Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help! Can't believe I had a color run!

Posted by smarge (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 22, 10 at 9:15

I washed a load of light colors, which was a combo of clothing that had color and white in it.

Stupidly didn't notice/remember that a new pair of my daughter's socks (commercially sold tye-dyed pink and white) were in the sorted pile and put the entire load in on a regular warm wash.

Now, panties, pj's, tshirts, etc are pink where the white was, and clothing that was touching the socks is VERY pink, even on previously colored areas.

I could try bleaching it all, but I think there must be a better way.

My daughter's favorite tshirt (all-over bright yellow with a large smiley face in small golden studs all over the front) has splotches of pink on the bottom that shows through even though I had turned it inside-out to protect the little sequins. I can't find another shirt like it, and am afraid of destroying it with bleach.

I've rewashed, on hot, using a large scoop of oxy-clean with zero result.

Now I'm soaking all the affected clothing in a mixture of water, lots of baking soda and about a cup of vinegar.

I've done a search for "color run" but have not found a thread discussing this.

Can anyone help? (front loader)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help! Can't believe I had a color run!

Go to the quilting forum. This is a common occurrence with quilters and they use a product called a color catcher. I've never used it, but I'll bet they can help. Do not run these clothes in heat to set it, keep soaking until you find an answer. I'm not sure vinegar was the best idea, either. It can set dyes. Good luck.

o

I use color catcher (sold in sheets similar to fabric softener ) to prevent color runs. Couldn't hurt to try rewashing with a sheet or two. I would also soak (not wash) with oxyclean -- it may take as many as 2 or 3 soakings left overnight or all day, but I got run dye out of a patchwork Christmas tree skirt that had been packed away for a year when we first tried oxyclean.

o

Vinegar is used to set dyes and colors so I wonder if that soak did more damage.

I was able to get out red that bled onto a bunch of white items by soaking in Biz (not sure how or if that is different from oxi). It eventually came out all the way with many more washes using just regular detergent, but the Biz took it down to a tolerable level so the items could be worn without embarrassment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here