Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zeek27

LG washer shrinking clothes on cold! Please help!

Zeek27
11 years ago

I purchased a fancy LG WM3470HWA washer back in April, and after several months of denial, I finally came to the conclusion that my washer was shinking my clothes, to the point where they are not wearable, and I never, ever, dry them. I've been hang drying my clothes for years, because I do not like it when clothes shrink, and I've never had a problem like this with as washer.

I called LG, and whoever I spoke to was clueless, and told me to wash my cotton clothes on the cotton setting, which actually uses warm water. I've been using either the cold, or tap cold setting the entire time. I recently switched to the hand wash cycle on cold, because I read that sometimes the agitation from the washers could possibly be shrinking them. However, this has not helped.

I just read that the cold setting uses some warm water to help dissolve the detergent, and that I should use the tap cold cycle to avoid this. I've been using both cold, and the tap cold cycle, and was clueless as to what the difference was because there is nothing in the manual about it. I only found this information on some far corner of LG's awful website.

Does anyone know what the Coldwash (tm) special function is? All it says in the manual is that it saves energy. Well how is that different then just using cold water? I love how they advertise these special setting, yet give almost no information as to what they do.

After I called home depot, they sent out an LG repair man, who checked out my machine to find nothing wrong, and had never heard of cold water shrinking clothes. And, yes, we both checked the hook ups, several times, as did the home depot installer when it was hooked up.

My only options are to sell this thing at a loss, or try to call LG, but I'll I get on the phone are useless customer service representatives. Is it a high efficiency washer thing that is doing it? Were my old washers always stretching out my clothes so now this one isn't? Is it the tide HE detergent?

I'm beating my head against a wall after spending 1K on a fancy washer, and all I get is a machine that ruins maybe 2K worth of clothes.

Help!

Zeek

Comments (94)

• DM
    5 years ago

I made comments years ago about my LG washing machine shrinking my clothes (on delicate, cold) and following label instructions. continues to be a problem. I actually had a viscose shirt shrink over 4 inches in length and I sent this evidence (video of me washing it, measured before and after, and compared it as I had the same shirt in two colours). LG didn’t care and dismissed me. At this point I am stuck with a terrible machine that shrinks anything that isn’t cotton. I don’t really care if anyone believes this, or Wants to tell me I am washing things wrong (which happened last time I commented. I know I am not. I have years of evidence, ruined clothes, and its a mistake I won’t make again (buying am LG product), especiah given how dismissive the company had been. i also can’t logically understand how a “tap cold” delicate setting can shrink clothes but I assure you, it does. Commenting here so others have some validation.. these machines shrink things and i do not recommend!!.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

DM, and HU-166257139,

Check the supply hoses on your machines. It's surprising (or maybe not) how often the hot and cold hoses are connected in reverse. The hot and cold valves on the machine may be left/right opposite from the faucets at the wall, which is overlooked by whoever connects them during the installation.

My brother-in-law did that when he swapped-in granny's washer and dryer after she died. He mentioned to me that the washer was beeping whenever they ran a load (which the particular brand/model involved does that if it senses the wrong incoming temperature for the selection). They thought it was doing that to let them know to add detergent and softener, LOL.

Other posters in other discussions here in the past had that problem on installations by delivery services.

• Rolando Z
    5 years ago

In all my years, I've never seen such a subpar product! It doesn't even appear that we can go ONE Week without a complaint about LG. Pathetic!

• DM
    5 years ago

Thanis Dadoes yes we checked that, a plumber checked that, service man has been from LG. It’s not the hoses. It really is baffling. i Have come to accept I can only wash cottons or take the risk Of shrinkage. Never again lol

