Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kclv

FL leaving white clothes dingy

kclv
16 years ago

I have a Frigidaire 2940 front loader, 18 months old. Overall, I'm pleased with the performance, but I've found that lately my whites are looking a bit dingy.

I wash whites in hot water. My machine doesn't have an onboard heater, but it is right next to my hot water heater, so the water doesn't cool down too much.

I do use chlorine bleach, I have tried regular Clorox and the new Ultimate Care Clorox. For detergent, I use Cheer, All Small& Mighty, or Gain liquids (HE of course). I have also tried Sears HE liquid.

I do keep the machine clean, running an empty cycle with either bleach or Cascade Complete every couple of weeks, and I constantly wipe out the boot and around the rubber seal. No evidence of mold or mildew.

I have softened water, and I wonder if the salt content is causing the problem.

Any suggestions?

Comments (15)

• kenmorewasher
    16 years ago

Tide HE
    Cheer HE
    Gain HE
    Wisk HE
    All HE
    Purex HE
    Arm Hammer HE
    Sears HE
    Quixtar Amway SA8 With BioQuest HE

• mmk1964
    16 years ago

For the first couple of loads on my FL, I used All Small & Mighty HE and I too noticed that the clothes were kind of dingy. But then I switched to OxyClean (not an HE brand) and have been very satisfied with the results.

• plumbly22
    16 years ago

I haven't noticed this problem... I always wash my whites last, on the highest heat cycle, no bleach. Typically I use All HE, jsometimes I will add white vinegar for the rinse. I do leave the door ajar when the washing is done. I'm hoping that with the last cdycle being the hot one and leaving the door open, I won't develop the mold/scum problem that's discussed frequently here.

• kenmorewasher
    16 years ago

Clorox 2
    OxiClean
    Biz

• twebbz
    16 years ago

I always add about a third to a half scoop of an OXY powder or 1/3 cap of VIVID liquid color safe bleach to the laundry in my 2.4 cu.ft. front loader. You may need more for a bigger machine.

• jakvis
    16 years ago

Along with the suggestions above, Try reducing the size of your load by about 15%. If a washer has too many clothes it can cause them to not wash as well and coming out dingy is a result of overloading. If your washer has an extra rinse you may try using that also.

• User
    16 years ago

Ok, time for a change on when the bleach is added.
    Begin with a 1/2 cup of Baking Soda which could be added directly in the tub, then load washer as normal.
    Make sure NO colored socks or towels are in the same load. Use the longest wash cycle, hot water and HE detergent.
    Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup of Bleach diluted with water 5 minuets after cycle begins through your detergent dispenser.
    The reason for this change is because the Bleach is added during the first rinse which is way to short to be very effective in whitening.
    Add extra rinse and be persistent on doing this until optimum whitening has been achieved then wash at the recommended MFG recommendations.

• sshrivastava
    16 years ago

Make sure you're using enough detergent, and I would also recommend you get some Ecover Laundry Bleach which is 100% sodium percarbonate. Oxy Clean and other mass market brands are only 50-60% percarbonate and are only half as effective at the same dose. Ounce for ounce, the Ecover product is the same price, but almost twice as powerful so you use half as much.

How hot is your water heater? I would try washing a load of whites after turning up your water heater to 140°F or even 160°F if it goes that high. High temps make a big difference in front loaders.

• aquarius2101
    16 years ago

I've found that the detergent used is the major factor in how white fabrics are, not the water temperature. I use bleach containing detergent (in my home market, it's Persil or Ariel), and even on a short 40*C wash I get great results - I only use the longer wash cycles for stained whites.

If your detergent alone isn't powerful enough, then I would agree with sshriva - Ecover bleach is great at whites - I don't find it necessary with the detergents I use but if you have to use seperate bleach it's the only way to go.

Remember, improperly rinsed whites can also make them go dingy, so be sure to hit that extra rinse button!

Jon

• kclv
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. I always use an extra rinse, and I have been adding the Clorox Ultimate Care WITH the detergent. My white loads are typically small, so overloading is not an issue. I do use the hottest, longest cycle.

I will try some of the products suggested.

• abcbrooklyn
    16 years ago

Could hard water be the problem? It can cause clothes to become dingy after awhile.

• chisue
    16 years ago

Another thread suggests that there can be buildup within the washer that needs to be purged. I think the solution put forward was to run your longest hottest cycle with 1/2 cup of dishwasher detergent in the detergent dispenser.

I'm going to try it.

• helping_others
    16 years ago

I had similiar problems when I would wash clothes and the smell in my washing machine would not go away. I purchased a new product that has eliminated the smell in the washer and I found out that the detergent is what caused the smell. The LaundryPure that I bought (it hooks right into my washer) allows me to no longer need detergents. It has silver ions in it that created millions of tiny bubbles that cleans the clothes. It also keeps the washer clean inside and never have to worry about a mold or mildew problem. I've had it for almost a year and I have not had to buy any type of softner, bleach or detergent. The other great thing is that I can now mix colors and my whites are whiter then ever and it uses only cold water! It really is a great product!

• helping_others
    16 years ago

I had similiar problems when I would was clothes and the smell in my washing machine would not go away. I purchased a new product that has eliminated the smell in the washer and I found out that the detergent is what caused the smell. The LaundryPure that I bought (it hooks right into my washer) allows me to no longer need detergents. It has silver ions in it that created millions of tiny bubbles that cleans the clothes. It also keeps the washer clean inside and never have to worry about a mold or mildew problem. I've had it for almost a year and I have not had to buy any type of softner, bleach or detergent. The other great thing is that I can now mix colors and my whites are whiter then ever and it uses only cold water! It really is a great product!

• sparky823
    16 years ago

Mapletex-You said that you are adding the bleach with the detergent. According to Clorox it is BEST to wait 5 minutes then add the bleach. This gives the detergent a chance to do its thing,then the bleach can take over.Check your bottle of Ultimate Care-It says "For best laundry results" add 5 minutes after washing has started. It also says this on the other Clorox as well. Have you tried the new Clorox HE liquid bleach? I have tried it and it seems about the same as the regular. It is thicker so it doesnt splash plus it has some "extra" things in it according to Clorox. Try delaying the bleach and see if it helps.