Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing Dye Transfer

Posted by itguy08 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 24, 11 at 9:38

So I did a Boneheaded thing yesterday and put a purple shirt that I thought wouldn't transfer dye anymore into a wash of light clothes. Including a couple white shirts. Oops, now I have a brown/purple white shirts - the rest of the laundry seems fine.

Tried soaking overnight in 1 cup of Clorox Color Safe bleach in a 5 gallon bucket and nothing. Still look the same....

Anything else to try? Really don't want to soak in chlorine bleach but if that's what it takes...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing Dye Transfer

Rit makes a color remover for things like this. I have not used it but there are reviews from satisfied customers and tips at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rit Color Remover

o

Ditto the Rit color remover. It can be hard to find, but if you have a JoAnn fabric store, I found it in the tee-shirt dyeing section of the crafts dept. I saw it somewhere else recently, but can't remember.

I can't remember if you own a Miele, but sshrivastava pointed out that I could not use this product in my washer, per the owners manual. A big plastic bucket would work, though.

o

Yes, page 24 of the W4842 manual has a warning box saying DO NOT use dye removers! I would check the instruction manual of your particular machine to ensure use of such a product is safe for your particular machine.

o

Thanks for the tips. I tried looking for it at the grocery store and Target and came up empty handed. The nearest craft store is a ways away and didn't want to spend the gas for a couple free shirts that I use mainly as exercise clothes.

So I made up a 5 gallon bucket of maybe a cup of bleach and the rest hot water. Dunked the shirts int here for maybe 5-10 minutes and they are pretty white now. Rinsed them well in the sink and ran them through a quick cycle with an extra rinse with some detergent. They look decent. White again with a hint of yellow but for running at night and other exercise duties that will do.

But I will have to keep an eye out for the Rit (or pick some up next Amazon order) as it may be a good thing to have.

o

itguy08 - I think I saw it at WalMart in the Laundry section. I think that is the other place I saw it, as I haven't been to too many stores in the past month.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here