• superstarsandra
    4 years ago

LG washer shrinking all my expensive sweaters. Thank you to all your posts. The knowers, believers, and the people who think you can't operate a washing machine. Really!? My LG washing machine that was 10 years old washed all my Merino wool sweaters on delicate no problem. Suddenly a new LG washing machine has slowly shrunk most of them. Is this a human error, or a manufactures error. And truly, because I am a tall woman (who has purchased and worn many mens clothes over the years), mens clothing doesn't shrink like women's. Beautiful 100% merino wool men's sweater in washer and dryer no problem. Almost 90% of my clothes don't make it to dryer if I don't want them wrecked or shrunk too expensive. This is obviously in my opinion and clothing manufacture issue, but firstly an appliance manufacturing problem. Shame on you LG for not taking care of it. I'm phoning my builder, and appliance store as soon as I'm done this post to tell them to take this LG washer and get me a brand that knows how to wash delicates/wool properly! Just went to store today to see how much my sweater shrunk from Aritzia... picture speaks loudly :( I don't need a crop top sweater in this Canadian climate!

• Kellie Hodge
    4 years ago

Disappointed to report exactly the same thing happened with me. I was second-guessing myself. thid Machine has ruined hundreds of dollars‘ worth of sweaters. All cold wash, low or no spin, delicates setting.

• Rachel Maxim
    3 years ago

Has anyone gotten anywhere with LG? I found this "thread" (haha) a little late. Just got an LG washer and dryer about 4 months ago and dealing with shrinkage ever since, in cotton clothing and also blends. Never had this issue with these clothes until this new washer/dryer. I am in my forties, and when my pants get shorter, I know something is wrong.

• DM
    3 years ago

They “gaslighted“ me when I complained a few years ago. Even though I sent proof (had two identical shirts and washed one on cold l

delicate, no dryer) and the washed shirt shrank at least 2 inches in length. I still use the machine and it wrecks clothes regularly. Can’t wait to get rid of it

• DM
    3 years ago

By gaslighted I mean they made it clear that there was something wrong with me or my methods and it could not possibly be the machine

• dadoes
    3 years ago

Has anyone tried turning off the hot water supply faucet when washing items of concern? The machine may throw a fault code if it wants to top-off the fill level via the hot water supply or or can't get the mixed input temperature it wants, but turning off the hot tap is something to try.

• DM
    3 years ago

I have tried with cold and “tap cold” which is not supposed to add any water and still a problem for me. But a good suggestion to try! My feeling is there could be some strange agitation of some kind but it is honestly so odd how this machine sheunks clothes. I have also had it sort of shrink certain parts of my clothing and not other part (like the ribboned seam on a part of shorts) so the fabric was all rucked up

• dadoes
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

That sounds more like a problem with the seam on the shorts being of different material than the rest of the garment.

I know you said you don't always do so, but for people who wash in cold water but machine dry ... keep in mind that dryer temps typically range between 125°F and 135°F on low and 155°F to 165°F on the high setting.

• enduring
    3 years ago

Te dryer always shrinks my husbands 100% flannel work shirts. I wash in 140f and hang dry with very minimal shrinkage on the first wash. If I forget, and the shirt gets into the dryer, then it's toast.

Try washing something expendable in hot water, but hang dry and see what the results are.

• DM
    3 years ago

thanis! I hang dry 90 percent of my clothes.!and have had this wretched machine for 5 years. I have come to expect it will randomly ruin a percentage of what I own. Sad but true

• enduring
    3 years ago

@DM so sorry, how can a company design a machine that damages clothing. I have never had an LG and never plan to.

• DM
    3 years ago

Honestly I have no idea!! the only validation I have is that some other people here experience the same thing. not that I wish that on anyone, but the company basically told me they didn’t believe me and would not do anything

• monicakm_gw
    3 years ago

How does a washer shrink clothes if they're washed in the appropriate water temp or cold water? I believe all of you, I just don't know how the machine shrinks the clothes.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

These machines of complaint, the users say that some (too much) hot or warm water is being added to the fill on a cold or tap-cold setting. ATC may add some warm (or hot if it's badly designed) on Cold to maintain the target temperature (typically 60°F to 68°F) ... but shouldn't on Tap-Cold.

I didn't review all of the post history above in detail but on a quick scan I didn't notice that anyone measured and reported what is the cold temp in their machine after fill is complete to confirm if it is higher than reasonable.

