Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
STPP usage with hard water

Posted by kcaustin68 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 14, 10 at 11:48

I need advice on how to use STPP under my local conditions. The water is rated 11gpg (191 ppm), I have a new Bosch 500 frontloader, and am using Sears HE free & clear detergent powder. We have 3 children in our house, including an infant, so I tend to add extra rinses to my washloads.

I am planning on starting with 1 tbls of STPP to 2 tbls of detergents. However, my bigger question to ask is this: do I need to do anything to the rinse water besides adding fabric softener? My towels and clothes currently come out very stiff. I'm worried that they will continue to be stiff due to the hardness of rinse water. It doesn't seem like STPP in the rinse water would help.

I appreciate everyone's advice on this in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: STPP usage with hard water

My well water was measured a few years ago at 11 grains. I've heard recommend to use STPP on a 1:3 ratio -- 1 part STPP to 3 parts detergent -- which is what I've been doing for a couple years. That may be stronger than necessary. A fellow I know who runs a hospital laundry claims he gets by with 1 *teaspoon* (or maybe I misunderstood and it's 1 tablespoon?) for a 50 lb load (not sure if that's on presoftened water). I've cut back to 1 tablespoon maximum the last couple months, haven't noticed any adverse effect thus far.

o

Do you need to add the STPP to powdered detergent only, or can you use it with liquid as well? If so, would you put it in the dispenser with the liquid detergent or into the drum with the clothes at the beginning of the cycle?

o

Since STTP is a pretty safe chemical and is non-reactive, I would say just dump it in your dispenser along with the liquid detergent. In your Bosch, I would reduce the STTP to 1 tsp. A little goes a very long way!

o

A possible concern regards to mixing powdered STPP with liquid detergent in a dispenser is that it can turn into a sticky mess that's difficult to flush through.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here