Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnnieb_dc

Duet vs. Duet Sport

JohnnieB
15 years ago

After doing some research and reading some discussions here, I had pretty much decided on the Whirlpool Duet Sport, in part because I don't need a really large-capacity washer/dryer and in part because my space is tight and every inch of clearance makes a difference. I went to a local appliance showroom yesterday and the salesman basically said that if I'm getting the Duet Sport, I might as well get the Duet because the size difference is negligible but it has much greater capacity, and if I really wanted a smaller washer/dryer set I should get the Bosch Axxis (which they had and struck me as just a bit too small). Was he just trying to sell me a more expensive machine? Just what are the significant differences, if any, between the Duet & the Duet Sport?

Comments (12)

• joe_in_philly
    15 years ago

Sounds like he gets a bigger commission on the Duet or Axxis v. Duet sport!

The duet sport sounds like it meets your measurement requirements better than the regular duet. The duet sport's horizontal drum allows the cabinet to be smaller than the regular duet, which has an angled drum. The slightly smaller drum size of the sport is probably insignificant. The Axxis, on the other hand, has significantly less capacity than the sport.

The Duet is made in Germany, the sport in Mexico. They are different designs, but I believe the cycles are fairly similar. If the Sport has the cycles that you want and fits your space better, that sounds like the machine you want.

Joe
    P.S. I believe the Axxis requires 220volt hookup for the washer.

• JohnnieB
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Joe! But what do you mean by "horizontal" vs. "angled" drum?

• joe_in_philly
    15 years ago

The drum on the Duet is tilted up about 10 degrees. If you look into the drum the back of the drum is lower than the front. The idea behind this is to make accessing the drum easier.

I believe the Duet Sport drum has no angle, so that the front and back of the drum are level. Some people tend to prefer a completely horizontal drum, like on the sport, because they believe the tilted drum can increase tangling.

I couldn't find a good picture, but this is of the old Neptune, and you can see how a "tilted" drum would make it slightly easier to reach into the drum, but also would necessitate the washer cabinet be deeper.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I have consistently heard that the Sport is not as good a machine as the regular Duet -- from sales people to service people to comments read here. I have been told they only recommend them for folks who can't fit a larger front loader and can't afford a European model -- and then the Frigidaire is better.

• massive8
    15 years ago

As a fellow appliance salesman, I can guarantee he was just trying to sell you a more expensive unit because he makes more money on it. For your needs you stated above at least the Sports would be good for you. The differenc is that the reg duets have a bigger capacity, a few more cycles, are a little quieter, and better stain treatment. But the Sports are still good solid units.

• JohnnieB
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everybody, we've pretty much decided to get the Sport.

• joe_in_philly
    15 years ago

Please be sure to check in and let us know how you like them!

Joe

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

i'm planning on getting the sport as a secondary washer for my mudd room, so no experience with them yet ...but isn't the bosch more expensive?

• kawfeeaddict
    15 years ago

The Duet Sport is a great machine! We have a Duet Sport washer/dryer and a Miele set in another home. It cleans very well and I like the horizontal drum. No complaints whatsoever.

• floraliferous
    9 years ago

I have had a slightly used DUET sport for about 8 years, no problems at all except for having to clean out the pump filter when it fixes you an F20 message. You can very easily do this yourself so don't waste money calling a plumber. You tube has quite a few how to DIY clips on the subject.
    I think it's a great machine.

• penny_4u61
    6 years ago

Does anyone know if the pedestals for the whirlpool duet sport will fit a whirlpool duet? I have a whirlpool duet and a friend of mind has a whirlpool duet sport and she wants to sell me the pedestals. Just want to make sure they will fit. I have called whirlpool but they can't give me an answer.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!