by this Machine.

I know of at least 5 women who have HE machines and without
fail HATE them. Additionally while you may save on water, the machine runs for practically an hour. So we've switched from
water usage to electric usage.

Comments (21)

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

So we've switched from
    water usage to electric usage

Not so. HE washers move much much less water which requires much much less electricity to move. It uses smaller motors pulling less watts.

Even though it cleans for a much longer amount of time it actually uses less electricity.

But I agree Whirlpool Cabrio sucks.

Not all HE are Cabrios.

In order for an HE system to work properly the drum needs to be horizontal. So as the clothes tumble they all get soaked and agitate against each other properly. The Europeans have known this for over 50 years.

But if you want a good non HE machine look at the Speed Queen threads in this forum.

• tennblondie78
    10 years ago

As the previous poster said, Speed Queen makes a good non HE top loader. Another option would be to look through used appliance stores or keep an eye out for one in the paper. I have seen lots of used but in like new shape non HE washers for sale. I had a like new set that I regretfully gave to my parents because my husband thought a front loader looked cool. I hate that washer with every fiber of my being, for lots of reasons. He built a counter top above our set, so now I am forever stuck with a front loader. I know there are tons of people that love them, and it really is just personal preference. Every time I use my washer I mourn my old water hog top load set.

• whirlpool_trainee
    10 years ago

As deeageaux said: the amount of energy (= money) needed to heat gallons and gallons of hot water to fill a traditional top loader is much greater than the amount of energy it takes to run a water-efficient HE top loader for hours. Dishwashers are the same.

Ditto on the recommendation to look at Speed Queen.

Alex

• Jane J
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the input. I am less concerned about the money issue
    than the resource usage. But mostly I needed a washing a machine that fit into the space allotted in my 1977 home and preferably one that actually cleaned the clothing WITHOUT shredding them. My Cabrio does not clean well but it does shred.

I'll look into the Speed Queen

• deeageaux
    10 years ago

I am less concerned about the money issue
    than the resource usage.

That is true for virtually every buyer of an HE washer.

People living paycheck to paycheck, those where a few buck really matter, don't buy HE washers.

Middle Class cheapskates probably don't want to a pay a premium for HE either.

• knot2fast
    10 years ago

You gotta love wholly unsupported sweeping generalizations and elitism in a laundry forum, of all places.

This post was edited by knot2fast on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 8:58

• Jane J
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well deeageaux, I already put out the money for and HE and any person who wants the blessed thing can have it free of charge. But I don't think a person living pay check to pay check can afford to have this monster shred their clothes. So maybe you know a Middle Class cheapskate to whom I can give it.

Really I live in a semi arid part of the country and was trying to be responsible but this machine just didn't work out and It was the only HE that fit in the constrains of my laundry area. All I'm asking for is a machine that actually cleans clothing without shredding them.

I didn't expect a diatribe concerning my motivation or social standing. What a treat.

• Stephanie Humecky
    8 years ago

I also have a Whirlpool Cabrio what a piece of junk. We all seem to have the same opinion. They do not clean clothing they destroy clothing. I've lost move things because of this darn machine. Just terrible. I also will donate my Cabrio to anyone who can afford it. How does it save energy when you have to wash everything twice? That's not efficient. Looking for an old fashioned washing machine I guess I'll start going to yard sales.

• mrsbevlong
    7 years ago

Well, I have a Maytag Bravos HE purchased on July 4, 2011. My old traditional Maytag had died and so I jumped onto the "save water" bandwagon. I simply despise this machine...torn sheets, and wrinkles that no amount of ironing can get rid of. It is ruining our good clothes. After five years of this piece of junk, I have had enough! I don't know if there is an old fashioned machine out there, but I'm going to start looking.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Speed Queen Top Loader is all that's really left as for old fashioned machines..

• sparky823
    7 years ago

Mrsbev, you can slow the spin down for good clothes and help with wrinkles. Do you wash sheets on the sheets or bulky cycle? Uses more water and different agitation.

