Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agnesackneback

best FL washer and dryer

agnesackneback
16 years ago

I have been reading as much as I can in this forum, but it all kind of blends together. So, I was hoping you guys could give me some suggestions or tell me what you love about the FL washers and dryers you have.

I am actually looking for a somewhat heavy duty/larged capacity, since most of the clothes I wash are for a 280 lb man that likes to wear heavy clothes. But nothing too harsh so that my pettite delicates are ruined. And of course something that's not a complete eyesore. I like most of my appliances to be somewhat astheticly pleasing.

Comments (11)

• kenmorewasher
    16 years ago

Whirlpool Duet 9400 washer and matching 9400 dryer.
    Maytag Epic 9700 washer and 9700 dryer.
    Both washers are 3.8 cubic foot 25 pound capacity and both dryers are 7.0 cubic foot 25 pound capacity.

• babasnoopy
    16 years ago

The new Miele W4840 washer and matching T9800 dryer may be a good fit for you. The washer is 4.0 cubit foot. Miele's have always been known for being very delicate, even being able to do dry-clean only items in the machine. The drum is big enough for my king size comforters so I think it should fit your husbands clothes.

• agnesackneback
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The Miele isn't stackable, is it? If it were it would be one of my top choices, probably.

And thank you both for your input.

• byron1
    16 years ago

I think Miele and or AEG washers and dryers outperform ALL brands. I own both. Granted, these units are smaller, but the wash performance is without peer and is far superior than the larger front loaders. I tried an LG wm2277h for 30 days. The wash performance sucked and had to be serviced twice.

It not the size..it's the quality

• kenmorewasher
    16 years ago

Speed Queen 3.3 cubic foot frontload washers and matching 7.0 cubic foot dryers.
    The Speed Queen set is 20 pound capacity.

• asolo
    16 years ago

That would make it the only 3.3 claiming 20lbs capacity, would it not?

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Any updates? What about the GE Adoras?

My 10-year old Whirlpool Gold washer is no longer spinning out regularly...I open it up at the end of the cycle and my clothes are still sitting in a tub full of water. I then have to re-set it to rinse again (spin out first, then rinse!) It was doing this occasionally but it's happening more often and now it sometimes happens twice in a row...I think it's time to start looking for a new one!

• agnesackneback
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not really any updates from me. I still haven't purchased a set. I don't think I will be for another couple months.

My DF's boss has the Duet and they like the washer but don't like the dryer...or was it the other way around? I don't remember now.

I'm still on the look out.

Sorry, I'm not much of a help.

• premier
    16 years ago

I have the LG Steam Tromm 2487 and really like it. 4.0 cubic feet. Consumers rated it #1. I see lots of posts about kenmore and whirlpool having repair problems. Don't see them about LG.

• iwmtv
    16 years ago

"I have the LG Steam Tromm 2487 and really like it. 4.0 cubic feet. Consumers rated it #1. I see lots of posts about kenmore and whirlpool having repair problems. Don't see them about LG."

well that could be because of the sample size, meaning more people here probably buy Whirlpools and Kenmores to begin with. i recently went with the new Samsung washer with the vrt technology. i was at Lowes ready to buy a Whirlpool sport for an upper level laundry. then i put the Samsung on spin only and was wowed. The vibration reduction technology is really quite good. Of course I bought the extended warranty (I'd recommend it for any FL machine) because these are fairly new.

again, i went with the Samsung for an upper floor install.
    it seems most people like Whirlpools, Kenmores (some of which are Whirlpools) and LG as well. Just started seeing posts about the Samsungs recently.

Some things to consider. Start with a budget and your desired features. What can you and can't you live without. Matching dryers are usually overpriced and unnecessary except for aesthetic purposes. A $500 dryer will be as good as the more expensive matching one.

• luvmylg
    16 years ago

"well that could be because of the sample size, meaning more people here probably buy Whirlpools and Kenmores to begin with"

do not get it twisted; people are buying LG's, in fact and I am sorry I can't remember where I read it, but the LG's supposedly was the #1 seller of fl's last year. There are a lot of LG haters on this site. Folks that have other washers some that don't even have a fl, have consistently attempted to find fault w/LG, they stated that the steam feature was a joke, no scientific proof in cleaning better, functionality was a gimmick, LG owners have been duped etc. etc. Now this feature has been mimicked by whirlpool it will be the best thing since modern space travel. lol
    I don't know what the deal is w/Whirlpool w/these washers because based on previous experience and everything else I have read they are solid as a rock w/everything else, including their tl's with the HE tl's being the exception. Go figure....