Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
betsyhac

Need a New Iron

betsyhac
13 years ago

Please recommend or warn. And if you use a steamer instead of or in addition to an iron and want to let me know about that, I would appreciate the info. Thx in advance,

Betsy

Comments (22)

• livebetter
    13 years ago

I love my Rowenta. I have the Advancer and it irons beautifully. ItÂs more expensive but it has powerful steam which makes ironing so much easier.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rowenta USA

• mara_2008
    13 years ago

My Black & Decker iron was very inexpensive (I bought it at Walmart), I've been using it for more than 20 years, and I've never had one problem with it. I really appreciate the automatic turn-off.

• podge8
    13 years ago

I agree, Rowenta. Best one I have ever owned, and have convinced everyone else looking for one to get one, too! All satisfied customers!

• stbonner
    13 years ago

Rowenta. Definitely.

• dakota01
    13 years ago

ANother Rowenta lover! I've actually bought factory reconditioned units and haven't had a problem. Since I had well water I always use spring water for my irons.

• oregpsnow
    13 years ago

I am glad to hear everyone likes their Rowenta but I am not in that crowd. I have a hundred dollar Rowenta that I hate. I got it at QVC and from the other reviews there at the time I am not alone. The thing is heavy, spits too much and doesn't steam enough. I got so annoyed I bought a TFAL iron on clearance at Target for 17 dollars and I love it. Lightweight, good steam, no spitting. I do have a Rowenta steamer I like but I don't use it very much.

• moon1234
    13 years ago

Rowenta! Have owned own for several years and have had no problems. German engineering at it's best.

• gates1
    13 years ago

I have the top of the line Rowenta and love it! The extra weight helps with ironing and I only use distilled water in it even though it says you can use tap water. Expensive yes, but every time I buy a cheap iron, they die, clog up, and do not steam well.

• pamelah
    13 years ago

Rowenta - without a doubt the best iron I have ever owned. Like Gates said, the extra weight helps. Plus, I am an avid sewer. Features like the number and location of the steam vents, plus the greater temp variability, make my sewing projects turn out beautifully.

Whether you choose Rowenta or not, use distilled water. No clogging and no awful deposits coming out of your iron onto your fabrics.

• plumberry
    13 years ago

I have a rowenta. electronics went haywire after 10 years. and no, i didn't drop it or anything. nothing unusual caused it. it was good while it worked. I'm on this thread to see what others recommend. i guess i'll get another rowenta. can you recommend a model/etc? I'd love to get a steamer (if it's worthwhile to have) if anyone can recommend it as well?

• wekick
    12 years ago

I had a rowenta that went haywire and over heated. I wouldn't have one again. Reviving this in hopes that someone will have other recs. My last was a "Perfection". It was inexpensive but it got hot enough and worked great. Can't find another one.

• bobd_2009
    12 years ago

Yes, I agree, Rowenta is a very good iron. However, if you ever need service, the repair company are practically crooks. When you send in the iron for repair the cost will be almost the price of a new iron or they'll try to sell you a refurbished iron again the cost about the same as a new one. And Rowenta will not back you up. Once the warranty is over, you're on your own.

• bestf100
    12 years ago

If you really want to splurge, buy a Laurastar. Laurastar consists of the iron + board + boiler. You can spend over $1000 for one of the fancier ones.

I bought one from Craigslist 2 years ago. It can blow steam several feet! It is strong enough to iron both sides of a pair of jeans at once. Paid $200 for mine.

I also have a Rowenta. It does not compare.

• asolo
    12 years ago

"......I only use distilled water in it..."

Rowenta's manual says don't do that. I called them asking why. Device has sensors that require at least minimal conductivity to operate properly. In my own experience, requires approx. minimum 10ppm (parts per million) TDS (total dissolved solids) to work as it should. "Drinking water" from the store is typically around 20-40 TDS. RO water typically between 2-30 so can be iffy. Distilled is zero and conductivity compromised.

Exact same problem with my Cuisinart coffee-maker and it's water-heater on the side. Coffee-maker is fine. Water-heater will not work with low TDS water. Thinks it's empty when it's full and will not turn on. The Rowenta iron exhibits different symptoms but the source is the same.

• bestf100
    12 years ago

If you really want to splurge, buy a Laurastar. Laurastar consists of the iron + board + boiler. You can spend over $1000 for one of the fancier ones.

I bought one from Craigslist 2 years ago. It can blow steam several feet! It is strong enough to iron both sides of a pair of jeans at once. Paid $200 for mine.

I also have a Rowenta. It does not compare.

• cross_stitch
    12 years ago

I have a 15 year old Rowenta. It's a good steamer -- the best part about it is it does NOT belch out staining sputters like so many irons do. But the spray feature quit working after about 2 years. I keep a spray bottle on hand and keep going. Not a big problem. As another poster stated, the manual advises tap water. That's all I ever use and the steam function works well with that.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

My Rowenta Advancer stopped working well after just over 2 years (auto shut off didn't work and it seemed temperamental about working properly).

I replaced it with the newer Rowenta Steamium and WOW! So much better. I love the new iron. It has a continuous steam trigger that is just great. Auto off works perfectly.

I find these Rowentas far superior to any previous iron I have used and will continue to replace them if they stop working (although hopefully this one will go the distance).

I use half tap water and half distilled (we have moderately hard water). This is what the manual says you can do.

• Cavimum
    12 years ago

Rowenta ... meh. I buy them on sale at JoAnn's and they are really more of a "disposable" iron these days. $50 is all I'll pay for one. My first, a TOL bought in 1993 with removable water container, started to leak after a few years. The ones still made in Germany (if any) are supposed to be better than the ones made in Mexico. Whatever.

I have the Rowenta DG5030 steam generator iron and it steams really well, but everyone I know who also owns it thinks, like I do, that the iron itself doesn't get hot enough to do a good job of ironing. The steam does all the work.

I have a B&D D2030 Digital Advantage iron that is several years old. I see one still available on amazon.com. I've been very impressed with this iron, and can't remember if I paid $65, or less than that, when I bought it new. It has auto shut-off, but heats right back up really quickly.

Reliable's Digital Velocity 100 iron is pretty good, but there's a learning curve to the turbo-steam feature.

• chloe203
    12 years ago

I also have a B&D D2030 Digital advantage iron and I think it is an excellent iron, the best I've ever had.
    It's about 4 years old .
    I've never owned a Rowenta so I can't compare.

• dualref
    12 years ago

We have a EuroPro we bought at HSN about 10 years ago or so. It is a very good steamer and has a good weight to it. We have never had any problems with it at all.

• angelic_one2002
    12 years ago

I own a newer gray and white Black and Decker iron, and LOVE it!!!!! Didn't have to pay big bucks to get great steam and ironing.

• Cyberspacer
    12 years ago

Have you checked out the Simplicity website? They have a link to irons by Singer and other brands.