Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need advice on counter in new laundry room

Posted by pamelah (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 10:19

Hi! My 2 dogs sleep in the laundry room. In my new house I want their beds to be under a countertop so I don't trip on their beds and they can enjoy a little "cave" of their own. See the drawing below. My question is whether a counter top can span the space between the arrows without being supported by base cabinets below. The attachment points would be the side of the tall utility cabinet and the wall that is a little over 5' away. I have not spec'd the counter material yet.
Can I do this? If not, can you suggest a way to keep at least 4' of undercounter space for the pups?
Thanks!
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need advice on counter in new laundry room

It's easy - get a bracket or two that is made to hold up counters.

http://www.rakks.com/products/counter.html
http://www.federalbrace.com/

etc.

o
RE: adding

Adding: The brackets would be on the wall to the left.

Or, you could just nail a ledger along that wall and the wall by the washer and attach the countertop to it.

o

I've seen counters span areas that didn't have base cabinets below, so I know for a fact that it can be done. I would consult with a good carpenter as to how to go about using special brackets and such. Depending on the countertop material, there may be a possibility that you need a brace underneath at some point along the span, but I don't know for sure. Either way, it would still keep the space open for you. Beware of people who only care about selling cabinetry.

I think your idea is a good one, and am considering a similar situaton when we build, to house litter boxes, etc.

Sandy

o

Thanks Lazygardens and Sandy. I am going to follow through with this with my GC. I have been dealing directly with the cabinet guys who told me they could "squeeze" 3 feet of space under that 5 ft counter. I just didn't want to sound like an imbecile when I approach the CG.

Sandy, you are right about people who just want to sell cabinets. At least that is how I am feeling these days.
There are so many cabinets and built-ins going into the new house that my head is spinning.

What I really value in a laundry room is folding space, hanging space, a couple of accessible uppers, and a small 2nd fridge as extra space for holiday dinners and party trays. The cabinet guys just don't "get it" that I don't need another room filled with cabinets on the walls and floor. I want a hanging rod over the washer and the sink, a 2nd rod over the folding area, and a place for my dogs to sleep. Agh!@! Sorry, I am ranting.

Some aspects of building are a real pain.

o

It's going to depend on the counter material. A relatively light material like laminate would have no problem spanning that distance with a ledger against the walls and a large bracket or two in the middle. Granite is MUCH heavier and would potentially need a "leg" in the middle with cross bracing, not just brackets and ledgers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here