Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
top vs front load

Posted by kathy16 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 9, 10 at 15:47

I need some help now. I need to decide which to buy and I've read the latest forum here. Next week Sears has a special sale and I
d like to use it. My set is in a closet in my kitchen and washer is on right. The Electrolux can change door sides. I'm not sure if my dryer can be moved to the right side, somehow I doubt it. Is there any other brand with the change door feature??? I may just get another top load, cause I felt knitted items occasionally and need to stop it mid-cycle to check. Any help here is appreciated.. Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: top vs front load

Also.....be sure to measure your space and the machine. The new machines (TL's and FL's) have different dimensions than those from 15 years ago. Many "closets" designed to accommodate the earlier machines don't have room for the new ones.

o

Hi Kathy- How much felting do you do? I used to do some felting in my top loader, but haven't done any in my front loader (we moved into a house 2 1/2 yrs ago that had the front loader). The front loader doesn't agitate like the top loader- it basically "tumbles" the clothing. I haven't tried felting in my front loader, but I personally don't think there would be enough agitation to easily felt something. I think it could work, but I think it would be much, mch slower than a top loader, and I believe the felting would be uneven within the piece, depending how large it is.

Do you have any friends that have a front loader that you could try a practice piece of felting in?

Barbara

o

I have tried felting in a frontloader and I couldn't get it to work at all. (I have felted successfully in a toploader before that.)

o

Thanks much. I just looked at Sears at the Maytag HE TL Commercial Tech 850. I think that's what I'll get. Anyone have one? Are you happy with it?? It has a 5 cu ft capacity and is made a little sturdier than the Elite or the other HE TL they had. Lowest price I could find on the net, too, but still close to $1000. I'm not sold on the extra cycles, but the better materials are what impressed me. I hope to be able to felt in it, if not, I'll got to the laundromat.

o

Kathy, have you looked at an HE toploader? There is no agitator, like a FL, but you can stop the action as long as the Add A Garment light is on. Take this with a grain of salt, as I do not do felting. My HE toploader is a Maytag Bravos.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here