Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need new W/D

Posted by firsttimebldr (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 9, 13 at 21:27

Replacing 25 year old Whirlpools (all good years). Is there a washer that only has 2-3 wash cycles? Something simple without all the bells and whistles. Not digital. Thanks for any and all input. Betsy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need new W/D

I've read here that certain Speed Queen models (if not all) are purely electro-mechanical machines. Others here know more about this brand than me.

o

Speed Queen is probably the only currently available washer likely to give you another 25 years of service. All of the current Speed Queen top loading washers are electro-mechanical. No computer board. Good solid washer. I own one.

I can't say about the Speed Queen front loading washers.

o

firsttimebldr: "Replacing 25 year old Whirlpools (all good years). Is there a washer that only has 2-3 wash cycles? Something simple without all the bells and whistles. Not digital."

If you have had 25 good years (so far) from the washer and the dryer, is only the washer failing? Is only the dryer failing? Are they both failing at once?

If only one of them is failing, why replace both?

o

Thanks for asking. Selling house and leaving W/D.

o

We bought the Speed Queen top load washer and dryer a little over a year ago. I am extremely happy with them. It cleans quickly and beautifully, rinses all the detergent out, and never stinks.

I had front load washers the prior 15 years (Maytag and Whirlpool). We rebuilt the Whirlpool front loader because it was German made and works for large throw rugs and quilts. Other than that I hope to never have to use a front loader again for my main laundry.

No bells and whistles on the Speed Queens. They are simple, and solidly built. All mechanical and no computer boards.

o

I would love Speed Queen but not sure if I need such a pricey set. Any place to get a good deal?

o

Went to the part supply house yesterday to repair the door latch on our Kenmore 417.42042100 washer, a front-load model that, by reading past posts, has been a notorious service hound.

I told the parts guy that if the door latch didn't do the trick (which it fortunately did), we wanted to buy a reliable, US-made machine. He suggested either Speed Queen or Whirlpool top loaders with dials only. When I asked about efficiency and water/heating costs, he advised get one with a dial to adjust water level. He said no one comes in to buy parts for either of these machines.

I'm guessing we get about another year out of the Fridgemore. I'm also guessing that by year's end we have either a Speed Queen AWN432, or a Whirlpool WTW4850XQ.

o

As for the last post, that should have been Whirlpool WTW4800XQ. And we were quoted about $600 on the Speed Queen. The Whirlpool is $500 at Best Buy and Home Depot.

o

Sorry, yet another mistake. I grabbed the wrong bit of scrap paper. The SQ was quoted at about $800.

o

As for water heating costs, you can see the Energy Guide labels at speedqueen.com. My SQ AWN542 is rated to cost $29/YEAR using a gas water heater. It's $46/YEAR for an electric water heater.

I have a gas water heater. No amount of efficiency improvements at the cost of convenience and/or performance tradeoffs can save me more then about $2/month.

Water usage efficiency is a different story. Water is very precious in some areas and plentiful in others. It's not practical to transport water long distances for utility service, so you either live in a water-precious area or you don't.

Here is a link that might be useful: Speed Queen AWN542 Energy Guide (PDF)

o

The Speed Queen is worth every dime it costs. I've had top of the line Maytag and top of the line Whirlpool front loaders. Would never go back to either of those brands, nor a front load either.

o

Love my speed queen washer too. I will take it any day over a HE toploader... as for a good front loader, they rule! Love the sanitary cycles and high spin speeds

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here