Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elke444

They sold me a floor model, and didn't tell me!

elke444
11 years ago

I hope someone can advise me what to do. I just bought a Whirlpool Washer from Lowe's. Model number wtw4850xq1.

$599.00 reg.price. $549.00 (promotion price). And 10% off,for current advertisement special, for ALL washers and dryers. Total with tax: $531.16

I bought it over the phone, after researching Lowe's ads on-line, to see if the one I wanted was, indeed, available.

I asked, and the sales rep ASSURED me, it was brand new, in their warehouse, and the box would be removed before they delivered it, to 'save me from having to get rid of the box'.

When it came, it didn't have an instruction manual with it. The delivery man told me Lowe's could print one out for me.

By this time, the "ALERT" sound came off in my head!

When I called back, to see about getting a manual for it, a person on the floor said "Oh, yeah, that was a floor model." Ka-BOOM!! I was livid!

I have a call into the store manager, and am waiting for a return call, as he checks it all out! I told him I'm aware that they will give me a further discount, BUT, since this washer was ON THE FLOOR, I would rather have a FREE extended warranty.

I've not used it yet (was delivered 2 days ago.) Any suggestions? And, is it ILLEGAL to sell a floor model, and keep that info from the customer?

Many thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments (10)

• User
    11 years ago

What exactly is the big deal here? It's not used, just dusty. You didn't comment on there being any scratches or dents or any problems other than other people besides you have looked at it before. A display model may have been on the floor for a couple of weeks or months, but you're not buying something obsolete unless the model is being discontinued. And you got a discount on it, probably because it was a floor model. I repeat. What's the big deal?

• asolo
    11 years ago

Disagree with greendesigns.

No telling what happens to machines on the floor. You were assured it would be in-the-box machine with only the box removed. Floor-machine without manual? I think you had legitimate beef.

Glad it's resolved.

• elke444
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you, asolo. I never jump the gun on insignificant issues. Actually, I Googled the question, and found other people who had written on GardenWeb: Laundry forum.

I quickly remembered how GREAT the people are on GW.
    I didn't know there WAS a "Laundry Forum". (I used to use the birding forum all the time here.) I always received the greatest help from the nicest people!

So, it was the PEOPLE of GWeb (like you) who made me decide I could come here for help.

Thanks for your KIND words, and taking time to leave a message. (I'm glad I found a friendly, understanding voice, which is the norm on this terrific website.)

Yes, all settled, and Lowe's fully understood my concerns, and they appreciated WHY I'd be upset! Once I worked directly with the STORE Manager, I could not have been treated better! (My 4th major appliance purchase from Lowe's in 12 years ~ all is very, very well! ) ;)

• mark40511
    11 years ago

I agree with the OP! I would be very upset if they sold me a floor model! No one knows how much it's been pawed through, pushed, hit, and everything else.

• drewem
    11 years ago

To play devil's advocate, are you sure that it really was new in the box, and they are not just saying that now because you were so angry?

• Lauren
    11 years ago

Glad you got it all worked out with them. We bought a floor model dishwasher from Lowe's a few years back, but when we came to pick it up, they had sold it to someone else! I complained, because it was a $700 dishwasher we were getting for $299., because it had a tiny scratch on the side that no one would ever see. They gave us a brand new one for the same price. Never had a problem with Lowe's!

• bulldinkie
    11 years ago

Me too we ordered at Sears this beautiful set Lg tromm,I was at dialysis so my daughter left them in thinking I was getting a new washer & dryer, the top of washer is all scratched it was either brought back fixed up or they gave me floor model also the big drawer underneath had a huge dent in it.unless you were there when it was installed you wouldnt know its there.It eats away at me everytime I wipe it off.I figured she accepted it so its ours.But Thats poor salesmanship of SEARS.who would think theyd bring you used when you paid for new????

• nonniekae
    6 years ago

We have just built a new house...we have had holy heck with BEST BUY. Bought over $16K worth of appliances and were told they had arrived at their warehouse and just tell them when to deliver. Our building got delayed by a month and then when we finally told them to deliver them, they said it would be months before we could get them. We have gotten bits and pieces of our PAID FOR APPLIANCES and now have major issues with an oven that was delivered yesterday. They took it upon themselves to order us an oven that had been on the floor and didn't bother telling us. The oven was delivered yesterday and it's is so beat up that it's totally awful looking. Part of the bottom of the oven is suppose to have a grill and it's not there and the white glass around the door panel is broken and flaking off (great for cooking food, huh?), along with a damaged handle. They didn't tell us it was a floor sample but yet we had already paid the full price (plus $200 to installation). (BTW: They said they had delivered both our kitchen oven/microwave combo and the wall oven in the butler's pantry two weeks ago and we NEVER GOT IT--that is another story). Never again will we purchase anything from BEST BUY....they are liars and cheats. Please be aware that they are NOT very reliable. I am about ready to tell them to come get all the appliances and just give us our money back. (the picture is of the oven door handle).

• wekick
    6 years ago

If you paid by credit card, you could dispute the charges within so many days after you receive the bill, maybe 60?

I received a wall oven years ago that they delivered without the box. They called to mention this to me and said they took it out of the box so they could go over it and make sure everything was perfect. It looked like somebody had rolled it off of a cliff and none of the manual or other parts were with it. I learned the hard way and I would never ever would accept delivery without a box. The box is mine. They did exchange it finally.