Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I make my dryer's vent line better looking?

Posted by mystiky (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 13, 13 at 13:08

As you can see by this photo, our basement is getting completely redone. I am trying to figure out if there is a better (smarter and/or better looking) job with my gas dryer's exhaust line from the inside of my basement?

It's a standard 4" elbow, and the outside of the new frame ends up being 6 inches from the wall + the 5/8 sheetrock.

Are there any suggestions as to what I can do, so I can somehow improve visually how this all looks? I have plenty of space for my washer and dryer depth-wise. so space behind the units is not an issue.

Much appreciate all input, as always.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I make my dryer's vent line better looking?

You can cut (with a hack saw for tin) flush against the wall (exiting out of the basement).
Then with rigid metal ducting (with an end that is slightly tapered) extend from the newly cut flush with the wall out straight past where the new drywall will be.
Attach a 90 degree angle in the downward position and connect the flexible metal duct to the 90 degree angle.

I hope that makes sense.

o

If you have a 6" inside-dimension clearance between the exterior wall and your sheetrock, you have more options than most:

1. Use 4" round rigid-steel ducting.
2. Use flat rigid-steel ducting (more difficult to find).
3. Use flat rigid-steel "periscope" ducting.
4. Use a dryer duct exit panel.

Whichever you choose, don't bury flexible ducting in the wall--you need to use rigid-steel ducting for in-wall installations.

Here's links to all except the flat rigid-steel ducting:

Standard 4" round rigid ducting:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Speedi-Products-4-in-x-60-in-Aluminum-Rigid-Pipe-26-Gauge-EX-26AP-460/202907098#.Ubp0aee1FQg

"Periscope" ducting:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-29-77-in-In-the-Wall-Dryer-Vent-Periscope-4392892/202647858#.Ubp0F-e1FQg

"DryerBox" exit panel:
http://www.dryerbox.com/index-confirmed.htm

o

Thanks very, very much for the suggestions!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here