Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hethrliles_gw

What is bleaching/ruining our clothes?

hethrliles
10 years ago

Hi all--
OK. This is driving me nuts! For at least the past year, my clothes (and some of my husband's) have come out of the washer with big, bleached-out looking splotches and streaks. These stains are never as white or yellow as they would look if, say, I had just spilled straight bleach on them. Rather, the splotches are most often pink and sometimes a tan/orange (if the garment is black). At first I thought that this might be caused by the chemicals used for treating our water well. We live in the country but none of our neighbors who share this well have the same laundry problem.
My second notion was that perhaps dog urine and/or dog urine stain remover was causing this (we have a very stubborn pup who is marginally house trained and goes on "her" towels). But, I have been cleaning the washer by running hot water and vinegar through a cycle between her towel load and our clothing loads. This has not helped either! Oddly, some fabrics such as denim as well as older clothing are not/less affected but newer and especially brighter items are getting bleached out over and over. Any ideas are very much appreciated!

Comments (5)