Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP- red shirt bled all over the laundry

Posted by jannie (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 9, 07 at 9:05

My daughter threw her red shirt in the washer yesterday. The dye went into everything, so now all her white socks and underwear are pink. Is there any way to get the dye out? Or does she have to live with her new pink underclothes? Tossing out everything is not an option.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP- red shirt bled all over the laundry

Have you dried them yet? If you haven't, try running them through as hot a wash as the fabrics can stand, with a generous amount of Oxiclean. If that doesn't work, soak them overnight in a bucket of water and Oxiclean.

If you've dried them, there's no cure. Sorry!

o

Yeah, they went thru the dryer. I guess some will have to go out. She'll see them and hate the way they look. It's not even a pretty pink.

o

I would try the oxi-clean anyway. It can't make it worse and not all colors get set by high temperatures. Give it a try!

And for the future, it is always good to have some "color catcher sheets" handy to through in with newer, colorful clothes. They even catch some grey color when there isn't any real color bleeding...

o

Try Rit Color Remover.

It's made to remove dye that bleeds onto whites. It's sold in the laundry section on most supermarkets with the fabric dyes.

I used it to remove dye that bled from green towels onto my whites that were washed together.

o

Try washing in the hottest water you can (adding oxyclean helps) and hang them in the sun to dry. The sun is like a natural bleach.

o

Also, in the future, wash anything that might bleed by itself and use white vinegar in the rinse. That sets the dye and it won't bleed.

o

Using an HE detergent might help as well. HE detergents have additives that also help set the dyes so they won't bleed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here