Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Optical Brighteners

Posted by livebetter (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 20, 10 at 12:35

I just received some cotton pyjamas from Hanna Anderson for my kids. It came with an information page on how to care for your Hannas. This was one of the points:

News about detergents!
Most detergents now contain optical brighteners; while these keep white laundry brighter, they can change or fade your clothing after washing, or even cause matching hannas to no longer match. Weve found that our colors stay fresher using optical brightener-free products such as 7th Generation, Kirkland Signature Environmentally Friendly Laundry Detergent (Costco), Ecover, Bi-O-Kleen (Vancouver WA), Surf Powder, Cheer Powder, Planet Detergents, Alma Win Organic Cleanut Detergent, Moon-Works, Rockin-Green Detergent, Charlies Soap, and Claudias Choices Ultra.

I knew this was probably true for dark colors but it sounds like they are referring to all colors.

The only Persil I can handle is the Sensitive version (purely because the scent is so much milder than any of the regular products). Persil recommends the Sensitive Gel for colors but it does contain optical brighteners (it does not contain oxygen bleach as the powder does).

I do have Vaska which is brightener free but no enzymes.

I also have Biokleen Premium Plus that contains oxygen bleach/enzymes and no brighteners. Would this be safe for colours even though it contains oxygen bleach?

I wash their pjs with their clothes so I prefer a detergent with enzymes.

Any other suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Optical Brighteners

I also have Biokleen Premium Plus that contains oxygen bleach/enzymes and no brighteners. Would this be safe for colours even though it contains oxygen bleach?

Yes! Biokleen Premium Plus Powder is definitely safe to use on colors. I have used it for a few years with no fading problems at all on dark and bright colors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here