Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sld_sandy

bravos mvwb 850

sld_sandy
12 years ago

Does the MAYTAG BRAVOS MVWB850 washer have the tangling and wrinkling problem I keep reading so much about in the top loaders? Advise will be greatly appreciated..

Comments (24)

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

I have this washer, and love it. I've never had any problem with tangling or wrinkling.

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

P.S. I have always shaken out clothes before putting them in the dryer, from the time I first started doing laundry. I still do this now, which is a great way to prevent wrinkled clothes. This is particularly helpful with jeans, and also causes towels to dry much faster.

• sld_sandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for all the advise on the Bravos MVWB 850. Hopefully I can find one in stock tomorrow, otherwise I'll be placing my order..I have had such a lemon with my current Maytag Atlantis, that I was hesitant in purchasing another Maytag. The Bravos 850 has had better recommendations than any other, so I'll give them another try. Maybe since the Whirlpool purchase of Maytag, the product has been improved.

• dianne47
    12 years ago

I've had this model for about a year. Yes, if you put lots of items in the tub - especially pants or other things that are long - you WILL get tangling. I always use the bulky and "hand wash" cycles, and try to not load too much in the washer. Yes, this defeats the purpose of an extra large tub.

One thing the Bravos is pretty good at is resolving unbalanced loads. When the machine gets unbalanced it runs a special set of actions (adds to the length of the cycle of course) that nearly always rebalances the load. Now, that I like.

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

dianne47, I've commonly washed loads of jeans all the way to the top of the drum on Normal or Power Wash cycles, and spun them out on HI speed, with no such problem. They are far less tangled than they used to be in my former traditional washers. I do use fabric softener mixed with vinegar. ITA with you about the great way the washer handles unbalanced loads.

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

P.S. My Bravos washer manual recommended washing jeans and T-shirts together in order to minimize tangling. When I did this, I loaded the washer with a load of jeans, then a layer of T-shirts, etc, until it was fully loaded.

I haven't had any problem when washing only jeans, but if someone had a problem, I'd suggest layering jeans and T-shirts in this way.

• sld_sandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Got my new Maytag Bravos MVWB850 Washer and the Bravos MEDB850 Dryer and become a "washing fool". I just love this pair..
    BUT, I have some questions on the settings. My old Maytag had a perm press setting, which setting would be recommended for this type clothes on the Bravos850?.
    Also, I, too, have noticed a "not so fluffy appearance and feel" in my towels. I use the same brand and amount of softner as I did in my other washer. But I do notice the towels are dryer feeling when I transfer them from the washer to the dryer. Could this be the result of the high spin?
    ONE MORE QUESTION~Cleaning the Washer. I know the washer guide recommends Affresh, but, what does that product do that Clorox doesn't? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated..
    I need a forum dedicated to just the Maytag Bravo pair...

• dadoes
    12 years ago

Use Colors/Towels for Perm Press items, or Normal.

Yes, of course, higher-speed spin removes more moisture. Quicker drying can result in less-soft towels. Consider trying a slower spin, or drying towels at a lower temperature.

Affresh contains sodium carbonate peroxyhydrate (oxygen bleach), sodium carbonate (washing soda), boric acid (antibacterial), probably some other cleaning/surfactant agents, and of course fragrance. Liquid chlorine bleach is primarily sodium hypochlorite.

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

I own this washer, and love it.

My old Maytag had a perm press setting, which setting would be recommended for this type clothes on the Bravos850?

I use Wrinkle Guard cycle and Low heat when drying knits and blends. I use Normal cycle and Medium heat when drying sturdier fabrics.

I, too, have noticed a "not so fluffy appearance and feel" in my towels. I use the same brand and amount of softner as I did in my other washer.

My towels are very fluffy. I do not use any fabric softener as it reduces absorbency. I do use white vinegar in the final rinse.

I do notice the towels are dryer feeling when I transfer them from the washer to the dryer. Could this be the result of the high spin?

Yes. I can now dry at least twice as many towels in a load, and they dry in half the time! (compared to my former traditional dryers) I love it.

Cleaning the Washer. I know the washer guide recommends Affresh, but, what does that product do that Clorox doesn't?

My washer came with Affresh and I used that 'til it was gone. My washer manual says I can use Affresh OR Clorox, so I use Clorox now.

• sld_sandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mara_2008 What a great response! Thank you...
    You mentioned you use white vinegar in the final rise. Do you put it in the softener dispenser and about how much do you use? I have been using the low spin speed and thought that might help, but it hasn't...Looking forward to your response and I'll be re-washing those towels as soon as I hear back!
    Thank you again...

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

Yes, I put the vinegar in the FS dispenser, and fill it about half full.

I forgot to mention earlier that using baking soda (1/2 to 1 cup) in the wash water helps to soften towels. (It also boosts the cleaning power of the detergent.)

• mikwash5
    12 years ago

I have been using this washer for a year and I do love it.

I have a question about washing whites. I want to avoid chlorine bleach and use hydrogen peroxide instead. Can I pour it in the bleach tray? It is written as "use only chlorine bleach". Does anyone use hydrogen peroxide? Thank you.