Complaints related to wool garments ... at least one reported incident involved the Normal cycle. Wool is prone to shrinking just from mechanical action. Even a designated Delicate cycle may be too much agitation/tumbling on some machines. Designated Wool or Handwash cycles on frontloaders typically run very little tumbling with periods of soaking/no tumbling. A common proscribed washing method for toploaders years ago was to fill the machine with warm, cool, or cold water. Submerge the garment(s) (or wool blanket), agitate for 1 minute then stop the machine and soak for a while. Advance the timer to drain/spin. Fill for rinse with the same temperature, agitate no more than 1 minute, drain/spin. Dry the item(s) flat and block them to the original size/shape if necessary.

• DM
    3 years ago

I know it’s kind of unreal. This is an example of a shirt made of a viscose material I washed as per instructions. I videoed myself putting the black in the wash brand new and identical in size to the pink. The shirts were the same just different colours. Tags on. I washed the black on delicate tap cold. Pink was unwashed as a comparison. no dryer. See the shrinkage! I sent this with the video "proof" of me putting it in in the wash (this was 4 years ago) and settings used and they didn’t care. LG would not try to explain it, and I agree mysterious but I am stuck with the problem as the customer

it isn’t this dramatic with all my clothes but it does shrink things to the point of ruin regularly.

i hope to buy a new machine soon. Would feel bad selling this second hand however! unless you want to wash only towels in it haha

• monicakm_gw
    3 years ago

dadoes, I've had very little wool fabrics in the house in 40 years (can only think of 2 sweaters) but that's basically how I washed them and dried them.

• Merissa Piché
    3 years ago

I washed a wool coat on the wool cycle which automatically sets the water to warm and my wool coat shrunk :( didn't used to have this problem with my front load LG but now I have the issue with my front load Samsung.

• Ramesh Wood
    3 years ago

Has anyone any further knowledge on this issue.

we have just bought an new lg front loader .

we have had a front loader for years worh cold wash setting and no issues.

now this brand new lg machine is clothes

• DM
    3 years ago

Never solved for me I am afraid. I have learned that clothing that is delicate in any way tends to fair badly (made of viscose or other delicate polyester etc). My kids cotton clothes my jeans etc do ok but for me I am wary everytime I wash

• Rachel Maxim
    3 years ago

We never found a solution. I try to wash most clothing on delicate setting but overall things continue to shrink and pill, and become more and more tattered. Never ever buying LG w/d again. I try to warn others not to buy.

• HU-410414692
    3 years ago

I just came across this:

While looking for the difference between "cold" and "tap cold" I found:

1. What is cold wash on LG washer?

ColdWash™ Technology uses cold water and enhanced washing motions to penetrate deep into fabrics, giving you the cleaning performance of warm water with the energy savings of cold water. LG Electronics Canada Inc. - LG ColdWash™ Technology - The ...

2. The “tap cold” setting uses cold water as it comes out of the tap. In cold climates, or in places where your cold water supply is deeply buried, this could be 50F or colder.

The “cold” setting mixes in hot water to reach a standard temperature. Different washer brands mix to different temperatures, I’ve seen references of from 70F to 83F. (Quora)

3.. At what temperature does wool shrink? Between 75 - 80° F.

Solvent temperature should be between 75 - 80° F. Higher temperatures may cause the solvent to release moisture which contributes to shrinkage. Do not put any wet spotted garments in a soft wool load. Soft wools should be drycleaned for no more than 5 minutes.

Shrinkage In Wool - National Cleaners Association SOLVED: How do I wash wool? - Patagonia Sweater - iFixit

• Rachel Maxim
    3 years ago

Interesting about the cold water setting using hot water in colder climates. I'm in California in mild climate, and have shrinkage year round, even in summer.

