Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mara_2008

*Finally* found Tide w/bleach HE powder!

mara_2008
12 years ago

After months and months of fruitless searches at various stores, I *finally* found Tide w/bleach HE powder. I am so excited; I love the scent, and it cleans so well. IMHO, it cleans better than the liquid formula, and has a fresher scent. Here's hoping it stays on the market forever. ;)

Comments (23)

• larsi_gw
    12 years ago

Where and how?? What you describe is not even on Tide's website or on any other P & G site!!

• cleanteamofny
    12 years ago

Tide with bleach He is just regular Tide with bleach with a He label.
    It does not suds up like other powder detergent.

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

@cleanteamofny
    Tide with bleach He is just regular Tide with bleach with a He label.How do you know this?

• sparky823
    12 years ago

Larsi: Not disputing your word, but it is on the Tide website.

• Cavimum
    12 years ago

I saw it at Target today, or, I think this was it (link below). I didn't buy the Tide, as I was unsure of the scent. That box was sealed up really tight. ;o)

Here is a link that might be useful: Ultra Tide HE plus bleach powder

• cleanteamofny
    12 years ago

I have both boxes and used both and suds level stayed the same!

Here is a link that might be useful: And pictures to prove that I have both in my stash! Post # 505248

• covingtoncat
    12 years ago

@ Cleanteam: Your linky doesn't work.

• cleanteamofny
    12 years ago

Link does work and I uploaded picture to Flickr also.

Here is a link that might be useful: TWB/TWB he on Flickr

• Cavimum
    12 years ago

@cleanteamofny - the original
    link does work but I get the following message:

The Super Forum Archives are only available to donating members only at this time.
    If you are upgraded but not logged-in, please log-in above to view this archived thread.

Since I'm not a member of that forum, nor one that requires a donation, I can't proceed past that message. Your photos on the Flickr show up fine. No donation necessary for that one. ;-)

• Tracey_OH
    12 years ago

I found it at Sam's Club. It's a 10 lb box and I paid around $17.00 for it.

Tracey

• cleanteamofny
    12 years ago

please log-in above to view this archived thread.

Sorry about that, I forgot that archived threads can be read by members only!
    There is a minimum of $7.00 to join for a whole year to keep the website afloat due to high volume posting, pictures and AVI/Mpeg's. So feel free to join in if you like older appliances! :-))

Oh yea, I do love the scent of Tide with Bleach and it cleans too, just like Lucy would say drinking vitameatavegamin!

Here is a link that might be useful: And it's tasty too, just like candy!

• jasonblue
    12 years ago

Yes, don't miss that link that cleanteamofny just posted. It gives you everything you need to know. My favorite "laugh out loud" clip.

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

The HE version contains silicone - non-HE does not contain this ingredient. Silicone is used in detergents as a suds inhibitor. If you are going to use the non-HE version as cleanteamofny recommends and find that it suds too much at the recommend doses, you may wish to try the HE product before reducing the dose. Remember, lowering detergent dose due to sudsing deprives your clothes of the surfactants, enzymes and soil suspension agents they need to get property cleaned. This is why using non-HE versions of detergents in front loaders often leads to mold, mildew and odor issues - people don't use enough of the product. As a result, dirt, grime and oil gets plastered back onto your clothes and the internals of the machine.

• izeve
    12 years ago

@sshrivastava, both versions contain silicone - check the link. The list of ingredients is the same for both HE and non-HE versions. Of course, we don't know if the proportions of everything are the same but the list is the same...

Do any of you Tide powder users have issues with rinsing? I have used Tide HE Liquid F&C for a while and had a lot of build up. It sudses more than other detergents and I find it difficult to rinse.

Here is a link that might be useful: Non-HE Tide with Bleach

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

@ izeve

Actually the two products are different, but the ingredient I identified was the wrong one. It's actually SILICATE that is present in the HE version, but lacking in the non-HE version. Silicates are used in detergents as soil suspension and anti-re-deposition agents. Silicates also inhibit corrosion of stainless steel and aluminum by synthetic detergents and phosphates.

One should ask themselves why P&G felt it necessary to include the above product, with its correspondingly positive qualities, in only the HE version.

• itguy08
    12 years ago

My guess is because of all the corroded cast aluminium spiders that seem to plague a lot of FL machines. There are silicates in automotive antifreeze for just that reason as they contain aluminium, cast iron, brass, and a bunch of metals all touching each other.

