Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
firsttimebldr

Need new W/D

firsttimebldr
10 years ago

Replacing 25 year old Whirlpools (all good years). Is there a washer that only has 2-3 wash cycles? Something simple without all the bells and whistles. Not digital. Thanks for any and all input. Betsy.

Comments (12)

• studio460
    10 years ago

I've read here that certain Speed Queen models (if not all) are purely electro-mechanical machines. Others here know more about this brand than me.

• knot2fast
    10 years ago

Speed Queen is probably the only currently available washer likely to give you another 25 years of service. All of the current Speed Queen top loading washers are electro-mechanical. No computer board. Good solid washer. I own one.

I can't say about the Speed Queen front loading washers.

• herring_maven
    10 years ago

firsttimebldr: "Replacing 25 year old Whirlpools (all good years). Is there a washer that only has 2-3 wash cycles? Something simple without all the bells and whistles. Not digital."

If you have had 25 good years (so far) from the washer and the dryer, is only the washer failing? Is only the dryer failing? Are they both failing at once?

If only one of them is failing, why replace both?

• firsttimebldr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for asking. Selling house and leaving W/D.

• sandy808
    10 years ago

We bought the Speed Queen top load washer and dryer a little over a year ago. I am extremely happy with them. It cleans quickly and beautifully, rinses all the detergent out, and never stinks.

I had front load washers the prior 15 years (Maytag and Whirlpool). We rebuilt the Whirlpool front loader because it was German made and works for large throw rugs and quilts. Other than that I hope to never have to use a front loader again for my main laundry.

No bells and whistles on the Speed Queens. They are simple, and solidly built. All mechanical and no computer boards.

• firsttimebldr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I would love Speed Queen but not sure if I need such a pricey set. Any place to get a good deal?

• Jrussell4
    10 years ago

Went to the part supply house yesterday to repair the door latch on our Kenmore 417.42042100 washer, a front-load model that, by reading past posts, has been a notorious service hound.

I told the parts guy that if the door latch didn't do the trick (which it fortunately did), we wanted to buy a reliable, US-made machine. He suggested either Speed Queen or Whirlpool top loaders with dials only. When I asked about efficiency and water/heating costs, he advised get one with a dial to adjust water level. He said no one comes in to buy parts for either of these machines.

I'm guessing we get about another year out of the Fridgemore. I'm also guessing that by year's end we have either a Speed Queen AWN432, or a Whirlpool WTW4850XQ.

• Jrussell4
    10 years ago

As for the last post, that should have been Whirlpool WTW4800XQ. And we were quoted about $600 on the Speed Queen. The Whirlpool is $500 at Best Buy and Home Depot.

• Jrussell4
    10 years ago

Sorry, yet another mistake. I grabbed the wrong bit of scrap paper. The SQ was quoted at about $800.

• knot2fast
    10 years ago

As for water heating costs, you can see the Energy Guide labels at speedqueen.com. My SQ AWN542 is rated to cost $29/YEAR using a gas water heater. It's $46/YEAR for an electric water heater.

I have a gas water heater. No amount of efficiency improvements at the cost of convenience and/or performance tradeoffs can save me more then about $2/month.

Water usage efficiency is a different story. Water is very precious in some areas and plentiful in others. It's not practical to transport water long distances for utility service, so you either live in a water-precious area or you don't.

Here is a link that might be useful: Speed Queen AWN542 Energy Guide (PDF)

• sandy808
    10 years ago

The Speed Queen is worth every dime it costs. I've had top of the line Maytag and top of the line Whirlpool front loaders. Would never go back to either of those brands, nor a front load either.

• gates1
    10 years ago

Love my speed queen washer too. I will take it any day over a HE toploader... as for a good front loader, they rule! Love the sanitary cycles and high spin speeds