Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dee42_gw

top load Fisher/Paykel dryer

dee42
12 years ago

I'm considering the top loading Fisher/Paykel clothes dryer with the reverse tumbling feature and wondering if anyone on the Forum has this dryer versus a front loading door.

If so, how do you find the drying cycles -- do the clothes tangle or do they dry without tangling??

The model is: DE62T27GW2. Thank you for any information you may have to share. Dee

Comments (7)

• tabteacher
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have a FP top load dryer that is almost 4 yrs old. Hate it. I am probably in the minority on this forum from what I've read. Mine is DG27CW1.
    My clothes don't tangle in the dryer. They do in the washer.

But I will tell you what I dislike about it. I can't reach the inside bottom of the dryer. You can't leave folded clothes on top. The lid can slam down on your arm. I don't have small children, but I can see it slamming down on little fingers & breking them. Measure carefully. We had cabinets above the washer/dryer. The lids are so big that they can't open all the way unless the washer dryer are pulled way out from the wall. Most of my clothes say dry on low heat. It is not unusual for a load to take 2-4 hrs to dry. It is hard to find a repairman & hard to get parts & expensive. I have had repairs 2 times in the last year. One my husband could fix & the other we had to get a repairmen & my dryer was out of commission for 3 weeks+. I have been married & doing laundry in my home for 39 yrs. This is the only time I was without a dryer for more than 2 days. The repairman found parts inside that were rusted.
    I know you didn't ask for all this, so please disregard if they aren't things you are interested in.

• tabteacher
    12 years ago

Here are other things I dislike. The lid locks. If you need to turn the dryer off before it turns itself off, you have to stand there & listen to these horrible sounds while it stops & unlocks the lid. There are actually 2 lids, The one you see & an inner lid. And the sounds are loud. And it is a slow process to unlock the lid.

• dee42
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you for the information on the top loading dryer -- buying new appliances these days is basically a crap shoot -- take what they have to offer, whether it is good or not.

• jwjensen356
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Dadoes, we love our top loader also. Purchased in 2007, no operational problems ever (had to fix a broken top lid however, did it with epoxy).

One question, it looks like F&P have discontinued top loading dryers, at least here in the U.S. Do you know why?

• dadoes
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

The topload dryer models were discontinued a couple/three-ish years ago. I don't have any specific details on why.

I've run across several mentions of broken lids on F&P washers and/or topload dryers. I've never had any trouble with that, one of my F&P washers is almost 17 years old. Always makes me curious as to how the lid damage happened in the various cases. The lids aren't under stress during use or operation of the machines.

I did some repairs on my dryer two years ago (at 9-1/2 years). Primarily, one of the heating elements had broken, the filter ring had some tears (2nd replacement of that) and there was some lint accumulation in the filter/exhaust housing. The 2nd replacement filter seems to be of a more robust material. I also took the opportunity to replace the drum bearing while I had it disassembled, although the bearing was only minimally worn and not causing any issues.

• jwjensen356
    7 years ago

I misspoke when I said earlier that I fixed the lid with epoxy. I used a thick version of CA superglue and then reinforced the repair area with silastic. The break was in the hinge area where it must have gotten stressed somehow. Been several years since the repair.