Return to the Laundry Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My old Maytag won't drain

Posted by jimbo_f (My Page) on
Sat, May 1, 10 at 23:06

Well, I knew this day would come sooner or later. My 1992 vintage Maytag LAT8600AAL washer has a problem and won't drain. The drum still spins and appears to go through all the cycles but it stays full of water.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Is the pump belt driven in this machine? I still have to bail the water out of the machine so I can move it. I've never worked on a washer before. Is everything accessed through the bottom after laying the machine on its side?

I hope it is something cheap and simple as I hate the thought of having to replace this machine. It is 18 years old and this is the first problem it has ever had.

Thanks for any advise you could give.

Jimbo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My old Maytag won't drain

This is a "classic" two-belt Maytag. The front panel comes off, look for two screws set at an angle in the lower crease. Remove the screws, swing the panel up then it releases from the top (two clips hold it up there). The pump is at the right front. The motor has a double pulley. One belt runs to the transmission drive at the center, the other goes across to the pump. Expect the pump belt to be fairly loose, that's normal, but check it for wear or perhaps if it's broken. Check the pump if it doesn't turn easily.

The motor is on a spring-loaded carriage, make sure it moves easily, the glide rollers aren't stuck/broken/worn. The drive belt serves as the spin clutch, it's a special fabric-covered belt that is designed to slip until spin gets up to speed. Replacement belts MUST be of the proper type. A belt without the covering will grab too much during spin, causing an overload on the motor.

Belt tension is adjusted by way of moving the pump in its slotted mount. Pinch the pump belt together halfway between the pump and motor. If the motor carriage starts to move with MORE than 1/4" gap then the pump is too TIGHT.

The motor pulley can also wear over time causing improper belt tension/operation. My sister & bro-in-law had one of the pulley flanges come loose, the pump belt kept slipping off.

o

Thanks dadoes. I took it all apart this morning. The belts seemed to be OK so I took the pump out and find that the impeller does not turn when the pulley is spun so I guess the pump needs replacing as all the hoses are free of obstructions. I've never taken a washer apart before and was surprised how simple it was to take apart and easy to get to the parts I needed get at.

It appears this washer was made when Maytag was still making a robust machine as it has a steel out tub, good hose clamps etc. I was thinking of getting new machine but now I think I will just replaced the pump and as long as I'm in there I might as well replace the drain and fill hoses along with the belts. Even though the machine is 18 years old it doesn't see heavy use so it should be good for a few more years with some basic maintenance items.

Thanks again for your helpful reply.

Jimbo

o

I ordered a new pump along with all new rubber hoses and belts on Sunday, they were at my front door when I got home this afternoon and an hour later the ol' Maytag is back in action. Hopefully she will keep chugging along a few more years.

Thanks again dadoes.

o

I replaced both belts with the correct ones and replaced the pulley system springs on my 1985 Maytag "the beast" But my motor was geting tired. sometime it would spin sometimes it would just stit there when power was applied. I ened up getinga Bosch front load instead of puting a motor in it. It was a VERY well built unit.

o

shortlid said: But my motor was geting tired. sometime it would spin sometimes it would just stit there when power was applied.
Do you mean that the motor sometimes would be stalled ... or that the motor runs but the machine's basket didn't spin?

If the latter, did you clean the motor & transmission pulleys? You said you replaced the motor carriage springs, but did you also clean and lubricate the rollers? The motor pulley can also wear over time and need replacement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Laundry Room Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here