Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are Top Loading HE Washers Problematic?

Posted by jaxo (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 19:25

Are the top loading high efficiency washers such as Whirlpool Cabrio and other similar HE top loaders more problematic than a good front loader?

I see user reviews saying they tangle and knot up their clothes due to spinning the clothes horizontally vs the way a front loader tumbles the clothes vertically.
I also see owners saying their laundry loads frequently get unbalanced and you need to be very careful about how to load clothes to prevent this issue where as you can throw whatever you want into a front loader that will tolerate the chosen cycle and water temps and not have these issues.
Are they louder or quieter than a good front loader?

The main reason I'm looking at top loaders is because you can install them on either side of the dryer without loading and unloading conflicts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are Top Loading HE Washers Problematic?

Depends on who you talk to.

I have read a lot of people complain about top load HE washers.
Some love them.
Personally I would totally by a front loader over any HE top loader.
The clothes just don't move much at all in top load HE washers.
Watch them on Youtube.

I think there are a few manufactures that allow you to switch door position, I know Electrolux does for sure (on washer and dryer). Some allow only the dryer to change door position.

I would say noise levels are about the same.

o

I have an HE top loader. It spins at high speed a 1100 rpm's and we never end up with knotted clothes. As for loading the Top Loader, all you do is place the clothes in around the impeller. It's not hard or time consuming.

It's really user issues that cause problems, but there are better makes than others.

o

My experience with one was very poor. So much so I'd never buy one again. My experience with a front load washer though has been extremely positive.

o

I had two and had problems with both. Tangled clothes, constantly off balance, and problems with computer control board in the first one. I have not had a front loader due to space limitations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here