Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmdennis_gw

Help! what flooring in laundry room?

hmdennis
14 years ago

I am remodeling my kitchen, dining room, and adding an upstairs bathroom and the only choice that has given me more grief than "which granite?" is what to put on my laundry room floor!

Ours is a 30s house and we are looking to keep that feel to it. Kitchen will be white with wood floors, very classic. The laundry room opens off the kitchen and also serves as a mud room, for three kids and a St. Bernard, so durability is key.

It will have light yellow walls, white trim and a "Pearl Soapstone" laminate counter (light gray). No natural light in the room.

We love the idea of a black/gray check linoleum, but the marmoleum we have in another room has not lived up to our expectations for durability.

I like VCT tiles, but not the maintenance involved with polishing them.

I don't love the look of stone tile for this room.

How do you think a small mosaic tile with a dark grout color would hold up in this room?

Would love your comments or ideas!

Here is a picture of some cute tile, I would go with something darker.

Click on the picture for the laundry room

http://www.modwalls.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=48

Comments (16)

• jones123_123
    14 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong with good ole ceramic. It's durable, easy to care for, affordable and never goes out of style, not to mention comes in a zillion and one styles and colors. Since the room will be used a lot make sure to use a dark grout.

• czechchick2
    14 years ago

Yeah good old tiles are the best for room like this but I've seen some beautifull floors made from stamped concrete. They do require to be sealed thou. We had them in one of the restaurant I worked long time ago. Men's room was dark marbled green,pantry looked like tile in light green marble w/white color grout. They were washed w/many chemicals including bleach but held up. I personally don't care for mosaic tile for bussy area, the grout gets dirty even w/sealer-too much for keeping it spotless.

• hmdennis
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the input. Maybe a larger ceramic tile might be better, less grout.

• mountaineergirl
    14 years ago

ceramic is the best bet, and altho we have that in all the baths, we didn't put it in the laundry room. We started out with vinyl flooring, and then just recently put in laminate flooring that looks like ceramic tile. Its so realistic, the guys installing the W/D had to actually get down and feel it with their hands to believe it. 100 sq ft only cost $160!! But of course, if the washer would happen to break down/leak, it will buckle up, but for that price it can be easily replaced.
    BTW, we have wood floors in our kitchen and the same thing could happen if the dishwasher leaks, and would be much more $$ to replace than the laundry room floor!

• brutuses
    14 years ago

I have an 18" ceramic in my laundry room.

{{gwi:1463686}}

• itgeek
    14 years ago

My first choice: Cement/concrete. Be it colored and stained or just plain and sealed. For utility, you can't beat a concrete floor, sloped to drain.

Second choice: Large tile ceramic tile. The fewer the grout lines the better.

Best looking laundry room floor I ever saw... a solid slab of sealed granite, 2" thick. I can only imagine how hard it was to install and how much that cost. I've heard of people doing it w/ a slab of soapstone too but never seen the finished product.

- IT Geek.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

brutuses, I just love your laundry room so much and when I change my VCT tiles in my laundry room (which are not even under the washer and dryer which shocked me), I want to do large tiles like yours with the lighter grout. I also am thinking of repainting my laundry room that BM Rich Cream. I just wish I had a window in my laundry room and it was as large as yours. But I am blessed to have a laundry room that is across from my Master Bedroom so I will not complain.

• brutuses
    14 years ago

itgeek, I can't imagine how luxurious granite on a floor would be. Having a $10,000 laundry room floor would definitely not go in my $250,00 house. LOL

Thanks Lynn. Have you completed any of your floors yet?

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Brutuses, The tile in my two foyer areas was finally finished at the very end of December 2008 and I really love the Akoya Bone Tile (12.4" X 12.4") so much with the Mushroom grout on the diagonal. Everyone loves my floors and some people think I should tile the whole downstairs but I want a floor that is wood or looks like wood in the main areas.

I am almost done this NJ Amnesty deadline and then I can focus on the other floors in the rest of my home. I am very sick tonight so taking a brief break before bed instead of forcing myself to work more.

I have not made a final choice for the wood floor but my top runners are BR-111 Engineered Triangulo Brazilian Cherry in the 3.25" wide planks, Bruce Park Avenue Makore Laminate that you have Brutuses that I really like and now I am considering again, and Rose stain on the White Engineered Rift and Quarter Oak in the 3.25" Coswick Wide Planks. If it is too difficult to put an engineered wood floor in my home, I may just go for the pretty laminate that looks so real. But I also have to find out if it would not be good to float a floor due to my huge commercial cabinets and then I will have to seal the floor and glue down engineered wood floors.

My laundry room, I do want a big neutral tile so I have less grout to clean and I love all the pictures of your floors with the larger tile.

My kitchen also I want to do a large neutral tile probably on the diagonal.

• rosefolly
    14 years ago

We have a moderately priced porcelain tile floor which we love, about $4 per square foot when we installed it ten years ago. We especially like it when the washer overflows and we have to mop up all that water....

• stayn2busy
    14 years ago

We are getting ready to build an "old farmhouse" and I'm going with brick pavers. The are durable and give that old feel to a room. Thinking about doing them in my kitchen also.

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

stayn2busy, please post pics when you are done. It sounds like it will look great.

• iapq1990
    14 years ago

Uh oh! I was going to put Marmoleum Click panels in my new laundry room because of what I've read about its durability. What issues have you had with it?!

• judyfoodie
    14 years ago

I was going to put down a porcelain tile but opted for a Mannington Sobella vinyl which looks amazingly like a real tile floor. I mainly wanted it for the warmth and ease of cleaning without worrying about grout lines. It was laid down without any glue and does not shift or move at all while my washer is spinning as fast as it does. And because it's not glued down, it's easy to just roll up and replace in the future if I get bored with the pattern. Can't do that easily with tile. If you don't like a stone look there are cement, wood and mosaic patterns too and the better lines look so real!

• rogerv_gw
    14 years ago

I think that I might pick sheet vinyl for a laundry room floor from the standpoint of water resistance and ease of clean up. There are some beautiful patterns out there in high-quality vinyl that are durable, and no grout to worry about. Porcelain tile would be my second choice, though. We have that in our kitchen, family, and dining rooms, very nice, easy maintenance on the whole. Not as easy as vinyl, but a more formal feel.

-Roger