Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
snewsie_gw

Dryer venting problem...4 inch to 3 inch?

snewsie
10 years ago

Second floor condo. Purchased the unit with a small one piece washer/dryer (1.5 cu feet). I have just purchased full size Samsung stackable units with a 4 inch vent without even considering the difference! OUCH! We removed the old 3 inch accordion venting which is in the wall and then goes straight up to attic and then thru roof and replaced part of it with new 3 inch duct. The first problem we encountered is the dryer vent and wall vent are offset making the "fix" from the dryer to the wall vent look like an unsafe jumbled up mess of flexible duct and a reducer. This mess not only looks unsafe, it places the machines very far out from the wall! We found a periscope vent to possibly help with that issue. HOWEVER...after reading forums, I'm wondering if its even safe to run a full size dryer on 3 inch ductwork? It's only a weekend lake home, so I'm not using it daily, but need it to be safe. My other question is...is it possible that the walls will not accommodate a new 4 inch pipe? My husband says no. ----
A desperate wife wanting full size washer/dryer

Comments (6)