Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angiepangie_gw

White blanket fiasco

angiepangie
10 years ago

I saw a beautiful, knitted, ribbed, cotton white blanket for $2 at the thrift store. It had a strange yellow tint to the bottom half. It is clearly an older blanket but VERY high quality. I fell in love with it and took it home to work on that yellow.

Thinking it was just yellow from age, I soaked in a triple dose of white brite for three hours, washed then rinsed. Stain was reduced but still there. Soaked in one cup of bleach for 15 minutes- scared to do more, blanket is slightly fragile. Washed and rinsed, the stain is much lightened and not noticable unless you point it out! Yay!

Ran it through the dryer. It reeks of bleach. so, I soaked in Biz for 5 hours, washed and rinsed with heavy dose of fabric softener. It still reeks.

It is currently soaking in washer with cup of vinegar and a cup of baking soda.

I am frustrated because I got the yellow (which may have been urine) out of it only to be replaced by this unrelenting bleach smell.

The poor blanket has been washed at least 6 times since I got it yesterday and I don't think it can take much more.

If any one has any suggestions on how to further reduce the smell, please let me know. (Yes, I have learned to switch to oxy bleach for the future! )

Comments (2)