Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are all laundry standpipe receptors "open?"

Posted by studio460 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 21:11

Well, we have the wall exposed to the laundry area's "wet" side. Since the "drain-burp" sound is most annoying when using a condenser dryer, I thought a "closed" laundry drain system would help to dampen the noise. Why are all laundry standpipe receptors of an "open" design?" Here's one receptor which still provides an air-gap:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are all laundry standpipe receptors "open?"

While attempting to research a "closed" laundry drain system (assuming such a system exists, or is even possible), I found this image of a "correct" laundry standpipe installation at Terry Love's site:

o

A member of Terry's forum, "cacher_chick," posted the following (which appears to have been quoted from yet another source):

"The waste from an automatic clothes washer shall discharge through an air break into a standpipe in accordance with Section 802.4 or into a laundry sink. The trap and fixture drain for an automatic clothes washer standpipe shall be a minimum of 2 inches (51 mm) in diameter. The automatic clothes washer fixture drain shall connect to a branch drain or drainage stack a minimum of 3 inches (76 mm) in diameter.

. . . (C) Clothes washers. 1. ‘Residential types.’ Residential−type clothes washers shall discharge into the sanitary drain system by means of an air−break. A.) A standpipe receptor may not extend more than 36 inches nor less than 18 inches above the centerline of the trap outlet. B.) A standpipe receptor shall terminate at least 26 inches but not more than 48 inches above the floor on which the clothes washer is located."

o

Notable details from the standpipe installation photo:

1. There is a sanitary 'T' (instead of a standard 'T') at the washer standpipe connection to the main vent. Apparently, some "professional" plumbers are unaware of this code-compliant connector.

2. There is a secondary vent attached to the washer standpipe drain, just prior to the sanitary 'T' at the main vent. Previous to seeing this photo, I was completely unaware of this requirement.

3. The laundry sink supplies are tapped to also supply the washer inlets using PEX (unfortunately, PEX is not accepted by our local codes).

This post was edited by studio460 on Sat, Jun 15, 13 at 21:32

o

Well, I actually posted this topic on Terry Love's forum (makes sense!).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here