Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
topperdude_gw

Water under washing machine

topperdude
10 years ago

Last Friday and today, I noticed some water in the laundry room. There doesnt seem to be any leaks in any pipes connected to the clothes washer or the sink next to the washer in the laundry room.

Moreover we do NOT see any water during or after we do our weekly round of laundry (usually around 5-6 loads) during the weekends.

What I did notice was that the water softener was also going through its weekly regenerating cycle. I confirmed this was the case today and am almost certain I had heard the water softener running last Friday as well when we woke up around 6am. At that time when I saw the water pooled by the washing machine in the laundry room, I assumed it might have been from the wet umbrella I had kept there for drying on Thursday night and simply wiped off the water with a paper towel and we did our usual 5-6 loads of laundry over the weekend without any issues.

This morning I could hear the softener running in the basement as I came downstairs to the first floor and then when I went to the laundry room saw the water around the washing machine (no laundry was done between last Sunday and today morning). After wiping up the water, I quickly inspected the various pipes connected to the washing machine and they looked fine, not wet or leaking. So I went to basement and the water softener was going through the (backwash?) phase where it drains all the water from the brine tank and mineral tank and into the drain. Roughly an hour later, the softener was done with the regenarating cycle.

If it helps, I should also mention that our basement is unfinished and while looking at the softener, I looked up towards the ceiling and did not notice any issues with any of the pipes leading up and to the laundry room area (or even the pipes leading to the half-bath next to the laundry area).

Am trying to figure out what could be causing the water to pool/leak in the laundry room? Could it be somehow related to the softener running?

Thank you for any input!
-Topper

Comments (3)