Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shanonw

Thinking about getting new LG set

ShanonW
9 years ago

Hi, everyone

I was thinking about getting a new set of washer and dryer. I have been looking as the LG front loaders with steam function, I have been using my old washer and dryer that my parent got long time ago, i noticed that there are so many new function and washing cycles in the new ones. Are they necessary, which cycle do you use the most? Any suggestion on certain model or brand?

Comments (5)

• emma
    9 years ago

I asked the same questions a few months back and the majority said they wouldn't buy front loaders, some said again. My last two appliances had to have two service call while under warranty. After my warranty ran out I still had problems and they were expensive ones. So this time I went for the cheapest GE washer $549. and dryer $449 I could find. Then I bought the 5 extended warranty for each of them and I still came out financially ahead. If I am going to have service calls at least for 5 years they will all be free plus I can call for a yearly inspection. Both appliances are wonderful, the dryer is an HE simply because I have the "option" to use the sensor dying. The washer is not HE and I can adjust the water level. The only thing I wish I had gotten was a color, but I guess inexpensive ones do not have that option, not GE anyway. Good Luck what ever you choose.

Edited this to say..I love the " wrinkle care" cycle my dryer has on it. A lot less wrinkles.

This post was edited by EmmaR on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 19:06

• jstagaman
    9 years ago

Well, in contrast, I'd never buy a top loader again and have had a front loader for about 14 years (replaced the first after 12 years). My current washer is an LG and it gets clothes very clean while using remarkably small amounts of water and detergent. I can't advise on long term durability (it's been fine for 18 months), but Consumer Reports reader surveys show LG front loaders as very reliable.
    I probably use the three of the cycles 95% of the time (I use the extra rinse setting more often than changing the cycle). Usually the default cottons, then the speed wash, and the hand wash/wool for sweaters. I think I used the bulky items one for a conforter, but that's about it. I wouldn't be concerned about a washer that had 8 or so vs one with more: you can usually adjust temps and spin speeds as needed to modify a cycle if you'd like.

This post was edited by staggie on Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 4:27

• krissie55
    9 years ago

Our daughter just replaced their 5 year or less old LG set.

Laundry for 2 people should not wear out a washer that soon.

• triedandtrue
    9 years ago

What is this steam gimmick? If these manufacturers would allow washers to fill with HOT water you would get all the "steam" you need.

• oregpsnow
    9 years ago

Amen.