Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
efc54

laundry room off kitchen--toilet?

efc54
12 years ago

As part of our kitchen/laundry room remodel, we took out the powder room that had been carved out of the kitchen, and didn't plan to replace it. (We have a powder room on the ground floor, but it isn't convenient to the kitchen or back yard/pool). Now our GC says we could put a toilet in the new laundry room off the kitchen, with the utility sink doubling for both. I'm trying to figure out if this is too weird--he said he's seen this lots. Planning to sell in a few years. Thoughts? (cross-posted in kitchen forum) Thanks!

Comments (7)

• jejvtr
    12 years ago

ef

For me it would depend on the site lines. While I think it is a great idea and not offensive in theory - I have strong negative opinions about bathrooms in kitchens - That said, in your case as long as their is a hall/buffer between kitchen & Laundry & the layout does not mean the toilet is in full view from the kitchen - I think it would be a great idea & good use of space.

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

@ efc54

I'm a realtor in Phoenix. From my experience, it would be unusual to have a toilet in the laundry. Furthermore, if that laundry is literally right off the kitchen, the proximity of the toilet to the kitchen would be a resale problem in our market. It's just not done.

If you are going to make a change to your house, make a change that would remove a buyer's objection, not create one.

• efc54
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you both for your thoughts. After hearing your comments, and others from the kitchen forum, I'm going to ask our GC if it would be possible to put a physical barrier between the toilet and the rest of the laundry room--a wall or at least a panel. Do you think that would address the concern buyers (or even I!) might have about having a toilet there?

• izeve
    12 years ago

I have two powder rooms on the ground floor, one of them being in a little hallway between the kitchen and the laundry room. If it was up to me, I'd get rid of that powder room. I think the one off the main hallway is sufficient and this second one is just too close to the kitchen. So if you you have another powder room, don't add the toilet to the laundry room. I think you will appreciate the extra space in the laundry room. I'd love more space when I do my laundry :-)

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

@ efc54

If you already have an accessible toilet on the main floor, I wouldn't put one into the laundry room. However, if you feel you have no other choice, put it in its own enclosed space with a door. It's just one of those things that buyers will either accept or hate. A better option from a resale standpoint would be to add a 1/2 bath to your property rather than try to squeeze a toilet into your laundry room. I'm late to this thread, so I'm sorry if you already addressed some of these possibilities in your earlier posts. Just looking for alternatives.

• efc54
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for your thoughts, everyone. I'm thinking I probably will nix the toilet idea, and concentrate on getting a nice laundry room. Even if I walled off the toilet, putting a toilet in the laundry room would substantially cut into the laundry space. I really appreciate the feedback--it was very helpful.

• User
    12 years ago

Just came across this on youtube so your situation is not far fetched as it seemed!

Here is a link that might be useful: Laundry and toilet