Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
studio460_gw

Post LG 2.3 CF WM3455HW 24" washer/dryer combo problems here:

studio460
10 years ago

This thread is regarding issues related specifically to the LG 2.3 CF WM3455HW 24" combination washer/dryer:

There are currently 106 reviews (as of 02 June 2013), on A.J.Madison's site for this unit; however, the reviews under the 2.3 CF washer/dryer combo model appear to also include some customer reviews of the larger 3.6 CF model as well. Also, a significant portion of the reviews have been aggregated from reviews originally posted on LG's site (apparently a common practice among online retailing sites).

The primary maintenance issue appears to be build-up of lint within the internal ducting. This can only be cleaned by removing the machine's top cover, and detaching the internal fan assembly (which reveals the top opening of the internal ductwork). This ductwork gets clogged with lint over time, reducing, or entirely compromising the machine's ability ot dry clothes effectively. I found a couple of notable details from reading various customer comments:

1. The larger, 3.6 CF-capacity LG combo washer/dryer is less prone to the internal lint duct problem. This was somewhat difficult to deduce, since, apparently, the reviews for both sized machines appear to be mixed together. However, one customer states clearly, that a repair technician indicated that he only sees this problem with the smaller, 2.3-CF LG combo machines, and not with the larger 3.6 CF LG combo machines (which seems to make sense, assuming more constrained ductwork on the smaller machines).

2. This partial site (some pages are missing, resulting in dead URLs) illustrates the location of the internal vent:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2bsrc/lgventless/id11.html

This post was edited by studio460 on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 17:28

Comments (4)

• studio460
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Drain-height:

Another "possible" issue, posted in a customer YouTube video (in this case, regarding the 3.6 CF LG combo washer/dryer), may be drain-hose height. The customer's dryer component of the machine stopped working, so he lowered his drainhose height to floor-level (to a bucket), which apparently resolved his problem.

It's probably more likely that he merely has a defective pump, working at lower capacity, or not working at all (although, if it's not working, I don't know why he doesn't have problems during the wash cycle).

According to the LG documentation for the 2.3 CF model, it indicates that the drain service can be no higher than 96" (which is pretty darned high). Note that there is no mention of a minimum drain height. (As I seem to recall, in comparison, I believe Miele recommends a drain height no higher than 36"). But since the customer's drain height shown in the YouTube video seems no higher than about 46", it's probably more than likely that this customer merely has a defective pump.

Nevertheless, since we're still at the "cement board" stage of our laundry-area renovation, this prompted me to re-consider pulling off the cement board, and having a plumber re-route the supplies and drain to a lower height (it's currently at 46"). This also gives us the opportunity to hide the supply and drain from view, since this is an open-plan installation.

LG 3.6 CF combo washer/dryer customer YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EhzuzSk2Ok

LG documentaion for the LG 2.3 CF model: WM3455HW 24" combo washer/dryer:

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-WM3455HW#

This post was edited by studio460 on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 18:23

• studio460
    Original Author
    10 years ago

From another website:

"P2706.2 Standpipes for automatic clothes washers shall extend a minimum of 30 inches (762 mm) and a maximum of 48 inches (1219 mm) above the finished floor. The trap for a clothes washer shall be installed at a maximum of 12 inches (305 mm) above the finished floor. Access shall be provided to all standpipe traps and drains for rodding." [Source not given; code may vary by state/region].

Another site stated:

"804.1 All plumbing fixtures or other receptors receiving the discharge of indirect waste pipes shall be approved for the use proposed and shall be of such shape and capacity as to prevent splashing or flooding and shall be located where they are readily accessible for inspection and cleaning. No standpipe receptor for any clothes washer shall extend more than thirty (30) inches (762 mm), nor less than eighteen (18) inches (457 mm) above its trap. No trap for any clothes washer standpipe receptor shall be installed below the floor, but shall be roughed in not less than six (6) inches (152 mm) and not more than eighteen (18) inches (457 mm) above the floor." [Source not given; code may vary by state/region].

This post was edited by studio460 on Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 0:15

• studio460
    Original Author
    10 years ago

At our existing standpipe height of 46" we're under code, just barely. I wonder if it's even worth moving for the sake of making it "easier" on the condensation evacuation pump?

This post was edited by studio460 on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 16:17

• studio460
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, I just pulled off the cement board in the laundry area. I think it's worth moving the laundry outlet box/drain, if only for the cosmetic benefit, especially since this is an under-counter, "built-in" installation.

Now, the only decision left is determining the optimum height/position for the outlet box. Even if the code is minimum, 30" above finished floor (assuming that's accurate), others have warned that the drain height still needs to be above the maximum fill-level of the machine, or water could inadvertently siphon out during regular wash cycles.

Since the LG 2.4 CF unit is only 33.5" tall overall, a 30" drain-height seems a safe bet, since the exiting drain hose is likely only about 19" high (as it is on our full-sized LG washer), leaving enough "upward travel" in the hose to prevent siphoning. Of course, we'll confirm this once we get the actual unit on-site.

Still, I would assume that minimizing drain height will result in less "work" for the pump to perform when evacuating any water during either rinse cycles, or when evacuating condensate during the drying cycle.

This post was edited by studio460 on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 18:33