Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where o where can my underwire be? (LG FL washer)

Posted by msk6261 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 1:01

I washed my bathing suit top (in a lingerie bag) in my LG Front Loading washer today. It came out missing ONE of the underwires!! there is a chance that there was an opening in the underwire casing on the suit which might have allowed it to wiggle out.

But....it is too big to fit through the little holes of the inside metal tub and it is no where to be seen. I checked the seals and even tried to take the back off to see if was floating around somewhere within the innards of the machine but I was unable to take off the top or back.

I am concerned that when this happened years ago, with a top loading machine, it poked a whole in the plastic tub. The resulting leak caused the need for getting the FL machine (and adjacent carpet) in the first place.

Right now, the washer seems to be working perfectly (no unusual noises or rubbing sounds) but I am worried that all it needs to do is get wedged someplace it should not be and the LG is a goner.

Anyone with an knowledge of the workings of these machines have any ideas???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where o where can my underwire be? (LG FL washer)

... and even tried to take the back off to see if was floating around somewhere within the innards of the machine but I was unable to take off the top or back.
Think about that. If the underwire could easily get out of the machine's tub, then so could the water and you'd have a flood every time you used the machine. :-)

Unfortunately, if the underwire was intact at the time the suit top was loaded into the tub, and it's gone upon finishing the load, then it logically can't be anywhere but out of the inner basket into the outer tub, and/or possibly headed toward the pump. But ... are you sure it was intact at the start?

o
RE: where o where can my underwire be? (LG FL washer)

My concern is that it is somewhere between the inner basket and the outer tub but did not use the correct terminology in my post. I am worried that it might pierce the outer tub as it did in my top loader years ago, "clog up the works" or puncture a seal in another way.

In wore the suit 3 days prior and the wire was in place but I did notice that it had momentarily poked through it's cloth casing. I adjusted it and made a mental note that the casing needed stitching (but i did not get around to it before I washed it).

I noticed that there was a slight rubbing/scraping sound during that load of all bathing suits but i thought it was due to something else in the contents. I have not heard it again in subsequent loads that I ran before i realize the wire was missing.

I do question however how the wire got out of the fine mesh lingerie bag. That has also happened before but it got stuck on the bag.

Arggg!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here