Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HE for Non-HE machine?

Posted by patann (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 23:58

I know this has been discussed in the past -- I did a search on about 10 pages and nothing came up so I would like to ask again, please: What are the advantages of using an HE detergent in a non-HE machine?

Also, have you personally found that liquid detergents get out oil and grease stains better than powder detergents, and that powder detergents do a better job of getting our dirt stains, as stated on some laundry site a few years ago?

Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HE for Non-HE machine?

Less suds, better rinsing.

o

What George said.

o

It can be particularly helpful in soft water where it's difficult to balance good cleaning with a suds level that achieves thorough rinses.
As a clinical massage therapist, I obviously deal with oily stains often, and have found that powders work best. Especially those with high sodium carbonate levels. I have also found that detergents with several enzymes in their formulations work best at removing a variety of soils.
I have to admit, I have always preferred powders, especially for heavily soiled stuff and whites. For colours, I tend to look for powders or liquids that don't include optical brighteners or bleaches in the formula.

o

The only benefit IMO to using HE detergent in a non-HE machine is regards to the sudsing issue.

HE formulas are designed for low-water machines so have a lower concentration of water-softening agents at a given dosage level. A larger dose of HE detergent typically is needed (particularly for maximum-fill loads) in non-HE machines to compensate for the larger volume of water involved.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here