• dadoes
    12 years ago

Any "thin" liquid (NOT softener, which tends to be thick and goopy - softener dispensers typically use a different flushing method) can be dispensed from the liquid bleach dispenser. The warning regarding "use only chlorine bleach" is so POWDERS (although there is such a product as powdered chlorine bleach) are not put into the dispenser, which will clog it.

Keep in mind, however, that depending on the design of the machine, the bleach dispenser may activate during the first *rinse* period ... or if during the wash, when there's only a few mins of wash time remaining, which doesn't give oxygen-based bleach enough time to work.

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

mikwash, dadoes makes a good point. If I were going to use hydrogen peroxide instead of liquid chlorine bleach (and I have considered that), I think I would wait until the wash cycle had begun, then press Pause so the lid would unlock, pour in the hydrogen peroxide (not in one spot, but all around, maybe diluted in a quart of water?), then restart the washer to complete the wash cycle.

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

When I posted above, I had meant to say:

My first Bravos washer manual recommended washing jeans and T-shirts together in order to minimize tangling.

When I did this, I loaded the washer with a layer (not load, as I wrote above) of jeans, then a layer of cotton T-shirts, alternating, until it was fully loaded.

I haven't had any problem when washing only jeans, but if someone had a problem with tangling, I'd suggest layering jeans and T-shirts in this way.

I like to use the jeans cycle (also marked for towels), and using fabric softener and white vinegar (half and half) in the final rinse gives me great results.

• mikwash5
    12 years ago

Thank you dadoes and mara 2008.
    I have been pouring hydrogen peroxide after the wash cycle began, and it seems working (not making any bleached spots on clothes). I will try the bleach dispenser to see when it will actually dispense the liquid.

• sld_sandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mikwash5, please keep us updated on your use of hydrogen peroxide in the bleach dispenser. I've not used peroxide in my wash before. It it better than Clorox?

mara_2008, I used the vinegar in lieu of fabric softner and it did make the towels almost as soft as before. Much better. Thank you

• mikwash5
    12 years ago

sld sandy,

Peroxide is much friendly to the environment than Clorox. I haven't tested with whites yet, but it has taken care of odor on clothes. It also keeps washer cleaner.

• sld_sandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have been using 1 cup soda in my wash along with Cheer liquid detergent. In the Softner Dispenser I add about 1/4 to 1/5 Downy then fill to the line with vinegar.
    My towels are now soft and fluffy again!!!
    Thank you all for these suggestions..

• bestf100
    12 years ago

Hey, I have a request for one of you owners of the Bravos 850. I know the volume of your drum is said to be 4 cubic ft. If you could, could you give me a measurement (in inches) of the diameter as well as how deep the drum is.

I want to estimate what the G force is during its 1100 rpm spin. As a side note, it is my understanding that a 4.6 cubic ft Bravos is coming out.

Also, would you owners of this washer say that it cleans equal to, worse than or better than a front load washer that you have used (and name the brand).

• sld_sandy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bestf100 ~ My Bravos 850 Washer is approximately 16" deep from the botton to the top of the stainless steel drum (the rubber gasket is not included in the measurement) and 22ý in width. Would love to hear your estimate of the G force. I, too, I have read there is a larger size to be on the market soon, suppose to be the 950. I've not owned a front load washer, so I can't be of any help...

• bestf100
    12 years ago

sld sandy,

Thanks for that information. I'm doing this just for fun:

according the the formula;

g = 0.56 X D (n/1000) squared.

Whereby g force is measured in grams, D is diameter measured in mm, and n is washer spin rate expressed in rpms.

I used 1100 rpm, and a diameter of 571.5 mm.

I got a final G Force answer of 387.2 G

As a comparison, the smaller drum capacity Speed Queen front loader which I am also considering purchasing has a stated G Force of 305G. Its rpm is stated to be 1000 rpm.

If anyone wants to start a new thread, by stating their drum diameter and spin rpm's, I would be curious what washer model has the highest spin cycle G force you can buy for your money. Larger drum diameters contribute to higher G Forces at the same rpm rates. Maybe one day, we will have washers spin so fast, that it will only take 5 minutes to dry a load of clothes in the dryer! I hope I live long enough to see that.

• suburbanmd
    12 years ago

G-force isn't measured in grams, rather it's in units of gravity. Say you've got a damp pair of jeans that weighs 1 lb. in normal gravity. During a spin that generates 387g, the jeans would press against the drum with a force of 387 lbs.

• mara_2008
    12 years ago

mara_2008, I used the vinegar in lieu of fabric softner and it did make the towels almost as soft as before. Much better. Thank you

You're very welcome. I'm so glad to hear that this helped. :) I don't know if you saw my further comment, but 1/2 to 1 cup of baking soda in the wash (I just sprinkle it on top of the towels after I've loaded them) softens the wash water, thus the towels. Baking soda also boosts the detergent's cleaning power and leaves a very fresh scent.

bestf100, when I bought my Bravos 850 washer, it was listed as having a capacity of 5.2 cu ft. It holds huge loads of laundry; I can wash a king-size fluffy comforter with ease.