Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White blanket fiasco

Posted by angiepangie (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 29, 13 at 23:21

I saw a beautiful, knitted, ribbed, cotton white blanket for $2 at the thrift store. It had a strange yellow tint to the bottom half. It is clearly an older blanket but VERY high quality. I fell in love with it and took it home to work on that yellow.

Thinking it was just yellow from age, I soaked in a triple dose of white brite for three hours, washed then rinsed. Stain was reduced but still there. Soaked in one cup of bleach for 15 minutes- scared to do more, blanket is slightly fragile. Washed and rinsed, the stain is much lightened and not noticable unless you point it out! Yay!

Ran it through the dryer. It reeks of bleach. so, I soaked in Biz for 5 hours, washed and rinsed with heavy dose of fabric softener. It still reeks.

It is currently soaking in washer with cup of vinegar and a cup of baking soda.

I am frustrated because I got the yellow (which may have been urine) out of it only to be replaced by this unrelenting bleach smell.

The poor blanket has been washed at least 6 times since I got it yesterday and I don't think it can take much more.

If any one has any suggestions on how to further reduce the smell, please let me know. (Yes, I have learned to switch to oxy bleach for the future! )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White blanket fiasco

Hi. I have some experience with whitening thrift store finds, and here are my suggestions. One, if bleach did not take it out, then it is not an organic stain. Bleach is about the harshest treatment you can give to any fabric. The other pre- soaks probably helped, but you can let nature take care of it for you. If you are able, get the blanket completely wet, like dripping. Lay it out in the grass, in full sunshine. You will not believe how well the sun bleaches. To have full effect, you need to keep it as wet as possible, and should be in green grass. Flip it over, if necessary, and repeat. It could possibly take days to completely remove it. Cotton bleaches in the sun very well. The sun and green grass combination should also neutralize the bleach smell. If you can smell bleach in fabric, then it is not rinsed completely away. Un-rinsed bleach will continue to eat away at fabric, even after it is dry. Tumble drying stained fabric is the best way to set a stain permanently, for future reference. Based on everything you have put it through, if the sun cannot remove the yellowing, then I think it is probably a permanent stain. Hope this helps!

o
RE: White blanket fiasco

The vinegar should rid the blanket of the smell. LCB is alkaline, while vinegar is a mild acid and therefore neutralises the bleach. While I seldom use LCB anymore, when I do I always put a dose of vinegar in my softener dispenser.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here