Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stir_fryi

Annoying features of new washers

In researching new machines -- traditional and HE top loaders -- several people complain about:

lid locks when in use -- Why???? Is the human race suddenly too dumb to know not to stick there hand in there when it is agitating? Do you know how many extra socks I find after the wash starts? Sometimes I like to see just how "delicate" the delicate cycle is by lifting the lid and looking.

Drains when you change the cycle -- Why would it do such a dumb thing?

Long cycles -- my Normal cycle on my 10 year old Maytag takes 30 minutes from start to finish. I have heard of these new machines taking an hour to finish one cycle.

Makes me sad I need a new washer (bad bearings).

Comments (17)

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Lid locking is because the mechanical design of these machines does not feature a spin-brake, and spin speeds are higher than machines in the past.

Adding forgotten items ... pressing the Pause button stops the action and unlocks the lid. Add the item(s), close the lid, press Start, the cycle resumes ... except don't leave it paused for minutes or the cycle in progress may be automatically drained and canceled.

Longer operational times ... reduced water useage requires more time for all the items in the load to be passed through the wash solution.

• dave1812
    9 years ago

who really cares if a washer takes 90 minutes to wash a load? how many loads do you do on the heaviest wash-day of your life?? We have NEVER, EVER had an issue with the length of wash cycles on our FL.

• mrb627
    9 years ago

Well, if the average family does 8 loads per week, that is 12 hours. I can remember having all the laundry done by lunchtime on Saturday morning. Not anymore.

MRB

• dave1812
    9 years ago

[posted by mistake]

This post was edited by dave1812 on Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 14:01

• dave1812
    9 years ago

that's stretching it a bit, mrb627. not only that buy a large FL holds so much stuff (think KINGSIZE comforter) that you don't NEED TO DO 8 LOADS--maybe 4, or 3.

• dave1812
    9 years ago

what happened to my edit?? I had corrected (and saved) "buy" to "but" in my previous post. oh well.

• emma
    9 years ago

I do almost as many loads of clothes as I did when my children were at home. You have to sort them, I never have a full tub, a little of this and a little of that.

• dave1812
    9 years ago

why can't you sort by: towels, whites, darks. If you don't have bleeding red items, I can't see why you have many different types of loads.

• emma
    9 years ago

I don't know why I bother to explain to you, but I will. I have white sheets, then I have white clothes which I can't wash in hot water or with bleach laundry soap like I do sheets. I have dark clothes and jeans which I can't wash together and I have towels. That is five loads. In the winter I have a lot of sweaters that I have to wash separately and different colors there. I can't wash sweaters and permanent press clothes together.

• mrb627
    9 years ago

Another annoying feature? TINTED GLASS! I mean, why bother?

MRB

• Cadyren
    9 years ago

Yea, it takes longer to wash, but my clothes are so dry that it takes less time to dry. I went from a Maytag top loader to a Bosch Nexxt Front loader 8 years ago & would never go back. I also have a "quick wash" setting that takes about 40 minutes. My old Maytag took 30-40 minutes on an extra large load also.

• emma
    9 years ago

It's amazing to me that I have the options on my cheap washing machine as you all do on your expensive ones. This is the first inexpensive washer I have bought and it has all that I need on it. I have the quick wash, the soak and and all the options I had on my expensive ones.

The door does not lock. I think that option is to protect small children who might open it and throw in the baby. LOL

• dave1812
    9 years ago

Like someone said there are quick wash cycles. We sometimes do a load in our FL in about 38 minutes.

Emma, I think you could have allowed the person whom I was addressing, to give THEIR take on why they need so many loads. :). Your comments were duly noted, nonetheless...

This post was edited by dave1812 on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 13:57

• emma
    9 years ago

I am sorry Dave, my post was right above yours so I thought you were addressing the comments to me. And I should not have put that first line in regardless, it was rude of me.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Sat, Jun 28, 14 at 20:06

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

"who really cares if a washer takes 90 minutes to wash a load?"

I care!! I can't count the times I've forgotten to do laundry and then have to throw a load in right before bed so DH has clean socks for the morning. My SpeedQueen only takes 30 minutes and that means I can wash a load and toss them into the dryer and still get to bed at a decent hour. I can't imagine having to wait 90 minutes to complete a load of wash! I want to get laundry over with, not spend all day on it.

• dadoes
    9 years ago

Many frontloaders have a Quick cycle for a couple/few items 20 to 30 mins.

• dave1812
    9 years ago

we never spend "all day on it". And we have plenty of things to wash as I use a ton of large towels to keep 3 vehicles clean that aren't able to be kept in a garage.