Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Non HE Washing Machine

Posted by jdmj (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 1:01

Does anyone know of a quality NON HE washing machine?
I have had my Whirlpool Cabrio since Nov. 2011.
Tonight was the last time I will ever use this miserable machine.
I am so sick of its putting holes in my clothes. Tonight yet another sheet ruined by this Machine.

I know of at least 5 women who have HE machines and without
fail HATE them. Additionally while you may save on water, the machine runs for practically an hour. So we've switched from
water usage to electric usage.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Non HE Washing Machine

So we've switched from
water usage to electric usage

Not so. HE washers move much much less water which requires much much less electricity to move. It uses smaller motors pulling less watts.

Even though it cleans for a much longer amount of time it actually uses less electricity.

But I agree Whirlpool Cabrio sucks.

Not all HE are Cabrios.

In order for an HE system to work properly the drum needs to be horizontal. So as the clothes tumble they all get soaked and agitate against each other properly. The Europeans have known this for over 50 years.

But if you want a good non HE machine look at the Speed Queen threads in this forum.

o

As the previous poster said, Speed Queen makes a good non HE top loader. Another option would be to look through used appliance stores or keep an eye out for one in the paper. I have seen lots of used but in like new shape non HE washers for sale. I had a like new set that I regretfully gave to my parents because my husband thought a front loader looked cool. I hate that washer with every fiber of my being, for lots of reasons. He built a counter top above our set, so now I am forever stuck with a front loader. I know there are tons of people that love them, and it really is just personal preference. Every time I use my washer I mourn my old water hog top load set.

o

As deeageaux said: the amount of energy (= money) needed to heat gallons and gallons of hot water to fill a traditional top loader is much greater than the amount of energy it takes to run a water-efficient HE top loader for hours. Dishwashers are the same.

Ditto on the recommendation to look at Speed Queen.

Alex

o

Thanks for the input. I am less concerned about the money issue
than the resource usage. But mostly I needed a washing a machine that fit into the space allotted in my 1977 home and preferably one that actually cleaned the clothing WITHOUT shredding them. My Cabrio does not clean well but it does shred.

I'll look into the Speed Queen

o

I am less concerned about the money issue
than the resource usage.

That is true for virtually every buyer of an HE washer.

People living paycheck to paycheck, those where a few buck really matter, don't buy HE washers.

Middle Class cheapskates probably don't want to a pay a premium for HE either.

o

You gotta love wholly unsupported sweeping generalizations and elitism in a laundry forum, of all places.

This post was edited by knot2fast on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 8:58

o

Well deeageaux, I already put out the money for and HE and any person who wants the blessed thing can have it free of charge. But I don't think a person living pay check to pay check can afford to have this monster shred their clothes. So maybe you know a Middle Class cheapskate to whom I can give it.

Really I live in a semi arid part of the country and was trying to be responsible but this machine just didn't work out and It was the only HE that fit in the constrains of my laundry area. All I'm asking for is a machine that actually cleans clothing without shredding them.

I didn't expect a diatribe concerning my motivation or social standing. What a treat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here