Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
livebetter

Optical Brighteners

livebetter
13 years ago

I just received some cotton pyjamas from Hanna Anderson for my kids. It came with an information page on how to care for your Hannas. This was one of the points:

News about detergents!

Most detergents now contain optical brighteners; while these keep white laundry brighter, they can change or fade your clothing after washing, or even cause matching hannas to no longer match. WeÂve found that our colors stay fresher using optical brightener-free products such as 7th Generation, Kirkland Signature Environmentally Friendly Laundry Detergent (Costco), Ecover, Bi-O-Kleen (Vancouver WA), Surf Powder, Cheer Powder, Planet Detergents, Alma Win Organic Cleanut Detergent, Moon-Works, RockinÂ-Green Detergent, CharlieÂs Soap, and ClaudiaÂs Choices Ultra.

I knew this was probably true for dark colors but it sounds like they are referring to all colors.

The only Persil I can handle is the Sensitive version (purely because the scent is so much milder than any of the regular products). Persil recommends the Sensitive Gel for colors but it does contain optical brighteners (it does not contain oxygen bleach as the powder does).

I do have Vaska which is brightener free but no enzymes.

I also have Biokleen Premium Plus that contains oxygen bleach/enzymes and no brighteners. Would this be safe for colours even though it contains oxygen bleach?

I wash their pjs with their clothes so I prefer a detergent with enzymes.

Any other suggestions?

Comment (1)