Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please recommend a washer/dryer

Posted by ryanhouse (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 25, 10 at 22:58

We are building a new, very small second floor laundry room and need a stackable washer and dryer. We would like:

- to conserve water and electricity (gas not an option).
- clean clothes.
- machines to be trouble-free and last a long time.
- to avoid shaking our 150 year old house down.

We would prefer something made in the U.S. (and give special preference to Whirlpool, since we are in Michigan). We don't need a lot of gimmicks.

Our appliance store recommended the Whirlpool Duet 9470. They said it has a good motor. This seems awfully expensive, though, and awfully fancy (I have no idea why we would even want steam).

What are your thoughts/suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please recommend a washer/dryer

You will be hard pressed, IMHO, to find a US made (I don't think there are any besides speedqueen) washer/dryer combo that is any kind of quality.

Quality costs money. I know you said American, but Miele and Bosch are really the only reliable game in town for stackable washer/dryers. They sell many more of them than any "US" company will.

Siemens, which owns Bosch, is also a good brand and considered the premium brand when companred to Bosch. Siems pulled out of the US market a year back and is pushing Bosch only in this country. There are fantastic deals on brand new Siemens units on e-bay and in clearance outlets.

Siemens line in the US is called the Ultrastack. I own the condensor dryer with a Bosch was24460uc washer. They are very well built units.

The dryer (condensor or vented) is on e-bay now for $349. This was almost a $1000 when it was sold in Best Buy. It is a fantastic deal: http://cgi.ebay.com/Siemens-Bosch-ultraStack-WT36V100US-24-Electric-Dryer-/380245985315?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_Dryers&hash=item58886d4823

Here is a Bosch Axxis washer (one model down from the one I own) with a starting bid of $399 (originally $1000 washer): http://cgi.ebay.com/24-Bosch-Axxis-Compact-Washing-Machine-White-WFL2060UC-/250654902330?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Washing_Machines&hash=item3a5c32483a

Here is an auction format Bosch was24460uc washer that is brand new (but missing a front cover which you can get from Bosch parts for $20) currently bid up to $100. This washer is sold at sears and other places for around $1400 now. http://cgi.ebay.com/BOSCH-WAS24460UC-AXXIS-WASHER-/230491765954?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Washing_Machines&hash=item35aa613cc2

Here is a matching Bosch pair WAS24460UC / WTE86300US for $1199. http://cgi.ebay.com/Bosch-Axxis-Series-24-Front-Load-Washer-dryer-/380245611256?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58886792f8

I highly suggest you look at these and forget the US brands.

o

Thanks for your suggestions, moon1234. The funny thing is that when we went back to the appliance store yesterday and I told him what we were looking for, he recommended the Bosch -- and it turns out they are in fact made in the US! So it turns out you can find a US made, high quality product, the choice being a US brand made abroad, or a foreign brand made domestically....

o

I have a Duet washer and dryer that I purchased 5 years ago. The motor in the washer died. It receives normal use (just two of us now that the kids are grown). We opted to put a new motor in it because I would rather purchase a new set when our new house is constructed. The motor has been redesigned. Maybe it is better...I don't know.

Would I purchase another Duet set? No.

Sandy

o

My Maytag Bravos set meets these criteria:

- to conserve water and electricity.
- clean clothes.
- to avoid shaking our 150 year old house down.

The only reason I did not include "machines to be trouble-free and last a long time" is because I've only owned my set a little over 2 years. However, they have been trouble-free.

I have read many reviews from people who have these on upper stories of houses and say there is no vibration. My washer also gives no vibration.

As with any HE washer today, if you want true hot water (140 degrees minimum), you'll need to get the model with the internal watwer heater. HTH

o

Thank you all for your input. I ordered a Bosch (my husband wanted the Duets, but I wanted to save $250), and will have to report back once it's installed and in use.

Mara 2008, those Maytag Bravos sound great, but we had to go with a stackable unit since we are getting the world's smallest laundry room.

o

Mara 2008, those Maytag Bravos sound great, but we had to go with a stackable unit since we are getting the world's smallest laundry room.

My sympathies are with you -- my laundry room is small, too. Thankfully, I do have room for my washer and dryer (the laundry room is longer than wide, so they face each other from each end), some shelves on the wall beside the washer, bicycle hooks on the long walls for clothes I hang up as I unload the dryer (they work great; hold a lot of clothes), and a tension rod over the dryer for clothes I hang up to dry. I also store hangers there.

I've heard good things about Bosch. Here's hoping they live long and prosper. ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here