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

@itguy08

I think you've put your finger on it. Look at it this way... one scoop of the HE product contains the same amount of surfactants, enzymes, etc. as a scoop of the non-HE version. But here's the kicker... the detergent is far more concentrated in your front loader because the same amount of detergent dissolves in a far smaller quantity of water. Therefore, the potential for corrosion, soil re-deposition and color transfer is far higher in a front loader.

The message here is that if you use the non-HE version, you will be at higher risk for corrosion and build-up. Spider corrosion is a big cause of premature front load washer failures. For those of you who think non-HE is the same as HE, go ahead and make yourself the subject of an experiment and get back to us in a few years. You've made such a big investment in the machine, it seems silly to skimp on the detergent.

• izeve
    12 years ago

Hmm, so by this logic, every HE detergent should contain Silicate or some other magic ingredient to prevent corrosion? I just checked the ingredients of Clorox Green Works (HE symbol on the bottle) and it does not seem to have any anti-corrosion ingredients.

Does anyone know who and how determines whether a detergent is worthy of HE symbol?

• itguy08
    12 years ago

Not sure about that. But I wonder if one of the natural components in Green Works also is a corrosion inhibitor. I think glycerol has some corrosion inhibiting properties, as does a few other things, including some dyes.

I would hope that a proper detergent would have a corrosion inhibitor in it for the sake of all machines.

• mara_2008
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry it took me so long to return to this thread; I've been very busy of late.

I found this new product (at least it's new to me) at BJ's warehouse club. The box weighs almost 16 lb. (15.81 to be exact) and BJ's sent out a $5 coupon on it, which brought the price down to about $12.

When I used it on a load of white T-shirts, socks, and undies (sanitizing cycle, extra-hot water heated by the washer's water heater), it worked great. Worked just as great on towels, except that it sudsed a bit more, and some of those towels were REALLY dirty/stained (had been used on outdoor cleaning projects). I'll use less on towels from now on. LOVE the cleaning power and the scent. :)

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

@ izeve

You're right, not all detergents contain anti-corrosion and anti-redeposition agents, especially those that are green and/or natural. Have you seen all the pictures online of aluminum spider corrosion? Nobody seems to know what's causing it - some say it's galvanic corrosion, others say it's bleach, while others blame detergents without corrosion inhibitors. I can control 2 out of those 3 factors by not using chlorine bleach and selecting detergents that I know contain corrosion inhibitors. Obviously other people make different choices.

I am of the opinion that not all detergents are created equally, and some are more thoughtful in protecting your machine internals than others. As a consumer, it's up to me to make the final choice of what I am going to buy. If you spent a lot of money on your car, you'd want to use the best hard wax and leather protectants you could find in order to protect your investment. I feel the same way about my appliances.

• livebetter
    12 years ago

"not all detergents contain anti-corrosion and anti-redeposition agents, especially those that are green and/or natural"

@sshrivastava, you've made this statement before and I'm not convinced you are correct. Perhaps some don't but I'm sure a lot do.

Which brands specifically do not contain these ingredients? How familiar are you with each component of detergent? Are you knowledgeable enough to say that none of the ingredients do that particular job? (Maybe you're a chemist - I don't know.)

I think unless you are 100% sure of what you say, you are misleading people - perhaps scaring them from making greener choices.

Repeating myself here ... the greenest thing about these detergents is that their surfactants are made from renewable resources and not depleting fossil fuel. I can't see why on earth because they are "green" they would omit important ingredients. Are they toxic? I don't know.

I'm going to email some of the "greener" companies and see what they have to say about their formulations so if you could be specific on brands you believe do not contain said ingredients, that would be helpful.

• sshrivastava
    12 years ago

@ livebetter

No, I'm not a chemist * LOL * In fact, one of my worst teachers in high school was a chemistry teacher. From my limited knowledge, silicates are generally included in detergents as "washer protection agents" or "anti corrosion agents". Perhaps some detergents are more aggressive and require this ingredient while others do not, I don't know. I purchased a laundry soap made specifically for conditioned water that contains as it's 2nd or 3rd ingredient sodium metasilicate, which is a corrosion inhibitor. Softened water is notoriously aggressive against metals. The salts in conditioned water corrode the anodes in hot water heaters pretty readily. Soft water can also do a good job leaching copper out of copper water pipes, sometimes causing "blue water" to come out of peoples' taps. This sometimes happens in newer homes, but the corrosion will eventually form a coating on the inside of copper pipes that acts as an insulator against the corrosion.

Did you know that the name PERSIL comes from the two primary ingredients in its original formulation? The PER comes from PERborate and the SIL comes from SILicates.