• Diane Miller
    3 years ago

We just bought an LG front loader after having an LG top load for 10 years. No issues with the TL, except that it didn't clean really dirty stuff that well (mostly hiking and yard work stuff). Our new FL (WM4000) cleans clothes MUCH better, but everything comes out hot. Why are clothes so hot after what is supposed to be a cold rinse? Does the high speed spin heat them up? I can't figure it out. Hoses are correctly attached. I use various settings, like normal, bedding, bright whites, heavy duty, and it says on the front panel that all loads are cold rinse, but this stuff is hot coming out at the end.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

@Diane Miller,

Pause the cycle and check the temperature of the items immediately after the final rinse drains, before the spin gets going.

• Diane Miller
    3 years ago

FINALLY figured it out! I started a load and then felt the water hoses. Whoever did our plumbing put the blue knob on the hot line, and the red knob on the cold line! A plumber told us a couple years ago that our hoses were switched, but didn't say the actual faucet knobs were wrong! We thought we'd accidentally hooked our previous washer up wrong, and he just switched them for us. At some point we'll switch those knobs, but in the meantime, and my laundry is nice and cool at the end now. Amazing, how that works. I'm so glad it wasn't a problem with this washer, because we really like it so far.

• dadoes
    3 years ago

That's what I suspect in the majority of these "hot clothes on cold temp" situations. People always insist that the hoses are correct when questioned ... but I expect they're not directly testing it by 1) feeling the hoses during operation or 2) disconnecting them from the machine and running water into a bucket.

• centrd
    3 years ago

My new Samsung does the exact same thing. It shrinks on cold. I HATE that machine more than any appliance I've ever had. Other than maybe the matching dryer that wrinkles everything to the extreme, turning sheets and duvets into tightly wadded up burritos. I don't understand how a company can design such bad machines or why so many people rate them so highly. And their customer service is a joke. I'm not buying another item made by Samsung as long as I live. I know I sound extreme, but I use these machines almost daily and it's beyond frustrating to deal with such terrible all-around performance.

• enduring
    3 years ago

@centrd Have you checked the hot water supply in your house, that indeed it is hot water? Is the hot water hose from the machine actually hooked to hot water? As Dadoes says above should be used as a guide to problem solve your situation.

• HU-684124520
    3 years ago

I am experiencing the EXACT same thing! And cannot find a solution anywhere. I’m getting so frustrated because my clothes are shrinking. Did you ever find an answer???

• Ben Asaykwee
    3 years ago

I'm using cold water only... and delicate cycle.. on T--SHIRTS mind you!!!! and some of these are shirts I've had for 10 years washing them over and over and over and hang drying them.. enver a problem.. now in the past month most of them are too small now to wear. Is it a front-loader thing?

• enduring
    3 years ago

No its not a front loader thing. I have a Miele front loader and I can wash anything in my machine. I was my husbands flannel shirts in 140*f water and hang to dry, and now shrinkage, though maybe the first wash there might have been minimal shrinkage like anything washed the first time. But the sleeves are still long enough and thats great. BUT if I put them in the dryer, they will shrink. I have know idea why everyones clothing is shrinking, because mine doesn't. I have washed wool, silk, cottons without issue on the proper cycles (wool, delicate, hand wash, etc) and water temps with my Miele.

• Sharon Donnell
    2 years ago

Im going through the exact same thing. My settings is on cold when washing and still my clothes shrink!! M is a LG also

• dadoes
    2 years ago

I wash all my clothes --- button-down shirts (cotton and synthetic and cotton/synthetic blends), casual/cargo shorts, jeans, briefs -- at 110°F to 122°F. Nothing shrinks. Sheets go at 122°F or 133°F. Blankets and quilts 122°F. Kitchen towels, bath towels, socks at 133°F or 140°F. I don't have anything wool or silk. The only items I ever wash in cold, or more likely cool, are some silk-screened cotton collectible t-shirts ... which I rarely wear.

• centrd
    2 years ago

@enduring Yes, thank you for the suggestion. I did check the hose after reading that mentioned here and yes, my hoses are hooked up correctly.

Never had this problem with my GE Monogram washer and dryer. Nor any machines prior to those.

