Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Venting a closet with a stacking washer/dryer - need help!

Posted by blondelle (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 15:03

I found out the hard way what happens when there's no venting. A tenant put this in his apartment and he never told me there was mold growing. When he moved out I was horrified to see black mold all over the place! The closet is near the outside wall of the house. Is running a vent to the outside my only option? I don't want to buy ventless units.

How much should such a vent run, and what type of contractor would do this type of work? Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Venting a closet with a stacking washer/dryer - need help!

Ideally, an HVAC professional. I'm far from an expert, however, the task is often easy enough for anyone who's the least bit handy. A 5' length of 4" metal ducting costs $7 at Home Depot. You may need a couple of 90-degree turns, and an outside covered vent--all told, under $50 in materials (the most expensive part is the metal ducting tape that costs about $15/roll). You may also need a 4-1/8" hole-saw and a drill (or some other cutting tool) to cut a 4" hole into your siding.

If you need the cosmetics of an in-wall vent installation, that's a bit more challenging (needing an even "handier" guy/gal), and requires more specialized ducting, which is slightly more expensive, and not carried by Home Depot.

This post was edited by studio460 on Sun, Jun 2, 13 at 6:00

o
RE: Venting a closet with a stacking washer/dryer - need help!

Are you the landlord or the manager? If you have not already done so, you need to perform remediation of the mold affected area. Inspection could very yield the need to further pull drywall away from the studs and to clean and replace materials in the affected area. This is also a good time to review where a dyer vent can be established. You will need to contact your city's Building Department regarding building code as they apply to dryer vents and gas /electrical requirements for laundry spaces.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here