Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
onmiown3

Clothes getting odd stains in the wash??

onmiown3
16 years ago

Hi All,

I have a laundry mystery on my hands.

Lately, my clothes are coming out of the laundry with stains on them. Darker clothing has stains that make it look like they were exposed to cooking oil, where the pigment is a couple of shades darker. Lighter clothing has stains that look like dijon or brown mustard was splattered on the clothing.

I can't figure out what is causing this. Our machine is only 4 years old, we haven't switched degergents, we don't use fabric softener, and it seams to happen on all warm or hot water settings. So far, it's only affected our cotton and cotton/poly blends.

Pictures are below:

Black Cotton

{{!gwi}}

White Cotton with 5% spandex

{{!gwi}}

55% cotton 45% poly

{{!gwi}}

Same as above, but front view

{{!gwi}}

Any ideas on what could be causing this??

Thanks,

Kim

Comments (12)

• jamesk
    16 years ago

Are you using any new lotions or medications applied to the skin? Bug repellants, sun screens, acne medications, etc.?

Could be a possible source.

• onmiown3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi James,

No, we haven't been using any new lotions or topical medications.

We've used the same detergent for the last 4 years, Dreft, because I have very sensitive skin. For non-clothing items (towels, sheets) we use Arm and Hammer detergent.

This staining started happening about a three weeks ago, on our clothing items. Then one item would come out of the wash with these stains. Lately it's been 3-4 items per load. I'm begining to think I'll have to use a laundromat!

Here are some additional darks I just photographed.

Black 100% cotton:
    {{!gwi}}

Brown 100% cotton:
    {{!gwi}}

We own a Whirlpool TL that hasn't given us problems to date.

• joe_in_philly
    16 years ago

I wonder if this is grease coming from a leaking washer transmission. I don't even know if that is possible with your model, but I can't think of what else could create such a stain.

My first thought was perhaps some rust was getting into your water, but I don't think that would result in the spots on the dark items.

Joe

• livandlovit
    16 years ago

Hi Kim,
    I hate to say this, but your machine may be having problems with the bearings. A similar situation has happened with my clothes - dark brown streaks and 'dots' (in the pattern of the holes inside the drum) and oily looking stains just like yours. It started out slowly but within a couple of weeks got much worse.

So I had the repair man come in today - he said that the bearings were noisy and worn out, due to too much soap, and/or not the right kind of soap (I was using a bit or regular detergent and always cold water). So the lubricant from the damaged bearings are leaking into the wash drum.

Unfortunately, not only have I not been able to get the stains out of some of my favorite white clothes, it's not worth it to fix my washer. It'll cost a minimum of $600 so I'm better off getting a new one. My machine's a Frigidaire Gallery which is only 7 years old.

I recommend you have someone look at your machine as soon as possible, before any warrantees run out.

Good luck!

Lorraine

• chisue
    16 years ago

I'm replacing my Frigidaire Gallery (6 years old). The bearings are shot. The machine started sounding like a jet engine in the final spin cycle. The repairman said the bearings were "worn" but that I could continue to use the machine until it vibrated, so I thought I had time to research a replacement washer. Well...a couple days later I had dirt and grease on my clothes.

I'm just going to buy another Frigidaire. I figure $100 per year isn't too terrible. Don't want to spend $1200 for a Duet or $1600 for a Meile. Don't see the need for internal water heaters in washers unless your utility costs are as high as they are in Europe.

What brand is your washer? Is it a FL? How old?

• onmiown3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Lorriane and Chisue!

My TL Whirlpool is only going to be 5 years old this August, so the possibility of the machine being done for is unbelieveable to me. However, we did have a baby about 16 months ago and our machine was used VERY heavily for the first nine months of his life. Something needed washing everyday. We also have two dogs that shed, which I've heard can be tough on laundry equipment.

On the other hand, my mother's washer, which was installed in her home in 1978, didn't stop working until the mid-1990s and serviced a family of four that entire time.

I guess they just don't make them like they used to. ;-)

I'll call a repair service first thing on Monday to have them check it out.

Kim

• chisue
    16 years ago

"They" aren't even making 'em anymore. My Maytag washer lasted 30 years. I gave it to our son when he moved out and bought a pair of Whirlpools. The movers breezed right up with the Whirlpools and nearly fell on the floor when they tried to move the Maytags -- MUCH heavier. Fewer plastic parts. Now Maytag is just a re-branding of Whirlpool, no longer made in Iowa. Probably China-made now. Good luck. Hope the repairman has not-so-terrible news, but I doubt your set will see YOUR boy grown and out the door.

• onmiown3
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to all that replied. It is an issue with the seal around the bearings. Apparently it came lose and water started wearing down the bearings and letting the oil into the wash.

The repairman says the part is cheap, but the labor is intensive. because the entire machine needs to be taken apart to replace the malfunctioning piece. He's supposed to be calling us back with a quote tomorrow, but I think we'll end up replacing the machine.

Chisue, I am very aware of the Maytag/Whirlpool merger. Until recently, I managed the Maytag account for my company. When they were bought, Whirlpool consolidated vendors and we no longer served them. The Newton IA plant is still open, but only until December of this year. Such a shame. I just got an e-mail from my former main contact in Iowa on Friday. That was her last day with the company due to lay offs.

Thanks again!
    Kim

• snooper
    16 years ago

I have a similar problem but it's coming from my 10 yo Kenmore dryer....I think.

A couple of months ago a few of my whites came out of the dryer with touches of rust colored stain. I thought the washing machine was causing it so I inspected all my whites for the stain before they went in the dryer;there were none. However, the "rust" colored stain were present on some items when I took them out of the dryer. I spot-rinse it and the stain washes out.

I'm also wondering why is it that only a few pieces get the stain? Any thoughts on this?

• peggross1
    16 years ago

Can this happen with a Front Loader Machine?

I have a 9400 Whirlpool Duet, and have noticed similar dark spots on clothing. I thought it was from using a dryer sheet softener, pre-treat the item and throw it back in the wash and it usually comes out fine a second time.

I may place a service call anyway since I'm still under warranty (bot 7/05 w/extended warranty).

• gneegirl
    16 years ago

Chiming in here - glad I wasn't the only one. At first I thought it was the fabric softener, but I don't use the sheets. Then I kept seeing the rust colored stains - at first just dots on some of the clothes. Then I would see them in long streaks. The other day when I purchased a few sets of towels - before I realized it was the W/D and not old towls, I washed them and the same thing happened. Boy was I PO'd!! You may have seen my posts about the Bosch 800. This same problem was the reason for the new machines - which I LOVE by the way. My machines were too old to try to have repaired - too costly for the age.

So, I'm not going crazy afterall...

gng

• eco_chick
    9 years ago

You either have tannins in your water due to either lots of leaves in your water supply or (2) you have minerals in your water creating these colors.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH