Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally found 20 Mule Team Borax

Posted by mara_2008 (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 30, 09 at 4:55

Out of four Walmart stores in my area, only one carries 20 Mule Team Borax! I'm not sure why this is so. I went to one yesterday which is not as convenient to my home as the others, and it was on the shelf there. (of course -- reminds me of Murphy's Law)

Anyhow, the Great Search is now over, LOL.

Now to see how it performs in my washer. That will be the acid test. I used it years ago and loved it. One great thing about it is the low price. If it doesn't do a great job, I didn't waste much money.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally found 20 Mule Team Borax

You'll get the best results from Borax if you use it in (the much scorned) HOT water. If you use cold water wash, an option to Borax for whites is to add 1/2-cup hydrogen peroxide in the bleach dispenser. Borax converts water to hydrogen peroxide, so you'll get a similar action from liquid 3% hydrogen peroxide on WHITES. Borax also "conditions" hard water so your detergent will work better.

I believe TIDE has a version with hydrogen peroxide in the formula that is supposed to work well on grease and stains, so you could "kill two birds with one stone", so to speak with just one product.

-Grainlady

o

There was a recent discussion about hydrogen peroxide in the bleach dispenser, hydrogen peroxide in cold water, and hydrogen peroxide in general.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/laundry/msg0615403713971.html?14

o

Borax is also a natural anti redepositing agent. Helps keep all the nastiness off during the wash.

All Tide powder detergents have hydrogen peroxide or a powdered form I should say. It is listed as sodium perborate on the PG website MSDS sheets. Basically the same thing as Oxi Clean.

If I remember correctly, the water tempurature must be at least 60F or higher for hydrogen peroxide (Oxi bleaches/cleaners) to be effective.

o

Grainlady, what Tide formula(s) have hydrogen peroxide in the formula that is supposed to work well on grease and stains?

happymom, the Tide w/bleach HE formula does not come in a powder -- I wish it did.

o

mara 2008 -

Just Google - Tide with hydrogen peroxide - and you'll find a number of sources that sell it.

-Grainlady

o

The ranges of percarbonate composition for Tide Free powder, and Tide With Bleach powder, according to their respective MSDS's, are 1-5% and 3-7%. Taking that literally, you could conclude:

1) Proctor & Gamble can't control the composition of their products with any degree of accuracy;

2) A package of Tide Free could contain more percarbonate than a package of Tide With Bleach.

I don't believe either of those is true. My conclusion is that MSDS's are of limited usefulness in predicting how a product will function. And of course, that's not their purpose.

o

Someone (I'm thinking cynic) said Kmart might have 20 Mule Team Borax. Sure enough, the ad which came in today's Sunday paper shows they have it on sale this week, for a great price -- about $1 cheaper than what I paid at Walmart.

We only have one Kmart left in our area, but it's convenient to our home. I'll probably buy a box when I go that way this week.

o

Don't know if all WalMart's will order if they don't have it, but we only have 1 WalMart, and they will order if you want something.

o

I've heard that, ilmbg, haven't thought to ask.

Also, our Walmarts will honor other stores' sale paper prices -- but not BOGO deals. I have taken other ads to Walmart to save time going from store to store, and they have honored their prices.

o

Try your local "Mom & Pop" type hardware store for the borax.

o

I am amazed at how well a wash with Borax and a vinegar rinse clean a load of smelly, moldy laundry. I use Borax daily, and find it in every store that I shop at here in Dallas for about $3-$4 a box. I don't understand the chemistry, but I know it's worth the extra time and money to put it into every load.

I quit using bleach about 3 years ago, I will never use bleach again in our laundry. Borax keeps our whites white, but doesn't wear out the clothes in the process. Bleach wore out our white clothing, and ultimately yellowed many whites, especially blends.

o

I love 20 Mule Team Borax. Target carry it in NJ

o

suburbanmd, may I conclude that you agree that using Borax is better than depending on a detergent to have the amount of oxygen bleach to do any good? Even my Arm & Hammer with baking soda?
Pat

o

Umm, no, I wouldn't say that :-) I've never used borax, and I use separate detergent and bleach because of personal preference.

o

Wal-Mart sells what people buy, in large volume.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here