Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dryer venting problem...4 inch to 3 inch?

Posted by snewsie (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 0:56

Second floor condo. Purchased the unit with a small one piece washer/dryer (1.5 cu feet). I have just purchased full size Samsung stackable units with a 4 inch vent without even considering the difference! OUCH! We removed the old 3 inch accordion venting which is in the wall and then goes straight up to attic and then thru roof and replaced part of it with new 3 inch duct. The first problem we encountered is the dryer vent and wall vent are offset making the "fix" from the dryer to the wall vent look like an unsafe jumbled up mess of flexible duct and a reducer. This mess not only looks unsafe, it places the machines very far out from the wall! We found a periscope vent to possibly help with that issue. HOWEVER...after reading forums, I'm wondering if its even safe to run a full size dryer on 3 inch ductwork? It's only a weekend lake home, so I'm not using it daily, but need it to be safe. My other question is...is it possible that the walls will not accommodate a new 4 inch pipe? My husband says no. ----
A desperate wife wanting full size washer/dryer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dryer venting problem...4 inch to 3 inch?

That sharp S-curve caused by the offset is putting a considerable restriction on airflow. A periscope setup would be an improvement on that point.

o

" I'm wondering if its even safe to run a full size dryer on 3 inch ductwork?"

I have never seen 3" venting for a dryer, but that doesn't mean anything. Seems like it would restrict the air flow, thus taking longer to dry the laundry, just like a 4" one full of lint would. Since it is a vacation home, it might not make much difference.

I agree with @dadoes about that S-curve, too.

This post was edited by Cavimum on Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 14:54

o

Thank you! We ordered the periscope as we refused to use it with that crazy S curve. I'm still working on the other issues but I appreciate your feedback!

o

I had a long 25 ft. 4 inch duct on our dryer and had a lot of problems with it plugging up with lint. I took it out and used 6 inch furnace duct for most of the span with adapters from 4 inch to 6 inch at both ends.

o

By area of a 3 inch vent is 44% smaller than a 4 inch vent.

This means that using a 3 inch vent allows only slightly more than half the amount of recommended airflow required by your dryer.

This will damage your dryer and void your warranty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here