Some of the other issues I experience with this set is the soap drawer face detaches. Every time I pull it out, the front comes off. It has since the very beginning. I've done everything to try to fasten it more securely but it doesn't matter, it always comes off. As for drying, it doesn't matter what dryer settings I use, it's always the same, too hot, but doesn't dry long enough so I end up with my clothes damp. And there's no way to override that and extend the drying time because its sensors decide when the clothes are dry, even if they aren't. So I now dry absolutely everything on delicate at the lowest heat setting but choose "more dry" and it's the best I can do to not shrink my clothes. I just hang the things that aren't totally dry up to finish. Oh and now my dryer is making a banging noise. I haven't had them that long, but it sounds like it's probably going to break down. These are the most frustrating appliances I've ever had and I'm sorry I wasted the money.

• Nancy O'Connor
    2 years ago

Just came across this post. My family/ friends think I’m crazy. All my shirts & blouses are shrinking. I have a small front load Electrolux. Also use laundromat machines for large loads. My clothes are shrinking in both. I wash all my tops in cold delicate cycle. Only sheets & towels go in the dryer. Everything else air dries. I tend to be heavy handed with detergent…..I’ve read that’s not good. As far as the big laundromat machines, I suspect that the high speed spin is too intense. I’m stuck with clothes that look as if I bought them in the petite section. Very frustrating!!!

• penny g
    2 years ago

Well, this should come as no surprise but I've recently learned that numerous appliance repairmen around here will not work on Samsung or LG appliances. In fact, they state it right in their phone message before telling you to leave a message (but don't bother if it's an LG or Samsung). These appliances are widely known to be garbage and you'd think appliance repairmen would be happy about the extra work. But apparently not. I was also told by my repairman that LG doesn't even carry replacement parts more than two years old. I guess they just want you to buy new machines? It's a disgusting business practice. Appliances used to last, and they still know how to build them to last, they just choose to rip us off instead.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

I repaired my sister's 10-year-old Samsung dryer a few weeks ago. I had no trouble finding the needed part. It was/is available at numerous online sources.

• penny g
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@dedoes. I said HE said, "LG".

• dadoes
    2 years ago

"Penny G: ... I've recently learned that numerous appliance repairmen around here will not work on Samsung or LG appliances."

• lydiatheys
    2 years ago

Interesting to see that this thread still is alive! Our water is connected properly. No question about it. I did discover my problem: Most washers no longer have a basic "tap water cold" setting. They feed some hot in initially to bring the cold wash temperature up a bit. The LG has been great otherwise, and the front-loading model is so much more energy efficient and easier on the clothes from a wear ad tear POV. But my next washer, I will check for a tap-water cold or similar wash setting. When your washer starts up, try opening the detergent drawer and sticking your fingers in the water flow. At some point, you will feel warm, even on cold water wash, Opposite of what I want!

• penny g
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@dadoes And? That is true. It's stated in their opening phone messages. Also true is that a repairman told me LG doesn't keep parts long-term for their machines. You can take it up with him if you don't believe him. But perhaps you should try to read more carefully?

• penny g
    2 years ago

@dadoes The point is, many appliance repairmen hate Samsung & LG. IN fact, one repairman's voice message here says, "we WILL work on Samsung appliances, but NOT their washers and dryers". All you have to do is call around rather than immediately question my honesty. I don't just randomly hate my Samsung Washer and Dryer without reason. I paid good money for it. I wanted to love it. smh.

• penny g
    2 years ago

@HU-410414692 Thanks so much for explaining why clothing and household items I've washed for years in cold, now shrink in Samsung's version of "cold". I've ruined too many loved items, things I've ALWAYS machine-washed. So thinking it must have been my error, and I'd forgotten to change the temp setting, I'd try it again. After several such shrinkage mishaps, I knew for certain I was using the cold setting. So I no longer wash anything shrinkable in my machine, even on delicate. I live in Southern California on a raised foundation house. The water doesn't get that cold in the first place, so if this machine adds warm water, as you explained, then I'm screwed for washing wools. I suppose I could wash on delicate in cold on very cold days in winter only and keep my fingers crossed. But it's not worth the risk. And that doesn't happen that often anyway.