• mrsbevlong
    7 years ago

Yes, I've followed the directions on the cycle guide that came with the machine. It isn't just the issue with the torn sheets; I have two dogs who shed and items go in with dog hair and come out of the wash with dog hair. Not a problem with the old machine. On the wrinkle control setting, clothes are slightly less wrinkled but still need to be ironed. I don't mind ironing clothes if only they looked better once they are ironed. Sorry to go on and on...just so frustrated.

• beaglenc
    7 years ago

I had somewhat the same problem with my Bosch FL. Clothes wrinkled badly, even on gentle spin, piling, twisted. ANd pet hair, sometimes I had to vacuum the drum out. Never a problem with the Kenmore old school TL it replaced. My speed Queen leaves pet hair too, not as bad, but very noticable in the dryer.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

I am a firm believer that loose debris like pet hair should be removed before washing, at least the majority of it. Shake it off or use a sticky lint roller. I knew someone once that all their clothes were covered in dog hair and their washer was covered in hair, so disgusting. surely its not good on a machine.

• ssheryljane
    5 years ago

Oh, where to begin my comment about HE washing machines. I have been washing clothes for 50 years and am well acquainted with how to operate one. I have never been so disappointed with a washing machine since I purchased my top of the line Maytag (HE) two years ago. And, yes, I have read the manual cover to cover. I have found that the machine run time greatly exceeds that of the old, simpler machines that actually fill with water. Consumer Report agrees. According to Consumer Report, "Both front and top load washers have longer wash cycles since they use less water." The clothes are barely covered with water and I always have to use the second rinse feature to get the clothes halfway clean. The drum frequently smells of mildew and I am now obliged to buy washing machine cleaner to keep the unit smelling fresh. I have never had to buy more laundry products in my life. I always purchase high quality, name-brand HE laundry products. Shoppers now are looking for scent granules and liquids to make their clothes smell better. Never has this been an issue before these machines hit the market. Check the shelves to see the many, many expensive HE products that are out there. This is a great boon for those who sell these products but the consumer is paying dearly for them. The clothes don't so much as float but grind in the low water. This is very hard on the fabric and clothes are greatly degraded by this action. With these machines, there is more "pilling" on many of the fabrics. If you buy inexpensive dish rags or towels, kiss them goodbye after a couple wash cycles. The items to be washed have to be arranged in a circular fashion in order not to block the holes in the bottom of the unit. If you have a bad back, this constant stooping to arrange items can becomes quite challenging and painful. I now buy more laundry products, degrade the items I wash in my HE machine, use far more electricity, have a washer drum that needs weekly cleaning, and wear a back brace to wash clothes that turn out to be halfway clean. Yikes! ssheryljane

• justcallmepool
    5 years ago
    I also have the cabrio and have lost many clothes and towels to it because of holes. I hate it. I have found setting it on high soiled setting helps. Lately the thing sounds like a jet plane during the spin cycle and I secretly pray it dies so DH lets us buy a new one.
    The matching dryer sucks too.
  • ci_lantro
    5 years ago

Find a used Whirlpool, Kenmore or Speed Queen top loader. Probably find one on Craigs List or at an estate sale for a hundred bucks more or less. Put the Maytag out on the curb. Problem fixed.

• ryburns26
    5 years ago

Speed Queen. No question.

• littlegreeny
    5 years ago

The 2018 Speed Queens are terrible at doing what they are supposed to do...Wash your clothes. Reviews from reputable organizations such as Consumer Reports give it a poor rating in terms of washing performance. If you can find a 2017 or older Speed Queen, they have good performance.

I'd look at the new commercial Maytag or Whirlpool top loading machines instead. They are very basic but provide good wash action.

• mrsbevlong
    5 years ago

I purchased a Speed Queen in May of 2016 shortly after my original post (rant) about my HE washer. So thankful that I did as it gets the job done. Thank you for the info about the current Speed Queens. I don't understand why they would want to "improve" something that already works.