This shrinkage was the first thing I called Samsung about when I first bought the set. Samsung sent out a repairman because it was under warranty and he couldn't find anything wrong. (roll eyes). The company line was deny, deny, deny. I was so concerned about the machine destroying my things that I forgot to ask about the front coming off every time I opened the detergent drawer. I solved that issue by never using liquids At this point, the set is barely functioning as a washer and dryer for me. I might as well beat my clothes on rocks and dry them on tree branches. If I had the money for a new set, I'd set these on fire, I hate them that much. And I couldn't in good faith sell them to anyone else. Anyone considering buying Samsung: Please reconsider. You'll regret it. Samsung doesn't deserve your business. In fact, there are many other reviews here like mine. Here's just one of many: https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2411936/don-t-buy-a-samsung-washer-or-dryer#n=247

• dadoes
    2 years ago

The only difficulty with the Samsung dryer repair I did is that the thermal fuse is on back of the blower housing which requires removing the drum for access ... vs. some designs that have the thermal fuse and thermistor on front of the blower housing which is accessible when the dryer front panel is removed without pulling the drum.

I also repaired the matching Samsung washer in 2016. The 2011 set at 5 years old was given to her by friends. The washer had failed due to bad usage habits. The drum spider broke during spin, too much cold water and gross overdosing of fabric softener corroded and softened it to greasy gravel. The careening drum tore a gash in front of the outer tub. The friends were quoted $800 for repair so they bought new. All parts were easily available (total $262) and it was no more difficult to handle than any other frontloader.

I have no repair experience with LG although I once sourced an LG pump as a substitute for a Whirlpool pump ... Whirlpool doesn't handle the pump as a separate item on the model of question, requires replacement of the entire sump assembly with pump. The LG pump fit the sump mount, required a change on the wire connector plug. That was in Nov 2012, it's still working.

Best of luck to you on finding a laundry pair that makes you happy. :-)

• dadoes
    2 years ago

@penny g

I now have a first-hand LG service reference (meaning I am onsite) with a friend who bought a 2012 LG refrigerator via Facebook Marketplace several days ago upon moving to a house from an apartment. Immediately upon connecting to power, it runs but doesn't cool. Either a) the compressor is bad internally and not pumping refrigerant (freon) or b) all the refrigerant has leaked out. Someone worked on it previously per evidence of a tap valve on one of the compressor lines and those service taps may leak. He contacted LG service online either Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon. Later Sunday received confirmation of the contact. Monday received a confirmation of a service tech coming the next day Tuesday (today. Tuesday morning confirmation of between 1p and 5p. Tech arrived at 2:30p on Tuesday ..... Sunday --> Tuesday timeframe. The tech advised that LG extended the warranty to 10 years due to known problems with the compressor but unfortunately can't do the repair at no cost because 1) it applies only to the original owner with sales receipt in-hand, 2) some other service had already done a repair evidenced by a refrigerant tap valve on one of the compressor lines. He said they would do it at full cost (which means the required parts for a 9yo unit are available) but that the cost is too high to justify.

• marydesignideas
    2 years ago

I just started using a Samsung front loading washer and dryer the past couple months and have ruined almost everything 😔 I just recently figured out I need to turn off the hot water at the water supply connection when I'm washing my clothes, which I line dry. The dryer is still ruining clothes though. My 4 month old baby is now wearing 12 month old clothing because of the shrinking! But if I wash/dry his clothes in my top load ge he washer/whirlpool dryer ONLY and not in the samsung ever, he wears his 3-6 month clothes. I dry his clothes on delicate/extra low and wash on cold. The samsung doesn't have a tap cold option. I wash and dry on the same settings with my ge/whirlpool combo. All his clothes look terrible coming out of the samsung dryer too. Faded, wrinkly, scratchy, the baby blankets have this accordion wrinkle pattern on the edges. Everything looks terrible. I even extra rinse twice in both machines. I ruined my black yoga pants in the samsung washer after 2 ...They look faded black with white fibers and very old. They were true black and smooth before. It seems like the washer is chewing up the material.